keeping scanned documents safe (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hi All
As you have advised me in the past to scan important documents like the V5 and insurance documents when going abroad, as well as the passports and anything I think is relevant,well I have scanned them all but want to know of a safe place to keep them?
Cannot just keep them on the computer because if the van got stolen well the PC would be gone as well!!!
so I want to know if there is a good safe online storage place to keep them so that I could get them online should the worse happen.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Put them on several CDs and ask friends/relatives to keep a CD for you. It's more secure than any form of cloud storage which might be scrapped at any time without notice - or used to build up a profile of you if you inadvertently don't restrict privacy settings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
so I want to know if there is a good safe online storage place to keep them so that I could get them online should the worse happen.

Not online but...

Mobile phone.

A micro SD is cheap and so small you could tape one or two in safe places, like a passport case or handbag. If you ZIP the files and use a password they are safe from casual viewers.

I use eWallet on my PC/Phone to encrypt CC etc data.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Google docs.
On line is more secure and you can get it anywhere, and you can authorise friends/family to access important information if the worst happens to you.
Keeping on unsecured SD/USB memory isn't great as there is no real security.

edit: Just read the above post, the methods mentioned would offer adequate security.

edit again: We also use iDrive (free) which automatically backs up my documents from laptop encrypted to web which I can access from any device anywhere. So this covers it for me :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Google Docs is good, I also have files on an aLink Removed on my keyring. :thumb:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I emailed copies to myself and to a few close friends. Also saved onto a USB stick which is hidden away

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Dropbox is a great place to keep files online.

You can make files / folders private, private group or public and you get a decent amount of storage free. You can store any type of file and there are client applications for PC, MAC, iPhone, Android etc or you can just use a Web browser.

You can also set it up to replicate files from a local disk so making it a backup facility as well.

Use http://db.tt/DPeoWyU as the referrer link to sign up and you get some extra space too, Otherwise just go to www.dropbox.com

As mentioned Google Docs is also one that I use as well.

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
Hi All
As you have advised me in the past to scan important documents like the V5 and insurance documents when going abroad, as well as the passports and anything I think is relevant,well I have scanned them all but want to know of a safe place to keep them?
Cannot just keep them on the computer because if the van got stolen well the PC would be gone as well!!!
Hola guys
Went to talk recently in the village (Sax Alicante) given by Guardia civil traffic section. I asked a question re scanned copies in the car and motorhome and the reply was they wouldn't be accepted cos he wouldn't know if they were real. Now carry original docs but keep the copies at home. Think this is what you all said but thought this comment might help when in Spain.:Cool:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
We keep the originals locked in the safe in the MH when travelling, so they are with us.

Copies are used for when we are out and about. If pulled over then they would get shown the copies and only if they refused to accept them would I dig out the originals.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back