Keeing van to use as a rental (1 Viewer)

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I have come up with the (hairbrained some might say!) idea of possibly keeping our current motorhome (if we don't get the right price selling) and renting it out.
I have done a little research and there are rentals which are older models (ours is a 1999), so I would guess there is a market.
Has anyone ever rented theirs out?
Benefits and pitfalls?
It wouldn't be 'our' van any more and would be kept purely as a rental, using the income from this to pay towards our new one rather than the cash from selling it.
Are there agencies that hel out with everything?

Basically.....good idea or am I being silly again:Blush:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am guessing here... I don't know anything... but I reckon what you get out of the project will reflect what you are willing to put into.

If you arrange all the advertising, meeting and greeting, cleaning, servicing and are good at handling the stress when one client is back late while the next one is ready to go then I am sure it could work out... but if another business does all this I can't see there being much in it but remember I know nothing!

I guess there must be a host of regs covering insurance, taxes etc etc...

JJ

PS... IMHO people never treat "rentals" with much respect...

I have my fingers crossed that someone is just around the corner and about to give you top dollar for the van and you can avoid all this thinking! :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Lyndon, one of our members rents out his motorhomes, (he has two) He earns good money, but I know that once or twice he has had to keep deposits because they came back trashed or with bits broken.

There are quite a few agencies, just do a Link Removed but there are some rogues among them, due diligence is a must.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Frankguard

Free Member
Apr 29, 2010
For the time being Aberde
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
When I first decided to give motorhoming a go, I looked around to hire one and was contacted by Motorholme.co.uk and they offer to do everything in setting you up. I didn't take them up on their offer but still have the emails. Have a look at this
www.motorhomesecrets.co.uk

The guy to contact is Steve Moss.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We met Gill & Arran (Outdoorgirl) at Pitlochry in May. They have a van which thet rent out in the summer months. I think they use an agency so try to contact her she may be able to give you more info. They didn't seem to have any problems doing this.
*** Hello Gill & Aaron****

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
The one thought that comes to mind about this is insurance and breakdown insurance. I'm having a lot of fun trying to get European cover for my van because of its age. I think I will be sorted with CC&C now. However, you will be doing this as a business so it won't be cheap.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Keeping van to use as a rental

Hi

Last year we helped a friend who purchased a new van for the express purpose of renting it out. He registered with 3 different agencies and we looked after the practical end - storing, cleaning and sending the van out and checking it back in. We also had to liaise with the agencies.

We have now bought a motorhome for our own personal use, but we learned a lot from the experience of looking after the lettings.

The largest agent was based in Cambridgeshire, but we didn't rate them. The best, from our perspective, was Southwest Motorhomes - http://southwestmotorhomes.co.uk/ - based in Illminster, Somerset. I think it is a family business run by Sarah and Ron Foord. We found them generally professional and very responsive - which is what you need as an owner. The one based in Cambridgeshire was usually difficult to work with and uncommunicative when assistance with insurance documentation etc was required.

We were surprised just how many lettings there were in the first year, although it was a brand new van. Southwest Motorhomes came up with the most bookings too. And we met plenty of nice folk. The most difficult part for us was checking the van back in to see if there had been any damage and then pointing it out to the customer. It's surprising how many things there are to look out for. Fortunately, we didn't have anything too major, but there was usually a nick here or a scratch there - particularly when rented out to families. However, it is a business opportunity we might consider for ourselves in future - but only with a vehicle we weren't too personally attached to.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
A lot of hard work and insurance if you can get it, expensive.

We have six hire vans, all have to be handed over like a new purchased van, cleaned, valetted after every hire, damage and faults rectified etc etc.
Anything over three years old is difficult to get 'recovery insurance'

In comparison to whats available elsewhere including privates, you van is a bit long in the teeth for hire at good rates, 11 years old and leggy, might be a nice van but it wont command high rentals.

Just my thoughts

Peter

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
renting

would never rent ours in a million years what about bad drivers clutches gearboxes parking fines etc etc then insurance would be pretty high for renting out loads of stress

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back