Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
How to people generally keep their motorhomes warm while on the slopes?
Do you generally find somewhere with EHU and use an electric heater, if so what type etc?
Or do you run the gas heating and re-fill periodically?

Thanks,

Billy

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You will need to run your heating system 24/7.
You will need to use your blown air, because without it there will be no warm air circulation and your water system will freeze.
How you run your system is up to you, an electric fan heater won't cut it I'm afraid.
You need to be wary of cold spots around your van. A well designed blown air or radiator system should ensure all your pipework is protected from freezing. A pipe simply touching the outer wall of your van is prone to freezing in Alpine conditions.

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Thanks for your reply, seems obvious to keep the heating system running but a little concerned about the gas consumption, guess I'll just have to include that in to my budget.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We heat with diesel, but when it is really cold, most folks use a 13 kg Propane cylinder roughly every 3 days.
What sort of van have you got?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
We have a Euramobil, so fully winterised.
Just hoping I could effectively supplement with an electric heater when on EHU to reduce my gas bill

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You'll be needing to keep that double floor warm with gas heating I'm afraid.
You picked the right van for the job though!
You can reduce your gas consumption drastically with a complete cab cover. A lot of heat is lost through the cab and just screen covers only work so well.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
A bit of time spent adding radiator insulation or similar to any coldspots will help too. Footwells, etc. Garage. Make pads for windows skylights etc too but remember you need to ensure some ventilation.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
That's 2 dogs then Kev and poor Sue in the basket?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
How to people generally keep their motorhomes warm while on the slopes?
Do you generally find somewhere with EHU and use an electric heater, if so what type etc?
Or do you run the gas heating and re-fill periodically?

Thanks,

Billy

We've been motorhoming for about 27 years and I've spent four winters in Norway North of the Arctic Circle but I've picked up some useful tips from this thread........brilliant. Every day a school day and thanks to the OP for starting it and all the contributors. (y)
# 11 is the one that does it for me:D

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I plug into the 'leccy and run the heater. But in Austria you pay per unit used and that ends up costing as much as the pitch..
Lovely and snug though!

Ian67

Free Member
Dec 17, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Vauxhall Novano
Exp
I use an oil heater. Most come with a thermostat which I just leave on all the time its allot safer than a fan heater as there have been reports of them causing van fires.

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Ive been thinking about an oil heater, what power would you consider sufficient?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would suggest a 1Kw - 24/7 should be plenty to keep it aired.
If you think it necessary although I have never bothered not even with our narrow boat, once the weather warms up it warms up.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I'd second what Stealaway said and this is what we use. Don't think it would be sufficient for the Alps but on winters in Norfolk and North Wales it's kept us cosy. It's main benefit when we're sleeping is that it's not waking us up everytime it fires up like the van system does. It just takes the chill off nicely.

Edited to add the link won't work for some obscure reason but its a Beldray 700W oil filled on Amazon/Ebay etc etc

Ian67

Free Member
Dec 17, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Vauxhall Novano
Exp
I have a 700w in the van at the moment and it keeps it nice and warm. Though when the temps dropped down to 0 to +3 a couple of weeks ago. It struggled to keep up. It maybe safer to go larger.
Another good thing is mine fits perfectly under the sink when stored away.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Everyone has great ideas
However the reality is not just keeping the living area warm and comfortable.
But the bits where your water pipes run.
In our hab section it's warm but lifting the settee cover and feeling behind our water tank it's bloody freezing we run the blown air heating to stop this freezing remember most water pipes run behind cupboards and boxed in sections. We purchased a cheap £4.50 ice detector from Lidl. The sensor hangs down near our water pump and the wiring runs to the control panel in the habitation area. If the temp drops to about 2 degress an alarm sounds. Terrific if you are in bed overnight and the gas runs out.
Well worth investing in
I even carry a spare

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back