Kamikaze insects

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Wikisnoodle, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Wikisnoodle

Wikisnoodle Read Only Funster

I've just spent, what felt like forever, getting all the kamikazi flies off the front of my van following a trip to Chester. As usual, most of them were on the most-difficult-to-get-at overcab bulge (Autotrail Cheyenne 635). 3 weeks from now, I'll be off to Cornwall and the whole procedure will, no doubt, have to be repeated on arrival, 3 or 4 times whilst there and again on our return.

Currently I'm up and down a ladder with a bucket of warm water/zipwax and a soft brush on a pole, scrubbing the stubborn ones off with a toothbrush. Would a jetwasher be a good investment? Has anyone found any better solutions (other than "try travelling in the winter instead!").

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Bit extreme but someone once posted they were so fed up with this problem they put cling film over the bulgey bit and then just had to take it off with flies and all.... depends how desperate yu are I guess.

Someone else said to soak a towel in fairy liquid in water and leave it flat out on the bulge to soak in... Then remove the towel and the flies come away. Don't know if it works.

I've always had to resort to elbow grease and still leave some of the little blighters behind.. (Got some of that waterfree cleaner at the last show and that doesn't work either).:Sad:

3. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ours got covered in the orange squashed variety on the way back from Druiridge Bay Northumberland , a couple of weeks ago. Because of all the hot weather they got baked on.
    Ralph still hadn't managed to get them all off before our trip to the I.O.W where we collected more, this time of the black squashed variety!
    These got baked on even more, along with the remaining orange ones , with the red hot weather we had.
    Once home he spent ages up the step ladders with a soft brush and various car and MH cleaners.
    Eventually fairy liquid and hot water saved the day.
    There must be something on the market specifically for removing bugs.
    Our luton has windows to the 3 sides so we dont really want to use the jet washer on it.
    Bev

4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Don't have the same problem now low profile, but found a wet towel laid across and kept damp with a hose for a while prior to cleaning often did the trick, on previous vans.

Would not resort to power washer have seen the damage they have caused to sealing etc.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Dropped on this by accident -2 caps of bio washing liquid mixed with about a pint of bleach then water into a gallon garden pressure spray -spray onto front of van, rub with a soft extending brush, rinse off with hose :thumb: move onto 1 side and repeat :thumb: about 20 mins to do all the van :thumb: also removes black streaks :Rofl1:
    terry

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you wouldnt be an ex-tugger would you ?

you see them on all the sites washing their caravans :Doh:

do you wash your car to get the bugs off when you get to the supermarket ?????
    just leave it 'til you get home and do it once :thumb:

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've used those "magic sponge erasers" in the past. Now use Onedrywash as for the rest of the van. Takes a bit of rubbing but no worse than getting rid of black streaks.

Graham

8. Terry

Terry Funster

Defiantly in your camp John :thumb: only wash it before we go :Rofl1: if it was left to me it would not get that :thumb: but all I want is a peaceful life :Eeek: if you get my drift :thumb::Rofl1:
    terry

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

yep!!!

set off for two weeks in spain with a white van.....came back with a white van with a red front.

i was on hols and wasnt wasting time cleaning bugs off. :thumb:

10. lookback

lookback Read Only Funster

I found that using a piece of cloth - mosquito netting - is great for getting the dead flies etc off the front of the MH with minimum of effort.

Ian

11. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Surely the most logical answer is don't go to Chester. :Smile:

Phil

I'll get my coat .......:Tongue1:

12. Smoogy

Smoogy Read Only Funster

Although I think your cleaning tendencies might be touching on the excessive, I shall indulge you in my secrets...,
    firstly, I wouldn't use a jet-wash on anything that resembles plastic as our motorhome manufacturers spend all their time trying to keep the water out, (water under pressure can be used as a cutting tool).
    So we should look to our motorcycling friends who have spent more time removing these 'spot welded' fiends from their visors, teeth & eyeballs! :Rofl1:
    The liquid you're looking for is the aptly named product 'Bug Off ' but as the old boys will tell you the best trick in the book is to get a paper towel immerse it in warm water and leave on van to soak for 5-10 minutes. This will magically lift the bugs off, the only problem with this is that the front of the van will end up looking like an ogre's shaving accident so a good adaptation is to use an old bed sheet, one with high cotton content to absorb water and remain flat to the unit.
    Hope this helps

13. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I find that buying a van in dark-blue seems to work.

Doesn't stop them splattering the front....you just can't see it as much. :BigGrin:

14. movan

movan Funster Life Member

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. GregM

GregM Read Only Funster

Oh, are you meant to wash the flies off, I thought they were used to record/show off how many miles you have driven in your motorhome. Please don't tell Tracey that's not the case.

16. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Like it - never thought of that option.:Laughing::Laughing:

Phil

17. Wikisnoodle

Wikisnoodle Read Only Funster

Thanks to all responders. No, I'm not an ex-tugger – it's just one of those laws that says, on pitching, my van will always have more of the horrors than anybody else's!

I'd go for the idea of seeing how many I could collect, but I don't think my clean freak co-traveller would fall for that one. :Smile: so wet bedsheet it is then!

18. Euromobil

Euromobil Read Only Funster

Try your local "poundstretcher" they do a £1 trigger spray of Tar/Insect remover. Spray on, leave for a few mins just rinse off, sounds too good to be true but it really works , gets rid of black streaks as well.