Kennel Or Van?

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Angelwitch, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Angelwitch

Angelwitch Funster

House sold and so it begins,waited years for this...The ferry?dog owners out there ,does your pooch travel better in your van or has anyone tried the onboard kennels?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Tunnel for us.. dogs stay in van (y)

• Like Like x 6
  3. gailsunnymeed

gailsunnymeed Funster

We use the ferries but the dogs have always stayed in the van

• Like Like x 5
  4. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I've seen the kennels, and some of the dogs are clearly distressed in there. I would say tunnel first option as only 40 mins, and you stay in the van with your pet.

• Like Like x 4
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

same as Sue, saw the kennels on a Hull crossing once, like a broom cupboard double decker kennels, nobody allowed in for about 15 hours, looked awful

Chunnel for us too (y)

• Like Like x 2
  6. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

This depends on many things, such as:

Which crossing are you using? Many longer routes have dog-friendly cabins now, such as Brittany ferries Economie service. Some crossings REQUIRE you to leave them in onboard kennels, which I think is stressful for all but the most laid-back, confident dogs.
    Is your dog used to, and happy, to spend time alone in your van?

I've been crossing for over twenty years with dogs. Despite my dog (and past dog) being well-trained and trusting, I prefer to use the shortest crossings available and leave them in the van, music on, plenty of water and importantly, not too much fuss when I leave (I'm a dog training instructor - the bigger a deal you make, the guiltier you act for leaving them, the more anxious they will become).

I have left my present dog up to five hours in the van on crossings (Marseille - Corsica). To get to the continent, I use the simple Dover-Calais crossing - my dog is so familiar with it, she often stays sleepily in her bed while I lock up and head for the stairs. Some people prefer the tunnel as they can stay with their dogs - fine, but better to train your dog to cope with being alone so you are not a slave to that.
    I have once used onboard kennels as there was no other option - Patras - Venice (24 hours) but the entire top deck was available for walking them and I just found a corner of the deck and 'camped-out' with her most of the time. This winter I drive to Sicily, taking the ferry back to Genoa which offers a special deal - dog cabins available.

Jac

• Like Like x 7
  7. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

We've always left ours in the car/van ever since the pet passport was introduced, even on 12 hour crossings (just went to let them out for a pee mid crossing).
    Much less stressful than being left in a strange uncomfortable kennel

• Like Like x 2
  8. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

Tried the kennels but now leave him in the van, last returned via the tunnel. Much better, won't use the ferry now unless the price is too good to refuse(y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Just wondered how you could get to your can mid crossing to walk your dog? Normally you can't access the vehicle decks for safety reasons.
    Dog friendly cabins are difficult to book as my understanding us you have to book well in advance, as there is not many of them.

10. SandT

SandT Funster

Our dog stays in the RV on long or short crossings, tried the kennels once on the Grimaldi line to Sicily.
    Terrible kennels right by the engine exhaust and just open mesh. Dog got soaked overnight and was shaking the next morning, never again!

Never had a problem accessing the vehicle deck for dog walks etc.

Terry

11. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

So if you are going for example Dover to Calais do you have a choice as to whether to put them in a kennel or can you leave them in the MH? and is it around 4 hrs?

12. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

We use tunnel as well so dogs don't get left alone. Never used kennels on any crossing but the ones we have seen are stacked and open to busy decks.
    When we lived in Germany did leave 2 eldest in car on short crossing when we moved over, wouldn't do it again, too many stories of dogs in distress. Saying that would be different in a motorhome as much bigger. Our two eldest dogs would be ok left in the motorhome for a shorter crossing alone, the youngest wouldn't. Only you know how your own dog will cope.
    For us cost is not an option always the dogs welfare so we have only used tunnel since, both with car and MH with no issues.

Lin :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Angelwitch

Angelwitch Funster

Thanks for all that you wonderful lot.Our first trip is Ireland ,so no tunnel! Also can i leave my gas on for my fridge? wanted to pack my freezer before i go,and dont want my beer getting warm!(horror of horrors!)

14. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

No!!! Large ice packs are the answer...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome to the madhouse! :)

What dog have you got? We use the tunnel for France etc as one of our little dogs got severely frightened on a ferry when she was in our MH and now is a quivering wreck! As 2 of our dogs are small, when we went to Ireland we put them in 'holdall' type dog carriers and took them up to the lounge with us, sitting in an out of the way quiet place. No-one batted an eyelid (they stayed in their carriers) and it was permitted for foot passengers to do this anyway.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  16. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

No they stay in the vehicle & the crossing is only just over an hour . Dover -Dunkirk being slightly longer distance is nearer 1,5 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Angelwitch

Angelwitch Funster

She's a patterdale very loving but a tad timid....have to use medication around bonfire night.She is used to being in van alone when we go to gigs but i'm nervous that she will be worried about the noise from the ferry and the 'motion'.

18. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

We did live on board with our 3 earlier in yr (long crossing though) and yes the decks on ferries are noisy, ours were a bit unsure at first even with us with them. If it's a short trip and on a ferry that accepts foot passengers, maybe one of you could walk on with the dog and stay on deck, or may even be option to walk her to deck once on board?

19. Minxy Girl

Unfortunately the only ferry I'm aware of that allows 'unrestrained' dogs on-board is the one to the Isle of Wight, for all others it's either stay in the vehicle, or go in the on-board kennels. UK to France ones and UK to Ireland don't allow them to be unrestrained.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Minxy Girl

One of ours is a Patterdale and she's the one that was frightened, as your dog is already wary I'd be tempted to do the 'holdall' trick - there are some proper doggie ones that are very discrete in design so you'd be hard pushed to tell them from a standard holdall without being very close! (y)

Example of what I'm on about below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-L-Size-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4d1f927868

• Like Like x 1