Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hello

Does anyone know how to get the diamond shape, self seeking Kathrein satellite to lock on and search. I have no manual/instructions at all.

The motorhome with the dish attached is 5 years old so I am guessing the dish is the same age.

I have a remote control marked "Kathrein" and in the TV cupboard is what looks like a SKY box but also marked Kathrein. It has a power on button and two arrow buttons - one pointing up and the other poitning down.

I have no idea at all how to use this thing.

I do have a SKY box to connect at some point.

R

OP
OP
Rapide561

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Kathrein

Hi Doug

Many thanks for that. I have looked at the Kathrein website but could not make much sense of anything, and it was all in German.

Thanks again, the model pic looks to be the one.

Russell

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Hi "R" I have a Kathrien fully auto system on my MH. I have no problem getting German TV. I have been trying unsuccessfully to get British TV with a FreeSat box.
First Question. Have you got a German receiver. If yes, then you should have a remote sensor (looks like a lareg button) with a wire going to your power source in the receiver and the other wire going to your TV. Your Scart goes from Receiver to TV. Your ariel goes to your Receiver. That is all you need. Then: 1) make sure your MH is on level ground. 2) Turn on Receiver. Red light show show. 3) Press Remote control on/off button once. That should activate your Receiver, where the red light turns to green, and it should also automatically activate your dish. Point the Remote control to the Remote sensor, if it does not work, then point it to your receiver. 4) Watch your TV screen. A coding will come up and then the search box. Press OK. This should search for Astra. Important: Kathrien system is very sensitive. Keep very still when trying to pick up a signal. Movement in the MH will make it difficult. Once you get your signal, movement is then unimportant. To return the disch to a rest position, double press the on/off button on your Remote control. If you haven't got a German Receiver, then of course, you will be unable to follow this procedure. Hope this helps. If not, keep posting.

OP
OP
Rapide561

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Kathrein

Hi

Thanks - that's a really helpul post. I have managed to get the dish to stand up and search, but the search proves fruitless and it says it cannot find ASTRA2.

I have a fairly good line of sight to the satellite.

I am moving the van tomorrow so will try on a different pitch. Saying that, the Oyster always locked on from this same pitch.

Any other thoughts?

Russell

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Russell,

See you got some intelligent answers on FUN, the place for the facts:thumb:

:roflmto:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi

Thanks - that's a really helpul post. I have managed to get the dish to stand up and search, but the search proves fruitless and it says it cannot find ASTRA2.

I have a fairly good line of sight to the satellite.

I am moving the van tomorrow so will try on a different pitch. Saying that, the Oyster always locked on from this same pitch.

Any other thoughts?

Russell

:Cool: Hi Russell. I have an Analogue Kathrien system with a Universal LNB When I installed it on our old Coachmen I used to let it find ASTRA 1 and then step it on and off (using the search buttin) to get to ASTRA 2. I no longer use it because there is Cable TV on Camping Almafra. :winky:

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Russell, Press the i button on the katherine handset which will bring up every single station thats available on the katherine decoder. To get the dish to line up perfectly to accept the sky signal click on your local BBC 1 channel on ASTRA 28 which is around the 900s, ours I think is 917 and make it a favourite so that it will always go to that. Once youve locked onto that turn on your sky box and turn off the katherine decoder totally. You should then be able to tune in sky no trouble., My friendly local tv guy has made things a lot easier for me, he has wired a switching box into the system for me its called an
A/V source selector 4in-2out model L62 AB. Ihave the option on that box to switch by button press between sky decoder - Kat decoder - or a dvd or video source. If you still have problems after everybodys help the one guy I know who really knows these katherine decoders inside out is Mark at Road Pro. Half an hour of his time if your able to grab it would solve all your problems, hes a wizz and he will upgrade all the latest settings and new channels for you while your there. Strongly advise as a first step getting your local friendly tv guy to make sure all your cables are in the right place etc to start with. The katherine is a brilliant system and coupled with the sky box will give you the choice of thousands of channels as you move around the whole of Europe. Theres always something in English to watch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rapide561

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Kathrein

Hi

Ok, here is the update.

I can get the dish to raise and lower and search, but it will not lock on to ASTRA2. The dish is in search mode for a few minutes and then times out. There is a clear line of sight to the satellite.

However, I have not connected a SKY box yet. I had guessed that (just like the Oyster) it would be possible to raise the dish and lock on to Astra2 (without connecting the SKY box) just to see that is works. Am I wrong?

Also, I don't know how to connect the Sky box etc.

This is the set up in detail.

In the wardrobe - is a Kathrein box thing. Looking at the pictures of it in the instruction manual that I have now obtained, this box is called the "connection/control unit".

In the TV cupboard is another Kathrein box, this one has a power on button and two arrow keys to change TV channels. There was already a scart lead hanging from this box which I connected to the TV. I can get the Kathrein menu on the TV screen, so I know that the two are talking as it were.

Also in the TV cupboard a white wire goes into the Kathrein box, and there is another white wire which, from the type, looks like it goes to the SKY box.

Any thoughts or help would be very much appreciated.

Russell

OP
OP
Rapide561

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Kathrein

Hi

Sorry forgot to say....

This is a Mobiset2 CAP200 Digital model if that means anything.

Russell

Basic problem I think is I can't get the thing to lock on.

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Russell. I honestly think a quick call to Mark at Road Pro would save you a lot of trouble. He honestly is a wizz with the katherine systems. The decoder could need updating, he will talk you through that. I had a problem once in that I couldnt get any of the ITV programmes once I went on sky. He knew straight away that I needed to fit a thin skew plate under the dish to correct this. They sent me the bits for a few quid and I fitted it myself in a few minutes.
Just a thought, is it finding any satellites, not necessarily the Astra 28? I reckon it sounds like the positioner unit not the digi box that is at fault. Cant really suggest any more. Bought ours about seven years ago, the only model mark i can see on ours is DV3.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back