Kangaroo Petrol

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by BobProperty, Aug 22, 2010.

1. BobProperty

BobProperty Read Only Funster

I'm currently in the southern part of France on a trip with the motorhome. It behaved itself fine getting around and getting to Knutsford but coming down here it goes into "kangaroo petrol" mode where the engine hesitates and misses and bangs about. If I stop for a few minutes or few hours it goes away for a few hours. My interpretation and investigations are as follows:
    1. There's rust in the fuel. I have bought a new fuel filter but it hasn't stopped it from happening.
    2. I suspect that no one has filled up the van for several months. My trip here will be the first time for ages anyone has filled the tank to the brim.
    3. Because of 2, condensation has occurred within the fuel tank and I've probably got rust/crap/water in there which I don't want.

Possible solutions:
    Fuel pump could be on its way out. Van is 19 yo and has done 62k. Having a load of crud in it won't help its performance.
    Empty fuel tank out as best I can and clean it out
    Go for an electric pump to bypass the mechanical pump. This is an old performance car trick to save bhp on the mechanical pump.
    Remove and clean fuel pump - if possible.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Crumbs Bob... That's the last thing you wanna be doing on your holiday isn't it!!! Are the girls with you?

I know it is probably a daft thing to say but you sure you put deisel in? It's the sort of mistake I would make especially if the pump in a foreign language:Sad:

Hope you get it sorted even if it means emptying tank out and starting again... an unwanted expense but compared to missing out on your holiday time prob a solution?

3. BobProperty

Yes and don't ask about the puncture and the jack.
    Have I put diesel in? :Eek!: I hope not, it's a petrol engine :BigGrin:. And my French isn't great but I know my gazole from my essence.
    OT the petrol is way above the diesel price at present. Diesel you might find for around €1.10 Petrol you can easily pay €1.50 for.

4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

:Rofl1::Rofl1: At least you have managed to keep a sense of humour about it all.:BigGrin:

Hope you get sorted.:thumb:

5. acting_strange

acting_strange

Hi Bob

If you could find a friendly french garage you could try "back blowing" the fuel line with an airline as it could be a dirty pick up pipe in the tank. Take off the fuel line before the filter, remove the petrol cap and jet air down the fuel line from an air hose. It has to be done carefully so as not to throw fuel out of the tank via the cap etc.

Has the fuel filter been fitted the right way round?

6. BobProperty

The fuel filter that is on now is the right way round. I know because I fitted it :Wink:
    I'm beginning to suspect that this filter is an afterthought by someone. I've just found that the hose has a small split in it so I will need some new hose. But, I question the position of the filter. It's between the pump and the carb and return pipe. Why isn't it before the pump? Unless there's some volume delivery thing going on. :Confused:

7. acting_strange

acting_strange

the filter should always be between the pump and the carb.

Can you see any rust etc in the filter (or i it one of those metal ones?)

You could also have some cr*p in the float bowl of the carb...so depending on how confident etc you are??

8. BobProperty

Fair enough but that sounds a recipe for knackering pumps.
    How much do you want? It's was pretty bad. New one looks to have picked up some too.
    Not sure if it has a float chamber but yes, if it has it would be worth cleaning it out. Hey I've got nothing else to do.

9. acting_strange

acting_strange

Sorry Bob have I been stupid and shown my age.....is your engine injected??

That's a whole different ball game.

10. acting_strange

acting_strange

Another sudden thought (it has been a while since I was doing this for a living) is your tank breathing properly?

If you have a blocked breather it would give those symptoms?

It used to be a classic in the bygone days and I would always have a pin or paperclip in the breakdown vehicle just to poke the hole out with.

11. BobProperty

No it's carburated. None of this modern technology. :Wink: Yes the vent is a possibility too, any idea where they are? Is there a separate tube or a hole in the filler cap or what? By the way, 2 litre peugeot engined Talbot Express from 1991.

12. acting_strange

acting_strange

Sorry i dont know where the breather is.....but it is a simple enough test to rule it out.....when the motor stalls/cuts out....take the filler cap off and try re starting....if its a blocked breather it will start almost immediately..as soon as the fuel gets through.

13. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Had a simular thing happen to old car I once had, I would be driving along and it would start to cough and splutter and lose power, I would stop lift the bonnet have a look, nothing, get back in start it and it would be perfect again, this went on for weeks until I eventualy discovered it had a none standard air filter and as I was going along the carb was icing up and as soon as I stopped to look it would melt etc, etc:Doh:. As soon as I put a standard filter on (remember the ones that could be turned so the inlet was right next to the exhaust manifold in the winter) the problem went away.
    Mind you it is summer so this should not be the case:Smile:

14. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

If it does turn out to be breather you could always drill small hole in cap, had to do this once when we could not get correct cap and made do with one without breather hole.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

15. acting_strange

acting_strange

A "blocked" air filter would also give this problem...but it would have ti be bad...cause the engine to choke up..again easy to check just take it out and see. You do have to be careful of carb backfires though....It's not nice trying to put out a carb fire.....been there done that..

16. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

My money's on a blocked fuel tank breather, a known issue with Talbot Express type vans.

D.

17. BobProperty

Er yeah, 35 degrees C at 7:00 in the evening the night before last. I think I can safely discount carb icing.

18. BobProperty

Aha! Thanks Dave; by the way, how's the hair?
    Air filter was recently renewed and all breather pipes and filters cleaned so I doubt it's that.
    Fuel looks to have a vent pipe off the top of the filler pipe. Will have a play with that later.

19. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Just a thought but have you checked for another in line fuel filter between tank and pump.

20. BobProperty

Right, best description I can give of the vent system is as follows:
    Main filler pipe. Starts out metal then rubber then don't know. Is about 50mm+ in diameter.
    Vent. Plastic tube about 30mm diameter, runs from behind filler to tank.
    Overflow vent or breather. Plastic tube about 12mm diameter. Runs from behind filler to near tank where it ends in what looks like some sort of one way valve or filter. Vents to air except for this filter/valve thing. This item is circular, about 25-30mm across, plastic, white one side marked SERBATOIO the other side is dark grey marked FISPA.
    First - is this some sort of one way vent valve?
    Second - how can I tell if it is working?
    Third - is it needed?
    Fourth - is it supposed to vent to air and not be connected to anything?