Keeping that battery(ies) topped up when not in use (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
This is a very popular subject with lots of input from the knowledgeable techies here.
I'm not one of that elite group but just experienced my own "over winter" experience.

I run a Toyota HiAce Devon Sunrise equipped with a 5 year old 110ah leisure battery and 2 X 89ah engine batteries of unkown age.
Towards the end of last year, with lots of guidance from the experts here, I mounted a lowly 80ah panel to my pop top. Just a cheapo regulator. The total cost was less than £100.
We've been away for 8 weeks from early January. The camper has been sitting on our south facing drive and I understand there's not been a great deal of sunshine in that time -:) Just the immobiliser running.

Just checked the leisure... 14.3v and the Battery Master (fitted prior) LED glowing red :). Engine started immediately at the first turn.

Well pleased.

Possibly encouraging to those who have to leave in open storage over winter.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cover the solar panel, leave an hour or two, then check battery voltage again.
The voltage (14.3) is the panel charge voltage, not the actual battery voltage which, if fully charged, should be 12.6v.
I'm not saying your battery isnt charged but that will give you a more accurate state of charge.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
The voltage (14.3) is the panel charge voltage, not the actual battery voltage which, if fully charged, should be 12.6v.
I'm not saying your battery isnt charged but that will give you a more accurate state of charge.

Thanks, I will be back :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
My on my new van, my battery master light is normally green, indicating the Starter battery is less than 0.75?A below my habitation battery charge. If your light is red, then current is being drawn from your habitation batteries to recharge your engine batteries..
Are your engine batteries okay? I don't think I've seen my BM go red even when the solar panels is putting out lots in bright sun tbh, but my batteries are new.
I'll check mine again tonight when I get home (in daylight)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
My on my new van, my battery master light is normally green, indicating the Starter battery is less than 0.75?A below my habitation battery charge. If your light is red, then current is being drawn from your habitation batteries to recharge your engine batteries..
Are your engine batteries okay? I don't think I've seen my BM go red even when the solar panels is putting out lots in bright sun tbh, but my batteries are new.
I'll check mine again tonight when I get home (in daylight)

Yes, that's what I want it to do.
Solar tops up leisure and if leisure then reaches a level higher than engine, the overflow go to engine, so the solar is topping up both. Perfect.

I'll come back in an hour or so and give the actual leisure reading - see earlier post.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years

OK - solar has been covered for 2 hours and I'm now showing 12.7 so I think I should be happy with that?

My original purpose for fitting solar was to try and extend the charge life of my leisure so as to extend the running hours of my compressor fridge so as to increase the number of possible wilding nights - if you follow that!
Maintaining the levels of all the batteries while it's parked on the drive when I'm away in the winter sun, is an unexpected bonus. :)

........ and my Battery Master is back to green where it normally is unless leisure is on charge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
12.7 volts is good with the panel covered and confirms the batteries are fully charged assuming they are not Gel's, if the batteries were anything less than fully charged the battery volt meter would not be showing 14.3 volts as the undercharged batteries would be sucking the power away from a 80 watt panel.

Martin

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
GW, You may find the following a useful reference for lead acid batteries:

Voltmeter reading Approx state of charge