keeping your pitch

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mandymops, Apr 28, 2012.

1. mandymops

mandymops Read Only Funster

I am shortly going to set of in my mini camper for the first time. I'm not going with a set plan. Just seeing where the van takes me. Two questions:-
    Firstly,My van will be my transport during the day and so I'm wondering what the etiquette is regarding reserving your pitch if you are returning to the same site?
    Secondly, Is it legal to just park up if you're in transit and can't find a site? My van is the size of a normal car and someone told me the police had said it was perfectly legal if you didn't discharge waste or cause a disturbance. does anyone know if this is true?

2. buttons

buttons Funster

I have a small toilet tent that I leave on the pitch, it fits into a shoe box and only takes two mins to erect. It is also very handy for storage while on the site. As far as stop-over etiquette, as long as you are sensible and considerate, you should have no problems. I often do it and have never been challenged, this is one of the benefits of having a small van.

3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

There are various signs that you can buy with your name or reg number to leave on your pitch to indicate that it is taken, or you can just leave a chair and bits to let people know.

You can wild camp though its not strictly legal lots of people do, if you are camping on transit a lot of the layby's you will see with lorrys parked up for the night, we often feel safer in these than some where on your own, if you do park up on your own, always make sure you can drive out easily if you need to.

Enjoy your travels in you van I am sure you will have a great time.

4. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We bought a "Motorhome Using this Pitch" sign that sticks into the ground whilst you're away for the day. It cost us £6 at one of the CC sites recently, however, you could always make your own:thumb:

However, we were told by a warden that if a caravan decided to set up in our pitch whilst we were away "we" would have to move and not them:Angry: So all in all, what's the point in sticking a sign in the grass if this is the case.

They looked at it from the point of view that it was easier for a mh to shift than asking the caravan owner to hitch up and move somewhere else. One ruling that we don't like about sites:Angry:

I'm sure someday we'll come back and find someone parked in front of it though and that will be interesting:Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  5. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I have a utility tent, which is a good way to reserve a pitch :Smile:.

When that's not set up I used to have a homemade sign, but in my small van that was taking up too much room :Blush: so now I just leave my grey-water bucket on the pitch (preferably pegged-down).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I leave my wastehog and spare ehu cable (not the good one)...

Depends on the site though. Some I wouldn't as they would get half inched but I tend to avoid those type of sites anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bushtrekker

Bushtrekker Read Only Funster

Move them off!

Theoretically and legally there should be a gap between tents or vehicles for fire safety reasons, which is why licences for camp sites stipulate how many tents area allowed, but unfortunately people tend to ignore that.

A few years ago we were camping , using power from the land rover for lighting and we went out for the day. When we returned we found two small tents had been pitched in our parking place, so I pointed out that they were in our parking space and they moved. If they hadn't I would have simply told the site owner and got them moved on safety grounds.

I would argue that if you have booked and paid for a pitch and someone moves onto it whilst you are out, they get moved.

With regard to stopping en route, safety has to be paramount, especially in your situation, as laybys tend to be used for all sorts of unsavoury activities and you need to make sure you can get your vehicle out if someone knocks your window or peers through, as someone has already said.

8. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We wild camped in a Forestry Commission Picnic area once.
    For much of the evening we had cars stopping and flashing their headlights or brake lights at us!:Eek!:
    We moved on to somewhere quieter.

Upon arriving home, we googled the location and found it was a popular 'dogging' location!:Eeek:
    The flashing lights, apparently, are a communication method meaning 'come and get it here'!:Eeek:

We will stop there next time we are passing!!!!!:thumb::Rofl1: (Que a firm slap from Shell!)

Don't let our story put you off though, we weren't in any danger. There are some lovely places so stop over away from the madding crowd and there are sites which list 'wild camping' spots.:thumb:

Happy travels.

• Like Like x 4
  9. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

When I was at secondary school ( long time ago:RollEyes:) I used to do a lot of "dogging":Laughing::Laughing:

Way back then it simply meant "playing truant", but of course today it means something completely different:Wink:
    Margaret

10. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:what does dogging mean????:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Bob:Blush::Blush::Blush:

11. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Bob, watch this, it explains all. :Rofl1::Rofl1: And to everybody, buy the DVD it is wonderful. :Cool::Eeek::Rofl1:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXzaVOk_Ydk[/ame]

• Like Like x 7
  12. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Isn't it great how these threads can go off at a tangent!!!

We've gone from "keeping your pitch" to "dogging":Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Margaret:Laughing:

13. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Yep. Dogging first mentioned in post 8. :Rofl1:

14. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Quote from the Guidance issued by Natural England
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

?? This doesn't even mention dogging, threads been highjacked :Doh:

:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Its funny the only sensible post comes from someone who likes wearing no clothes:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  17. mandymops

mandymops Read Only Funster

educational

Gee,thanks everyone.The questions I have asked (and a few I didn't) have been comprehensively answered.:Rofl1:

18. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

How can you "wear" no clothes?......:RollEyes::RollEyes:

19. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hmmm! Bad enough, but in this weather, it's freezing over here today!

20. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Re the hoary old chestnut of overnight parking, this website

http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/

has been meticulously put together by a guy who's written to every local authority in the land about the topic. He also asked MH owners to contact him with their own recommended parking places.

Apparently, the thing to avoid is stopping overnight in MARKED parking bays, where local by-laws prevent overnight stopping, usually on the assumption that fires are being ignited in the vehicle.

Parking in lay-bys with trucks is a possible option, but ideally use the ones that are set back from the road, otherwise you'll wobble every time a truck passes. In fact leave those sort of spots for elderly exponents of dogging, where the occasional wobble might help things along a bit.

Most motorway service areas allow 24 hour parking, but at a cost, which varies from host company to host company, and often involves paying online using a debit/credit card and a mobile phone.

If you're heading for the Dover ferry there's always the Canterbury Park'n'Ride, which charges £2.50 a night, including a free return bus ticket to Canterbury. However, it doesn't permit entry on a Sunday, only exit.

• Like Like x 1