Keeping up appearances in the MH (1 Viewer)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi funsters

A friend is in the process of getting a MH and one of the things that came up was doing ironing in the MH . I had to admit to having an iron as well as an ironing board in the garage which has been used maybe once or twice in 6 years.
My friend was horrified since he must have his shirts ironed and will not wear man made materials . Our wardrobe mainy consists of outdoor gear from Rohan ,Graghoppers and Columbia etc which can be washed and dried in minutes and no ironing necessary . Shorts , shirts and teeshirts in the summer and fleeces and gilets and baselayers for the winter . Years of roughing it on boats and Motorhomes has pretty much dictated the style . We do have one decent smart casual outfit but often it stays in the wardrobe unused . I would like to know how everyone else copes with trying to keep up appearances in the MH since it seems that we gave up trying long ago .
Same as you years of narrowboating ,caravaning,and motohoming dictates the wardrobe.

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
I roll most of my clothes and they are easy to find in the locker.
No ironing done here.:reel::reel:

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Weddings and funerals is the only time the iron gets an airing, before it can be used the cob webs need dusting off.
Work shirts seem to be non iron , even though there not.
When I was lad , me mother used to spend hours ironing and my brothers and I had to iron our school trousers every Sunday .
No more I say!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I iron everything. I have an iron and ironing board in the van. Maybe as Dawn said I need to get a life however I cant stand creases :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
When this friend insisted he couldn't manage in a MH without an iron, could it have been Broken Link Removed?

That would certainly put the camp in camper van.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I iron, it just feels nicer when you wear it and I quite like doing the ironing whilst I listen to the radio.

I also do quilting and patchwork and you need to press the seams if you want it to work......

However I do not take iron and ironing board in the motorhome - although if we were on a longish trip I might take sewing machine and iron so I can do patchwork.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Having spat, bulled, cleaned, starched, scrubbed and ironed my way through 30+ years so far! I'd have to be flogged before I took an iron into the MH :)

I'm still laughing at the very thought of it all :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Each to their own I say. If people want to iron, then that's fine by me, by noooooo way am I doing it. Lifestyle dictates the clothing :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I agree yer seams need to be pressed when sewing, also the first time you put the crease in a new pair of trousers you've made you need a lump of wood covered in a smooth cotton cloth to bag the steam in - it can be done with your steam iron but the irons aren't heavy enough now - to bang the steam into the crease - then you have permanent press creases so Oh Please! make sure they are in the right place first off !

Not everybody knows that, but coming from a dynasty of tailoring has been useful over the years!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Can't believe that people don't iron! Boy, has this thread been a relevlation. Ok, so not in the Motorhome, but not iron at all? I thought ironing was the norm. No, really I did.

Mrs Wingman has a pile of it each week and there's only the two of us. She doesn't even think about it. Even underwear gets ironed!

There is an advert in a local ironing shop for part-time staff. They just cannot cope with the demand so it's obviously still popular.

No wonder folk are seen in 'scruff kit' at rallies :D I genuininely, never considered not going out in anything that's not ironed. Even the Rohans, Craghoppers and cargo trousers all get a press and crease! My mum said, "Put a shine in your shoes and a crease in your trousers son and you won't go wrong"

Know we're on holiday, but just couldn't be seen in anything that hasn't been ironed. When I'm on the road, I would hate to let the side down by looking as if I'd been living rough for a week, even though the clothes were clean. When you stop for fuel, how nice to alight from the van in something other than the 'uniform' of a fleece and shorts and reinforce the perception of the stereotypical camper.

I'd like to go back to the days when we dressed for dinner :D

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
you may think that the butler will do it. no I wont. this butler does not do it for himself. love the butlers.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Can't believe that people don't iron! Boy, has this thread been a relevlation. Ok, so not in the Motorhome, but not iron at all? I thought ironing was the norm. No, really I did.

Mrs Wingman has a pile of it each week and there's only the two of us. She doesn't even think about it. Even underwear gets ironed!

