Kayaks good or bad??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ROB1CHELSEA1, Jan 29, 2013.

1. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Been thinking about getting a couple of these for a while now, not for the frontroom like the guy in the video:Rofl1: but when we were in Scotland we saw a few Kayaks on the water and it looked great fun.
    Is the inflatable Kayak a good idea:BigGrin: or not:Doh: Some of you Funsters must have tried it or even still do. Your thoughts please:thumb:

Rob&Jane

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

• Like Like x 1
  3. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

4. Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105 Funster Life Member

hi ive got a 2 man inflatable had some great fun but the wife wont go in it till i lose a lot of weight as it flipped the last time and she wasnt impressed.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We are on our second inflatable.

We have a Gumotex Palava currently, a 'Canadian' design, it has sufficient payload for us and the dogs (250kg).

Our previous was a Sevylor Canyon. It was a tandem Kayak and was a good starter boat with a payload of 165kg. It did suffer from a bit of leakage in the seams and a wet bum would result after an hour or so. Good for keeping cool in the hot sun though!

Do read all the online reviews before you do buy though, it will save a costly upgrade later on when you get the bug!

Oh, BTW, if you don't mind a damp bum after an hour's paddling, we have the Sevylor still!
    £50 with collapsible double paddles if you want it!!:thumb:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QTxdWr36Tk"]Sevylor Canyon on the Little Ouse - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 2dogs

2dogs Funster

I wouldn't go anywhere near an inflatable
    and
    you won't see me on my kayak without a PFD

Hope your happy with what you get

Cheers

7. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

They were consenting adults in 3 feet of water!

LOL we normally have ours on for the stuff where its needed! 'Elf and safety and all that!:Wink:

8. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Kayak - one of the few words that can be spelt backwards and still be correct.

OK I'll get my splash guard .......

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi Having used both rigid and inflatable kayaks the main difference I noticed was the inflatable one was taken by the wind more than the rigid. Obviously not a problem on a still day or on protected water. Both can be good fun.

Mike

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I thought Wildman was our resident expert - obviously gone to sleep, give him a PM nudge.

11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

The rigid ones are pretty heavy.

My brother has a two man jobby which is great but its a two man job getting it to the shore unless you have a trolley of some sort.

12. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

One thing I do know - You an't have your kayak and heat it.
    Boom boom
    Wyn

13. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

That's not a Kayak, that's a Canoe. :Tongue1: They are only good for a paddle in a calm stream, like that in the video. First bit of white water and you would be lost. Also, as mentioned, no PFD, naughty, and no helmet also naughty.

No.2 son, 18 years old and a Scout Kayak instructor, spits feathers when he sees people in these things.

14. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Having no PFD or helmet was the least of that bloke's problems in the film 'Deliverance'!:Laughing:

Isn't the definition of a canoe or kayak whether you sit or knee/sit upright? What about a sit-on-top? Is that not a kayak because it hasn't a splash deck?

Look, the river on the vid is 3 feet deep, there are no submerged rocks and it has a slow current. People even swim in it with their toddlers! What's the problem? Did you make your son wear goggles when playing conkers?
    We wear our PFDs (floatation aids) when in large expanses or deep water and helmets on choppy stuff, but the river in the vid isn't exactly extreme! There is no risk of rolling or being out of your depth. Why encumber yourself with unnecessary safety gear on a hot summer day?

I beg to differ on the whitewater comment.

A lot of inflatable canoes, including ours, are OK for grade 3 whitewater.
    An inflatable will never sink!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXgqMr3QwkI&playnext=1&list=PL132698CC2CAB5D09&feature=results_main"]Test du canoe gonflable BARAKA Gumotex - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  15. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

My brother's family has a couple of those inflatables and he keeps them on his boat.
    They use them for exploring estuaries, riding the surf in to the beach and for fishing: they regularly come back with a couple of decent sea bass for the barbeque :thumb:

As for lifejackets and flares, when we were kids we used to make rafts from old oil drums and planks tied together with baler twine.

Our kids will be doing the same when the weather's a bit warmer. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  16. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

We have a 2 man inflatable canoe. It is fine for a little paddle about in calm water on a wind less day. Generally I find them harder to paddle and harder to steer but at least you can get them in the boot! We have also had 2 punctures (which is 2 too many!)

We don't bother to use ours anymore, does that say something? :Wink:

17. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Among the surfing community kayaks are known as 'Goatboats' :Wink:

I personally think the best type of kayak is a surfboard but I'm biased, having been dropped in on and nearly run down in the surf by too many flailing goatboaters in my time.

If it ever gets to the point where I'm unable to stand up on my own two feet I might consider getting one of those sit-on solid wave ski thingies, but only as a compromise to old age and infirmity.

I actually owned a kayak many moons ago but found it all a lot less interesting than I thought it would be.

Learn to surf and/or windsurf while you still can, and only consider sitting down on the water when you have to. :Smile:

19. Chybax

Chybax Read Only Funster

We have a Ocean Malibu 2 XL Kayaka ,tandem sit on
    http://www.cornwall-canoes.co.uk/ocean-kayak-malibu-2.htm

Never tried an inflatable so cant comment on them. Dont know how good they are in windy weather!

Would recommend a Yak Buoyancy Aid, gloves are a must as hands can get very cold and a wet suit or wet suit shorts ( wet cold bum) :Wink:

20. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Just to keep things on-topic, despite the fact we like a good rigid canoe, we dismissed it due to the problems involved in carrying one on a coachbuilt.

The cost of roofbars and a rack, along with the problem of hoisting a 16 footer up on the roof was not worth the hassle. Also roof-flexing caused by that canoe or kayak in the slipstream could cause failed joints and water ingress (in the van, not canoe/kayak!).

The inflatable, although not the most wind-resistant, sleek craft, lives in a water proof backpack. We take a bus several miles upstream and then paddle back down.

Once back at the van, dry it down with a towel, pack it up and stow it in the garage until next time.

-Easy!:thumb:

• Like Like x 2