Kampa Prestige Motor Home Cover (1 Viewer)

Flyer

Free Member
May 11, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
07 Ducato CI Carioca 656
Exp
2 years
Hi all,
I purchased a Kampa Prestige Motorhome cover at the Motorhome show at the NEC in Oct 2016. I put the cover on a Fiat Ducato CI Carioca 656 on 18th Dec 2016, the van was dry the, day was dry, nothing unusual. I took the cover off recently only to find the van covered with black marks that wont come off! Please see the pics. Both the supplier PJ Outdoors in St Albans and Kampa are accepting no liability or have the answer to clean the van. Its ruined what was a good clean van.
If anyone has the answer to how to clean it off I'd be grateful for the help.
Otherwise I urge you all to avoid this product, mine will go in the bin!
20170413_105852.jpg
20170413_105817.jpg
20170413_105841.jpg

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I would never put a cover on the van .. and I'm sure there have been posts on here before about them.
I know it's a bit late to say that now but it's always worth asking on here.
I would imagine that is the stuff that causes black streaks normaly.
I assume you've tried a wash ..
Read this post
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/charlies-guide-to-black-streaks.124501/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I feel for you and can imagine how gutted you are.

Good news is, that it is just marks on the van, so they will come off. If it we're gouges or scratches then you'd be pooped, but they're just marks.

Good luck

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Mmmm. Bloody covers..

Firstly don't panic !! Whatever the stains or marks are they will be able to be removed. The problem here for me is I would have to see the van close up and try a few products and techniques. Apologies but to guess from a distance could make the problem worse in so much as more damage could be inflicted if innapropriate polishes are used on the panels of the van.

OP
OP
Flyer

Flyer

Free Member
May 11, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
07 Ducato CI Carioca 656
Exp
2 years
Thank you for the replies.
The van has been in the garage for some work on the brakes and fuel system and they've washed it. Most of the dark marking has gone but a lot of lighter marks remain.
I'm now going to look into getting it professionally cleaned and polished....
..and its not going under a cover again.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Not trying to out smart @Charlie here but I have seen this lots of times. The marks are where the van was dirty when the cover was put on (you may not see the dirt but its tgere),the cover then moves which grinds in the dirt. The only solution is to thoroughly clean the van, machine polish then apply a coat of wax not a quick fix I'm afraid . The bin is the best place for any cover in my opinion

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Thank you for the replies.
and they've washed it. Most of the dark marking has gone but a lot of lighter marks remain.
To achieve this the garage has probably used a very strong Traffic Film Remover. This means that any protection your van may have had will have been washed away by the TFR. Best to get some remediel action done soon.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Not trying to out smart @Charlie here but I have seen this lots of times. The marks are where the van was dirty when the cover was put on (you may not see the dirt but its tgere),the cover then moves which grinds in the dirt. The only solution is to thoroughly clean the van, machine polish then apply a coat of wax not a quick fix I'm afraid . The bin is the best place for any cover in my opinion

Mike it's not a case of outsmarting I know you would never take that stance it's a case of your experience with MHs and the differing surfaces is far far greater than mine..

I to drew the conclusion that the van will need a polish to remove the marks but as I'm not experienced enough with Motorhomes I can not voice a solution. That's why I personally would only offer advice if I had the opportunity to examine the van and try some products before saying which pad/ polish combination would be effective and most importantly safe ..

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@Flyer as you can see .. on here you can get an informed answer to anything.
You only get a limited amount of posts before you need to subscribe.
This site is an amazing resource on anything motorhome related along with all sorts of other subjects and you should seriously consider paying the £15 a year to join Motorhome Fun.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Sorry Charlie I put that in for the benefit of some members who like to nitpick. Last year I had a van that had similar markings but only on one side of the van and low down. This puzzled me for a while until I saw the owners children who all matched the height of the marks. The penny then dropped it was sunscreen which the kids had rubbed against the side of the van after mum had applied under the awning.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
To add my own thanks to the experts posting with their excellent advice here

Jim put me off getting a cover, you have confirmed it, that's 3 pints I owe and will gladly pay

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back