Kampa Awning Problem (1 Viewer)

Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
We have a problem with a Kampa awning that we recently purchased and just wondered what experience others on the forum have had with these awnings.

The awning is the Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro 330, highly recommended on here and in all but one aspect we are pleased with the awning. The problem is the Centre Beam which collapses with just a small amount of downward pressure or breezy conditions (15k of wind).

We have used it twice now and on both occasions this centre beam seems to be it achilles heel. Initially Kampa said we weren’t putting enough pressure in the beams and that we needed to pad the gap between the awning and the body of the Motorhome.

Well on our second outing we got around 10psi into the awning (recommended 8-11psi) and we padded the centre beam with rubber blocks (sold as an extra for this purpose).
There wasn’t much wind around at the time but the slightest amount of downward pressure would pull the centre beam down ever so easily (see pic).

Kampa now want us to up the pressure to around 13psi (they are tested to 22psi) and to put blocks on the end beams as well even though the end beams are rock solid and don’t suffer as the centre one.
Anyway we will try all this in the hope we get there in the end, but I’m not hopeful.

Does anybody have this particular 330 Motorhome Awning.
I know the 260 is popular, but the centre beam on these is much closer to the end beams, ie: more stable.
What experience do others have.

BeanPulled copy.jpg
Full copy.jpg
Padding copy.jpg

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Not really a helpful comment but it's perhaps why you see a lot of used ones for sale. Decided not to buy an air one and bought the Rally 260 but the one made for caravans as the height suits our Panel van. Put it up today at Peterborough, just got to change the 6mm bead for a 4mm one to avoid using the figure of eight section.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I wonder if this is a problem on this year's model.. they tinker with them every year.
We have a 2015 260 so can't help but everyone we've met with one has raved about them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have a 390 XL with a very similar issue on one of our corners

Kampa suggested rotating the inner tube, but even when I pointed out that is impossible due to the connecting pipes o_O they refused to help any further when I wouldn't (couldn't) do that

I must have been the negative poster you missed in your enthusiasm to buy one, I have made regular contributions on the subject

Have now moved on to a full Thule safari room, much against all the guidance on here :LOL::LOL:

I hope Kampa do stick with you, more pressure does make sense, but will be hard with their hand pump

Don't for heavens sake let them see that light bulb and heavy string though, it will suddenly all be your fault o_Oo_O

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
A suggestion that may, or may not, help; after you have inflated it, turn all of the internal isolating valves so that each tube is isolated. If you are suffering any leakage, this will help identify it.

Ian

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
@Bovisand
More of a worry is having to install 6 rubber pads as an extra which look like an after thought by the manufacturer, maybe some kind of design fault

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have a problem with a Kampa awning that we recently purchased and just wondered what experience others on the forum have had with these awnings.

Bought one in 2015, but after trying it out a few times, wasn't happy fixing it to the Omnistor wind-out.

Reasons:
a) Couldn't position over the habitation door
b) it was a lot of weight hanging on the awing while it was being threaded though the channel.
c) There was a gap down each end wall due to it not sitting snuggly against the van wall.
d) The air beams didn't sit tight on the van wall.

To overcome this I fitted an awing rail just under the wind out awing box.. this resolved all these issues. It now sits snugly against the van walls and is positioned over the cab door.

Have to honest, haven't used it in stormy conditions, but have never seen the air beam bend as you describe.. when windy they do flex a lot , such is the nature of the design.

Many people buy awnings, then for whatever reason decide it's not for them, be it a free standing drive-away, fixed or Safari room .. plenty for sale on eBay of all types..

In my view it is designed to be used with an awing rail rather than sliding onto the box awning.. when that is done it fits perfectly, there is no "design fault" .

I posted about fitting the rail here http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/awning-rail-fitted-for-kampa-rally-air-pro.135228/

IMG_0997.jpg

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
May be that Light Bulb is really a heavy bulb :Eeek:
does the center beam feel as hard as the two outer ones? if physically softer maybe a pressure difference caused by faulty valves a new bladder may solve the issue
or maybe once creased its becomes a weak point so again new bladder and use highest pressure from first use

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
@Bovisand
More of a worry is having to install 6 rubber pads as an extra which look like an after thought by the manufacturer, maybe some kind of design fault

Not really, it's because instead of it being attached to a rail on the side of the van, it's being attached to a wind out awning and this sits a few inches proud of the van.

Ian

OP
OP
Bovisand
Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
Thanks all for your input, I do like the light hearted comments as well (get the pun).
Must check weight and wattage of that battery operated light.

There definitely isn't a leak anywhere. We had it up for 3 days as we tried all variations to firm up this centre beam but with no drop in pressure at any time, in fact always trying to get a bit more in. In the end the flimsy pump broke, but we had the recommended pressure in by then.

Jim, I have considered fitting the rail and may still do so once the problem with this centre beam is resolved. In fact I did PM you for some advice on this a while back.

I think we will see what the outcome of our next outing will be when I will ensure the absolute max permitted pressure is put in and support blocks used on all beams to ensure solid fit against MH side.

Still a job in progress.

OP
OP
Bovisand
Jan 6, 2014
Southport
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2008
Interestingly I came across this on a Facebook group. A member who also bought a 330 2017 awning but with the addition of horizontal beams at the top there are not on mine - bought in Jan (see pic). I wonder if Kampa has recognised the fault and added some additional beams. I shall find out.

HorizBeam.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back