Just Wondering How Many Funsters... (1 Viewer)

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Its one of the many examples of why we need a two tier motorway system in this country, probably funded by tolls. Never happen though cos we are run by nimbys and scaredy cats
No, we need either a bigger country or fewer people (ergo vehicles) - simple as.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Approx. 60mph on Sat Nav works for me. Only go up to 70 when overtaking a lorry overtaking a 50mph driver.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
100kph = 62mph - feels about right, but has the disadvantage on a 2 lane autobahn that you are too fast for the trucks and far too slow for the outside lane. Slowing down means you are in one long conveyor belt of arctics who travel inches from each other.

Accidents are caused by loss of space or loss of time - I like to have clear road around me to allow for others mistakes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Occasionally I drive at Naughty miles an hour I can't believe how well the ol girl handles. I must stress I must average around 60ish and get good fuel economy in Europe far better than blighty

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph's noticed he drives much faster in Pug ( our Peugeot PVC) on the motorway. He says he thinks it's because Pug drives like a big car. Rather than being blown about on motorways and feeling top heavy round corners,mon country roads.
That could have been because our previous mph had a big Luton up front.
Whereas Pug is a lot more aerodamic , and the body isn't as tall. He sets the cruise control or speed limiter to control his speed.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How many of you Funsters drive your motorhomes at 80 mph on the motorways?

JJ :cool:

is that not illegal Mr JJ.. ?

how many have you reported ? :giggler:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
After reading Mr Carhil interesting post on his first weekend away in his motorhome I got to wonder...

How many of you Funsters drive your motorhomes at 80 mph on the motorways?

Maximum probably about 68 MPH in this MH, anything above 60 crucifies the MPG. Done 1000's of miles in Germany where 60 MPH qualifies as reverse.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I guess that speed would return about 24 mpg in my van.
50 - 55 mph gets me 34 mpg
But then I'm a Scottish/Yorkshire man ---- and retired.

(Although 127 + mph on my Yamaha bike between M1 - J23-24 cost me £230 + a four month ban once. Horses for courses I guess)
On my ZZR1100....I got the Tshirt +10 MPH just to make sure ;)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My view of motorways is that they aren't somewhere I choose to be so on and off as quickly as possible seems sensible. In anything other than the MH I drive as quickly as I think I can get away with - normally a genuine 80 unless in a 50 when it's 55.

In the MH + trailer a satnav 65 / speedo 72 on cruise control seems like a good compromise between economy and utter boredom.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Coming back from the Romney meet I must have hit an indicated 80 mph on a couple of occasions when overtaking to keep space around me. There you go @JJ - shop me. Still drove slower than most of the cars though.

A couple of months ago managed 133 mph on the GPS. Legally of course.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
is that not illegal Mr JJ.. ?

how many have you reported ? :giggler:

I'm afraid Jim he would have had to start with ME!
I'm only really speeding when on my own though, especially if no one around on the motorway as it did happen when coming back from Portugal a few years back

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Coming back from the Romney meet I must have hit an indicated 80 mph on a couple of occasions when overtaking to keep space around me. There you go @JJ - shop me. Still drove slower than most of the cars though.

A couple of months ago managed 133 mph on the GPS. Legally of course.
If it was on the autobahn I have been told German insurance is invalid over 130 MPH ? ?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I'm afraid Jim he would have had to start with ME!
I'm only really speeding when on my own though, especially if no one around on the motorway as it did happen when coming back from Portugal a few years back
:giggler:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If it was on the autobahn I have been told German insurance is invalid over 130 MPH ? ?
Never heard that one...... I do know that if you do have a crash when doing in excess of the advisory speed limit of 130KPH on the derestricted sections, then Herr Polizei throws the book at you......

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Limited to 80Mph by the ecu, did do it once, as the other poster said "the steering got interesting":) Never did it again, normally follow the lorries in the UK and around 55-60 on toll roads in France.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I quite often cruise at 80 + in the merc auto ...dependent on traffic conditions.
If im lucky nikki goes to sleep and i record mpg of abouy 16 mpg...
But
Do you know what?
I really dont care ...its my money my license and ill spend it how i wish.
Im not sure but i think ive been flashed by cameras more on this holiday than Princess Dianna was when in france.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I quite often cruise at 80 + in the merc auto ...dependent on traffic conditions.
But
Do you know what?
Im not sure but i think ive been flashed by cameras more on this holiday than Princess Dianna was when in france.
In the light of the above, I would recommending avoiding the Rouen underpass. Freedom of choice rules (y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
But
Do you know what?
Next year the most stringent EU traffic laws come into effect here (despite the UK going to court to stop them). The country of your indiscretions will have the legal right and means to fine you and give you equivalent offence points on your UK licence.....just saying (y)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Its all right i would have evoked article 50 by then..

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
After a while the view of the back of lorries gets boring, most of them only do 60mph so only need to nip up to 70mph to pass them on the flat. But for some reason my Autotrail hates long slow rising hills and the trucks soon over take and the game starts all over again !

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Even if I did drive at 80mph, I certainly wouldn't be advertising it on here. The trouble with social media is that its the second place (after mobile phone) that traffic police would investigate if you were unfortunate enough to be involved in a serious accident. What might seem like light hearted banter on here would sound very different if you had to explain in from the dock of a courthouse?

I'm not trying to be a killjoy with my comment, Perhaps I can put it this way, don't write anything on social media that you wouldn't say to a judge & jury that have had a sense of humour bypass.

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I don't think that speed up to 80mph is as significant has how fast the driver can react and bring their vehicle to a halt. I'd prefer not to find my remains in a MH that couldn't quickly enough.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I would take some really, really strong convincing that the police have the man power, and the desire, to search internet forums in order to try to gather evidence for a speeding charge.

Just can't see it happening... not that I care either way... I no longer break speed limits (by much).

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would take some really, really strong convincing that the police have the man power, and the desire, to search internet forums in order to try to gather evidence for a speeding charge.

Just can't see it happening... not that I care either way... I no longer break speed limits (by much).

That's true.

Not that I speed but they would also need to narrow down which Chris in Kent has been doing the speeding and then admitting it on here.

Job for Sherlock I think(y)

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If they try to get me, I simply call on a brilliant lawyer I know and he will sort it out and probably get me massive compensation for harassment in the process... ;)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If they try to get me, I simply call on a brilliant lawyer I know and he will sort it out and probably get me massive compensation for harassment in the process... ;)

You had better get me his number too.

Just in case like.:)

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Usually stick to about 60mph, indicated speed on SatNav, when on Motorways. Have travelled at 75ish when traffic tailbacks left us short of time to catch a ferry but don't normally feel the need.

60mph, cruise control on, armrests in position, stereo playing, relaxed cruising rather than "hell for leather" for me any time.(y)
Same here. Satnav shows the highest speed recorded was 83mph. I don't have any problem with people driving at whatever speed they choose (within reason) and I normally travel a fair bit faster in the car. However in the motorhome I try to never be in a rush so driving is slower and a lot more relaxed.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Before I get any abuse I should add that the 83mph was during a trip to Germany on a derestricted section of road so perfectly legal.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
they only need your ISP address.. and your nicked.. banged to rights.. a fair cop governor ;)

That is the computer's address...

It doesn't tell anyone who was actually using it at the time of the "confession".

My lawyer would have me out of there before anyone could say "tough luck copper, now be gone"!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back