Kampa air awning bowing under heavy rain ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gazza333, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

Just bought one of these kampa air awnings and under very heavy rain I notice the top section between the motorhome and the first air tube seems to have an excess of material. This means it fills up with water and bows down taking the central tube with it . At present it has a water depth of about 5cm forming and when the centre pole kinks it seems to let some water off and doesn't bow down any further I hope

Anyone else had this ? Anyone know an email address for kampa so I can ask them ? I'm in austria at the moment and a little concerned in damaging my very expensive awning...

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

it seems quite common on air beam awnings from what i have seen. plus sagging/deforming in high winds

3. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

I'm really happy with the awning upto now, was just a bit shocked to be sat in it under very heavy rain and see the roof drop down 6 inches

4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You could double check the pressure in the tube, if it isn't a high as it should be it will 'sag' a bit, same for the tube. If this is really worrying you, you could see if there's somewhere you could get a clothes prop or something which you could try to make into either a temporary brace from your MH to the awning tube, or more easily, just push it up to take the excess out of the material and make a slight 'peak' so the water can't gather in the first place. Not ideal but a possible short term solution.

5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Had a look on Kampa web site, they appear not to list any contact details by phone or email

I had some good support from them for ours, this man was very helpful, but that was last year

Neil Yelland [mailto:Neil@kampa.co.uk

out of interest (nosiness) have you got the std height or XL, we have the XL and the joining strip you are referring to still has enough slope on it for no rain to have collected

good luck

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Typical male exaggeration ... 5cm is NOT 6 inches! :LOL:

• Like Like x 5
  7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Whatever you do, DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED PRESSURE especially if hot weather is expected as the air inside will expand and could split the outer tube and the inner will rupture.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  8. swanseajack13

swanseajack13 Funster

had the 2013 model sent it back this one kampa xl air beam with the awning on the mh back in not a driveaway type reorder 2014 model still had the same problem would not fit from the awning to the ground sent it back again then got the oxygen driveawahopey xl not happy with that the tubes bend at the bottom the instruction say 2 to 4 psi spoke to the rep in shepton show told to put 5.5 psi in the tubes will try it at pembrey meeting on Friday hope it fits or that will go back as well best awning vango air beam driveaway if you have a big pitch great bit of kit ray

9. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

out of interest (nosiness) have you got the std height or XL, we have the XL and the joining strip you are referring to still has enough slope on it for no rain to have collected

good luck[/QUOTE]

I have the std one as my motorhome is very low . In fact my height to awning is at the lower end of the allowed height. I'm not sure i understand the joining strip bit . I mean the area from my awning to the first horizontal air tube ie the bit forming the top roof bit it seems to sag a bit and hold water

Ha ha there is a puddle/sag with 5cm of water in it. This causes the centre pole to collapse slightly dropping the roof height to 6 inches lower :)

Ill try blowing up the poles a little more tomorrow but note John cross advice too. I believe you can't overinflated them with the supplied pump.

Gary
    Ps it's stopped raining now so all is good again

• Like Like x 1
  10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

002.JPG
    Got you now, I thought you meant the narrow strip with the beading on that attaches to your wind out

We get some water on our roof, but nothing much, I wonder if your low height is the problem, if the roof section doesn't have enough fall on it maybe

edit - also the air pressure could be to blame, there were a few scares on here a few months ago relating to over pressure, when I checked, the Kampa Air is designed for much higher pressure than we thought. Cant recall the value now, I am also sure it has a relief valve fitted

Mind you it should do for the money (y)

double edit - Been back on the Kamp web site, if using the hand pump as we do, Kampa say you can not over pressurise the awning, but suggest between 9-11 psi

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  11. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

Yes I thought it may be due to our low height too although it is within spec. It's the 3rd time it's been in rain but the first time it's done this. It was very very heavy rain though. Ill take a closer look in daylight to see if I can adjust anything to tighten that bit of fabric up somehow .

I think the worst that happens if your not here to push the water out is the roof sinks by 6 inches and a big bowl of water forms. Not ideal but ill see what I can do tomorrow in the light.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I think the worst it would do is collapse enough for the water to escape then stand back up, there is nothing to break (y)

Its no different to ours and most peoples wind outs, they have to be dewatered regularly, difference is they will break

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Not if you tilt one side down!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We have got one of the old fashioned Kampa's with poles.

Exactly the same thing happens when it rains heavily. I just push the roof gently from underneath to force the water off the roof.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Buy the extra storm kit, tightwad.........;);)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

You need a set of Monsoon Poles Chris, they reinforce the shape of the roof and prevent pooling.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/kampa-rally-monsoon-pole.html

Brisey.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tootles

Tootles Funster

They are very good Chris, and well worth it. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

Looks just what I need but for the air