Keeping Frozen On Long Ferry Trip (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
We're off on out travels next week and I've already bagged up and frozen, some fresh meat (sausages, bacon, chicken etc) from the wholesalers. I want to put this in the freezer compartment in the motorhome fridge after it's up / down to temperature. We're then off on North Sea Ferries to Rotterdam, so the fridge will be turned off for 12 hours.
Any top tips or hints how best to ensure my frozen goods stay frozen . . . ?
I've already got a few freezer blocks to use in strategic places and may well stick a frozen chilli-con-carne or a curry in the regular bit of the fridge.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A lot of ferries have EHU`s..

But as P&M say`s keep the door closed and for the last couple of hour`s of travelling wack the temp down to it`s highest..

Will be fine.. (y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I would freeze your first meal when your off the ferry, it will be nicely chilled when you need it or still frozen so open a tin of beans

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You could also wrap everything in bubblewrap. We do the bottles of frozen water and freezer blocks and make sure all spaces are full of something apart from air. I've even used cool bags and packed frozen stuff in there and put that in the fridge / freezer. Temp down to the very lowest it will go, door shut and you should be fine.....

Oh, lettuce doesn't survive freezing very well and neither does cucumber :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Put it all in deep freeze at home before you go. Won't defrost in a short journey :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I leave dried and canned food permanently on the van and take enough fresh and perishables for a couple of days preferring to buy locally ............if I can't get to the shops I use my pasta, rice, corned beef, beans etc.....

Just an alternative to frozen...........

(y)

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
It's not the first few days I'm bothered about, we're heading for Berlin, then onto a wild camp site in Poland, which is probably when we will use the frozen stuff.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We kept stuff cold in the 'fridge for nearly 24 hours on the Plymouth/Santander ferry without any EHU. Before we left we put a couple of small freezer packs in the freezer compartment and a frozen lasagne for our first night in the main part of the 'fridge. When we came to cook the lasagne it was still slightly frozen in the middle.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We usually freeze some big water bottles to give the fridge a good start but have only had the fridge freezer turned off for 5 hours and everything was still frozen solid . We have thought about taking the ferry to Rotterdam from Hull but the thought of turning the fridge freezer off for such a long time off has put us off . It would be good to know if the ferry has EHU. I know I am a bit sad since I have the freezer and fridge stuffed with M&S meals and sausages and bacon . I do not want to worry about preparing meals for the first 10 days .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another good trick from the old days of coolboxes is to freeze any milk and put it in the fridge just before you set off. then dont open the door again till the power is back on

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I also freeze cheese and butter prior to packing it in the fridge, cheddar type, not tried brie or camembert. John really dislikes the milk abroad so will be freezing some to take in september. Make sure the fridge is packed solid, have not really got over the smell from an almost empty fridge when we came back via Santander.
An almost empty fridge holds a lot of wine boxes ;-)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
When you check in, just tell them you need electric hook up. You may need french 2 pin, I'm not sure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back