There is an advert in a local ironing shop for part-time staff. They just cannot cope with the demand so it's obviously still popular.

No wonder folk are seen in 'scruff kit' at rallies :D I genuininely, never considered not going out in anything that's not ironed. Even the Rohans, Craghoppers and cargo trousers all get a press and crease! My mum said, "Put a shine in your shoes and a crease in your trousers son and you won't go wrong"

Know we're on holiday, but just couldn't be seen in anything that hasn't been ironed. When I'm on the road, I would hate to let the side down by looking as if I'd been living rough for a week, even though the clothes were clean. When you stop for fuel, how nice to alight from the van in something other than the 'uniform' of a fleece and shorts and reinforce the perception of the stereotypical camper.

I'd like to go back to the days when we dressed for dinner :D
Underwear!!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
my wife will iron my jeans at home... but never in our van.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
my wife will iron my jeans at home... but never in our van.
Just wondering [and teasing a little], but if they're your jeans, and you want them ironed, why aren't you ironing them yourself? Do you iron your wife's jeans? Now THAT would be "togetherness"!!!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Yes I iron everything at home too. But I don't take an iron in the van just for a weekend. No need. I do if we go abroad. Always.

Stuff that will crease , gets ironed then hung up in the wardrobe , in the van.
Obviously , I don't iron fleeces and some jumpers. They don't need it. But I do sweatshirts , T shirts , boxer shorts etc.
I do all the kids stuff , put it on their beds. If they choose to squish it in a drawer, then it's up to them to re iron it.

I'd no sooner go out looking like a creased up rag, than I would with unkempt hair and no makeup.

But it seems like I must be in a minority, in a mass of motorhoming mingers:wink::rofl:

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My T shirts get "ironed" as soon as I put them on and When Mrs Badknee irons my dress shirts she uses a wok. :LOL:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'd rather be out walking. The sheep don't mind if I have creases in my Craghoppers. But then, Craghoppers & Rohans etc don't crease. And even if the sheep DID mind, I wouldn't mind that they did!

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I'm concerned about your revelations vis a vis
the Sheep not minding you having creased Craghoppers
how do you know this ??

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
they never said anything...
oh gosh, when they go "Mmmmaaaaahhh!!!" maybe they ARE telling me something!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
"Men sweat, women perspire, ladies merely glow"
Maybe they're just amazed at how much I'm glowing.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
This is Sedge not Pete.

Why would I spend money on non-iron clothing - then iron it? If it NEEDS ironing, eg linen and such - of course it gets ironed - but I wouldn't take it in the motorhome unless for some specific occasion. The wardrobe in this one is so small it's hard to keep creases out of flipping coats but a huge armoire wasn't our priority.

Many years ago I read you shouldn't iron nappies (Towelling ones of course) since it made them less absorbent. I therefore ceased to iron both towels and tea-towels since the same must apply to them and so my relationship with the iron has progressed .....

I have only owned four since I first married in 1971 ....

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I thought the point of linen suits etc is that it's only posh if it's wrinkly? Or maybe I just made that up to justify my minging habits...

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Think I must be in the minority because I love ironing,I do all ours at home and find it a good way to unwind. Mined you I think most ex forces are good at ironing but surely we all take a dress suit to dress for dinner, don't we? :whistle:

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the answers .It has been a revelation .....ironing underpants ....whatever next ! I must confess to ironing everything at home before we take the clothes to the MH but to be honest the gear that we take to the MH really does not need it and it is hard to tell the difference after the first wash . Recently I looked at old family photos and it is amazing how well turned out my parents generation were . Hats ,gloves and handbags ...in proper grown up clothes ! All this was before leisure wear was invented for better or for worse !

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have no need to keep up appearances.

They see me get out of a Classic Hymer 660S and they instinctively know I ooze quality and good taste...

JJ :cool:
But what about the tux ??.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back