Just Wondering How Many Funsters... (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
50/52,set cruise control sit back and relax, it's amazing the difference going that speed makes to your stress levels.

Slow enough so that HGV's can pass easily and not constantly changing lanes to overtake, everyone( well almost) overtakes me

Better MPG is just a bonus.

I have spent the biggest part of my working life driving HGV's and I have formulated this strategy as best not to get under anyone's feet, though some may disagree.........probably tipper drivers or car transporters:)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
@JJ You won't be surprised if I say Max goes up to 75 quite easily ..on a motorway... :DBut you saw me disapear ahead so many times, even on national roads,... not at the same speed though ... well not always :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
And if they did Mr @JJ if would involve putting things away ;) and not driving off with everything on the table. :LOL:
The only time I go for it is :rolleyes: if I have a swaying caravan in front or a trucker pushing me :eek: but if he can keep the speed up I let him go. :D Bob

I can see the report now........Killed by a tray of lettuce plants.

Reactions: Les
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Winnie likes to go at between 55 - 65. I doubt she could manage 80......not even down hill with a following wind! :ROFLMAO:

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
The problem with driving at 80mph in the UK is that I find it harder to text and drink my bottle of pale ale at the same time...

Whereas at 60mph, I can manage it easily...:D:D:D Although I still struggle to uncork a bottle of wine at the same time...

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The problem with driving at 80mph in the UK is that I find it harder to text and drink my bottle of pale ale at the same time...

Whereas at 60mph, I can manage it easily...:D:D:D Although I still struggle to uncork a bottle of wine at the same time...
It's easy...... you just need more practise. Steer with your knees and that frees up both hands to uncork the bottle. Mind you, we tend to drink champagne which makes it easier, with the added bonus of being able to ping slower motorhome drivers with the cork out of the window.......

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Most definitely this!!

Udo cruises between 50 and 60mph on the motorway, unless it's a steep hill and then it's generally much less.

Unless you are going down hill, then it will be much More :)

Reactions: DBK
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Usually stick to about 60mph, indicated speed on SatNav, when on Motorways. Have travelled at 75ish when traffic tailbacks left us short of time to catch a ferry but don't normally feel the need.

60mph, cruise control on, armrests in position, stereo playing, relaxed cruising rather than "hell for leather" for me any time.(y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My Hymer's sweetspot was 80mph. Most of her miles she towed a heavy trailer at 55mph Without the trailer she insisted on galloping up to 80 as fast as she could :)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We stick to 55 - 60 normally - stretch to 65 - 70 if ln a hurry (rarely) went up to 80+ once here in France on the motorway just to see if it could do it! reached 80 with lots to spare but that was fast enough so slowed down to 60! :)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
65 -ish. It is a bit of a compromise speed between rattles, handling (wind) and acceptable MPG

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I drive especially fast in France.

Just to get out of there :D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
@JJ You won't be surprised if I say Max goes up to 75 quite easily ..on a motorway... :DBut you saw me disapear ahead so many times, even on national roads,... not at the same speed though ... well not always :whistle:
Having been chauffeured around Toulouse by your good self, can't imagine you dawdling anywhere in anything.;):)

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
55-65mph. for some reason seems to like 57 proberbly to do with the fuel map?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Having been chauffeured around Toulouse by your good self, can't imagine you dawdling anywhere in anything.;):)

I love driving , and funnily I feel alive when it's going fast while it could kill me, but I'm trying to be very careful ... but of course ...a punctured tyre can do a lot of harm

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
70mph in the MH , 180mph on the straight at Elvington track day in my old Lotus Elise !
Tell me more about this Elise that will do 180mph :eek:

As for motorhome speed, on a clear motorway I have the cruise set at a sat nav indicated 70mph. I find it less relaxing travelling at slower speeds as you get caught up with the trucks and coaches plus the annoying car drivers who can't maintain a constant speed.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Never do more than about 60 ish- too tight to pay the extra cost ;)

80 is a bit daft. 180 is insane. But did see 186 on the Satnav I taped to the clocks when I was instructing at Bedford Aerodrome ;)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I couldn't do 80mph downhill with a following wind. Maybe 70mph on some stretches of an empty autoroute, but more usually around 60mph when in France.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
OH does all the driving and I've never looked at the speedo. I know he does a lot of swearing, mostly in the uk.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
50/52,set cruise control sit back and relax, it's amazing the difference going that speed makes to your stress levels.

Slow enough so that HGV's can pass easily and not constantly changing lanes to overtake, everyone( well almost) overtakes me

Better MPG is just a bonus.

I have spent the biggest part of my working life driving HGV's and I have formulated this strategy as best not to get under anyone's feet, though some may disagree.........probably tipper drivers or car transporters:)

And the queue of traffic in the outside lane trying to get past the queue of tipper drivers and car transporters

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
i only do 80mph when towing the toad,otherwise 90 is the norm for me:LOL:
Over taken by a mh towing a toad at 80+ couple of weeks ago.
And the queue of traffic in the outside lane trying to get past the queue of tipper drivers and car transporters
tell me about it! I was over taken on the hard shoulder of a slip road today by a merc doing around 80 who then cut across in front and back in to the lane continuing straight ahead just get last everyone who was going straight ahead.People like that should really be put down.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Over taken by a mh towing a toad at 80+ couple of weeks ago.
tell me about it! I was over taken on the hard shoulder of a slip road today by a merc doing around 80 who then cut across in front and back in to the lane continuing straight ahead just get last everyone who was going straight ahead.People like that should really be put down.

The roads are a busy place these days. TBH as lo g as people have the consideration to keep out of everyone's way between 7am and 7pm I think people can just be who they want to be.. between 7and7 though I think you should have to apply for an additional driving teat before you are allowed on the road. One that tests your consideration for other road users and the consequences of your choices..

BTW I do 80 in the van when I'm in a hurry just like I do in the car.. Makes very little noticeable difference to my fuel consumption and means I can get places quicker. I very rarely drive my van in peak road hours though.

Deleted User

I was waiting for that, believe me it works, the worst thing for a truck driver is someone p*******g about slightly slower or faster than they are.

My philosophy is either go a lot faster or appreciably slower so that trucks do not cause a bottleneck by overtaking, I do not wish to go a lot faster so I choose the latter course.

If I do need to overtake then I do so as quickly as possible so as not to cause problems for others, it is a well thought out strategy borne from experience:)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I was waiting for that, believe me it works, the worst thing for a truck driver is someone p*******g about slightly slower or faster than they are.

My philosophy is either go a lot faster or appreciably slower so that trucks do not cause a bottleneck by overtaking, I do not wish to go a lot faster so I choose the latter course.

If I do need to overtake then I do so as quickly as possible so as not to cause problems for others, it is a well thought out strategy borne from experience:)

Its one of the many examples of why we need a two tier motorway system in this country, probably funded by tolls. Never happen though cos we are run by nimbys and scaredy cats

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I usually try to stay at around 2000rpm, that's about 60 in top gear, unless I need to overtake and then take it up to whatever's required and back down to the 2000rpm :)

Never cruised at 80mph, seen lots that do, especially on the M25 for some strange reason, as it's the best place to be caught for speeding, especially with those new speed cameras installed in random places and my licence is far too important to lose it while speeding in the motorhome!!!! Thought they're meant for relaxing in :)
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Friend of mine regularly does 80 in his Autotrail, says it cruises nicely at that speed, but not for me thanks chef, I'm happiest being relaxed and getting nowhere particularly fast :)
image.png

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I find cruising at 70 mph is a comfortable speed in our MH on the French roads. I get a reasonable MPG and a comfortable ride.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back