Kampa motorhome inflatable awning (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Kampa Rally Air WARNING
I first posted with Out and About on this subject requesting info on a company called CampnShop who we had ordered from but had communication problems.This is now resolved and we collected the Rally 390 L a few days ago.

The warning is due to the fact that these awnings have a fixed ground sheet incorporated into all four corners which needs to be flat on the ground for the correct awning profile to be achieved.Therefore to try to extend by up to 20cm is not possible.There are two types for sale,a two window or three window size with heights (from awning rail to floor) of 250cm extending to 270cm (L) , 270cm extending to 290cm (XL) both with 6mm beading.After our first effort to erect our (L) it turned out to measure only 240cm ! The salesman explained that Kampa are aware of measurement mistakes and would refund in full but not exchange to a XL just incase that also did not work for our van.Our dealer said he would exchange but not take it back.We were keen to own this new type of awning so decided to pay the extra and gamble that it would work for us.
Our van height is 260cm (rail to floor) so by using the low yellow ramps we can easily increase this to 270cm and after all we all use ramps often anyway.This worked very well as we will always have the groundsheet sections flat to the floor and we are very pleased with the end result.
Therefore from our experience you can always increase the vans height but not shrink it ,so if your van is under 250cm go for the L if it is under 270cm go for the XL.If it is over 270cm then as far as I can see don’t buy one.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have a Kampa rally air awning 260.
To the best of my knowledge,and checking on the Kampa website,the Air awnings are caravan awnings suitable for a height of 235-250 cms. Kampa do not,currently do an Air awning as a specific 'Motorhome' range.
So,basically,if your awning rail is within that height range it will fit ok. We are 240 cms when on ramps,so ours works fine.

Mike

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
They were only for caravans up until last years NEC show in October when they noticed many motorhomers were interested.Then at Peterborough show we saw a stand with the new motorhome versions.They seemed to be selling like hot cakes with deposits only as they were due into the country end of June.So I expect to see more of these types on sites as time goes on assuming the van owners get over the height issue raised.
I guess we were given a 240cm caravan awning by mistake on our first attempt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Isn't it more effort to pump these things up than it is to insert a few poles?

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Just checked with Kampa :thumb: You are right-and they apologised for not having updated their website ::bigsmile:
I also asked the length of the lead on their 12v inflator and was told it is 3mtrs,so,certainly for us, that means an extension lead.
Questions were raised on another thread about the risk of punctures to the Air Frame,the 'inner tubes' (if that's what we should call them) are quite well protected and are easily accessible by unzipping the outer cover from the inside and a repair kit is available.

Mike,

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Isn't it more effort to pump these things up than it is to insert a few poles?

No,it isn't ::bigsmile: It takes about 20 strokes with the manual pump.
Once the awning is attached to the rail and the corners are pegged down (Which has to be done with either type) it is about 5 mins before the awning is up and stable.
The big advantage is the weight and storage space saving of not having poles.

Mike,

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The tubes can also be isolated from each other by their valves so that repairs are possible without deflating everything.
The fact there is a 12v pump available from Kampa got me thinking if I could get someone to adapt our air suspension pump that is fitted under the van to inflate the awning also ? However I suppose the 20 pumps is another bit of healthy activity .One of the reasons we went for electric bikes instead of a car or motorbike.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
No,it isn't ::bigsmile: It takes about 20 strokes with the manual pump.
Once the awning is attached to the rail and the corners are pegged down (Which has to be done with either type) it is about 5 mins before the awning is up and stable.
The big advantage is the weight and storage space saving of not having poles.

Mike,

20 strokes on the manual pump eh?

I should imagine a few male Funsters would settle for that::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back