Keeping Frozen On Long Ferry Trip

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chopper602, Jul 19, 2015.

1. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

We're off on out travels next week and I've already bagged up and frozen, some fresh meat (sausages, bacon, chicken etc) from the wholesalers. I want to put this in the freezer compartment in the motorhome fridge after it's up / down to temperature. We're then off on North Sea Ferries to Rotterdam, so the fridge will be turned off for 12 hours.
    Any top tips or hints how best to ensure my frozen goods stay frozen . . . ?
    I've already got a few freezer blocks to use in strategic places and may well stick a frozen chilli-con-carne or a curry in the regular bit of the fridge.

2. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Keep the freezer and fridge door shut. You should be OK !

3. f6c

f6c Funster

Freeze down bottles of water(y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

A lot of ferries have EHU`s..

But as P&M say`s keep the door closed and for the last couple of hour`s of travelling wack the temp down to it`s highest..

Will be fine.. (y)

5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I would freeze your first meal when your off the ferry, it will be nicely chilled when you need it or still frozen so open a tin of beans

6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

You could also wrap everything in bubblewrap. We do the bottles of frozen water and freezer blocks and make sure all spaces are full of something apart from air. I've even used cool bags and packed frozen stuff in there and put that in the fridge / freezer. Temp down to the very lowest it will go, door shut and you should be fine.....

Oh, lettuce doesn't survive freezing very well and neither does cucumber :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Put it all in deep freeze at home before you go. Won't defrost in a short journey :)

8. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

I leave dried and canned food permanently on the van and take enough fresh and perishables for a couple of days preferring to buy locally ............if I can't get to the shops I use my pasta, rice, corned beef, beans etc.....

Just an alternative to frozen...........

(y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

It's not the first few days I'm bothered about, we're heading for Berlin, then onto a wild camp site in Poland, which is probably when we will use the frozen stuff.

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

We kept stuff cold in the 'fridge for nearly 24 hours on the Plymouth/Santander ferry without any EHU. Before we left we put a couple of small freezer packs in the freezer compartment and a frozen lasagne for our first night in the main part of the 'fridge. When we came to cook the lasagne it was still slightly frozen in the middle.

11. Cobweb

Cobweb

We usually freeze some big water bottles to give the fridge a good start but have only had the fridge freezer turned off for 5 hours and everything was still frozen solid . We have thought about taking the ferry to Rotterdam from Hull but the thought of turning the fridge freezer off for such a long time off has put us off . It would be good to know if the ferry has EHU. I know I am a bit sad since I have the freezer and fridge stuffed with M&S meals and sausages and bacon . I do not want to worry about preparing meals for the first 10 days .

12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

another good trick from the old days of coolboxes is to freeze any milk and put it in the fridge just before you set off. then dont open the door again till the power is back on

• Like Like x 1
  13. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

I also freeze cheese and butter prior to packing it in the fridge, cheddar type, not tried brie or camembert. John really dislikes the milk abroad so will be freezing some to take in september. Make sure the fridge is packed solid, have not really got over the smell from an almost empty fridge when we came back via Santander.
    An almost empty fridge holds a lot of wine boxes ;-)

14. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

When you check in, just tell them you need electric hook up. You may need french 2 pin, I'm not sure.