Keeping pets safe at Christmas

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by roadtraveller, Dec 21, 2008.

  1. roadtraveller

    roadtraveller Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    Messages:
    203
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kings Norton, Birmingham
    Top Tips·

    Make sure all your leftover chicken or turkey is put away, somewhere safe, where your dog or cat cannot reach. Your pet can easily choke on cooked chicken and turkey bones.

    · Do not feed your pet grapes or raisins as these can cause poisoning. Just a handful of grapes have been shown to cause kidney failure. The toxins may be due to a type of mould found on the skin of grapes and raisins.

    · Be careful that children’s toys are not left lying around, especially if they have small parts that your pet, including kittens and puppies, could tear or chew off and choke on.

    · Children, playing with young animals, should always be supervised as one or the other could become over excited and end up being hurt.

    · Plastic bags, balloons, tinsel, string, Christmas tree decorations, or any sharp objects can be dangerous if your dog swallows them.

    · Keep houseplants out of your pet’s reach, as many of them are toxic. They include the ones we tend to have around at Christmas time, such as: Poinsettias, mistletoe, spider plants and ferns.

    · Death by chocolate. Be careful of those vast quantities of chocolate lying around at Christmas time. Human chocolate should not be fed to dogs, as it contains a substance called theobromine. This can cause poisoning and even be lethal if consumed by your dog. Plain dark chocolate is more dangerous, as it has more theobromine than milk chocolate. There have been cases of dogs dying after eating a box of dark chocolates. Drinking chocolate can also have the same effect. So far this year, 135 cases of chocolate poisoning have been reported to the Veterinary Poisons Information Service.Symptoms of chocolate poisoning are: excessive drinking, vomiting, diarrhoea, collapse,and heart failure. If you suspect your dog is suffering from chocolate poisoning, you must call your vet immediately.

    · Why not give your dog some raw or cooked vegetables instead of chocolate, as a healthy alternative. A great way to boost your dog’s immune system.
     
Loading...

Share This Page