KAZIMONDO

Free Member
Apr 15, 2014
MANCHESTER
Funster No
MH
CREWE BUS CONVERSION
Exp
Hi I am a newbie just bought a Crewe bus conversion, unfortunately it leaks bad:cry: so i thought you guys could help what is the best way to make it water tight, what materials or is there a company near Manchester who specialize in repairs, but not too expensive, the van cost allot, so very little left, Cheers
:Smile:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A picture or more details about where the leak is, what vehicle you have, how old it is, what damage if any the leak is causing, whether the leak is from the windows, roof, doors, plastic trim etc . Without this information it would be very difficult to offer help. I had a leak once.... nearly got arrested for it:Blush:

Alan

OP
OP
K

KAZIMONDO

Free Member
Apr 15, 2014
MANCHESTER
Funster No
MH
CREWE BUS CONVERSION
Exp
Hello

The vehicle is a 1992 Ford Transit 150 with a Swift Conversion, the damge seems to have been caused by someone prior to us purchasing it fitting 2 sun roofs incorrectly and the water damage as run down through the wood and made it rotten, all the way through, all wood as been damaged:Sad:, i wanted to know if it was possible to use fiberglass to seal all around the edges to make it water tight

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• MOTORHOME.jpg
    MOTORHOME.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
K

KAZIMONDO

Free Member
Apr 15, 2014
MANCHESTER
Funster No
MH
CREWE BUS CONVERSION
Exp
Hi Alan

I am attaching a video of the damage and the poor state its in, if you can suggest anything to help that would be great and much appreciated :Smile:

Sorry it doesn't look like the video loaded, i will get photo's when i return home from work and post them.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I regret to say, if the roof timbers are rotten then the cost of repairs will exceed the value of the van unless you do the job yourself and it will entail removing the roof then replacing all rotted timber before refitting a new roof. I suggest taking it back to the seller and getting a refund, failing that use it as a donor vehicle for a selfbuild. Rot will not go away, it will spread especially if you try to seal it in.:Sad:
Fibre glass will only separate from an ali roof it need doing properly.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
fibreglass wont seal the leak, as the joint between the different materials will expand and contract at different amounts. you need to take the skylights out and reseal them with non setting mastic, which can move with the vehicle.

as for rotten wood in the roof, it can be done but its a big job. take down the ceiling boards then remove each rotten piece of wood and renew, 1 at a time. then leave it open for all the insulation to dry. when dry fit new ceiling boards. wont be easy to do but assuming you can do it yourself, should only cost a few hundred. paying for it to be done would be more than the van is worth

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back