Just when you think every thing is sorted

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Howard H, May 23, 2016.

1. Howard H

Howard H Funster Life Member

Hi everyone,just when you think ever thing is sorted and the pre trip nerves are starting to calm down but only a bit another wave of panic washes over me . We go to France on the 5 th June and now I believe there is a fuel shortage what advice can our seasoned travels give ,should I take a few jerry cans of fuel or is being blown out of proportion or should I cancel France and go somewhere else . What do you all think ?

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

We have had many fuel shortages here in the UK when were you last left stranded
    Some scaremongering is taking place the only spare fuel I think you will need is 1 gallon
    to get you to the next campsite or Aire where you can sit it out if it is at all real

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Steve and Kat

Steve and Kat Funster

East Sussex, Nr Bateman's & West Sussex, Horsham
    We are off to Brittany for a couple of weeks from the 2nd June, our first trip abroad.. To be honest, I couldn't care less about fuel shortages... I'm sure there will be enough for people. A 20 litre Jerry can won't get you very far anyway, will it... (y)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. robnchris

robnchris Funster

We leave June 2nd also, 6am shuttle, can`t see Chris sacrificing precious shoe and handbag space for extra fuel cans!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

I would not worry go with a full tank, top it up as you can if it makes you feel better, until you get the feel of the situation. Most of all don't worry that is not what it's all about.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Steve and Kat

Steve and Kat Funster

Well well well.. We are also on the same 6am Shuttle....:D
    If you see the Apache AutoTrial owners looking worried about entering the train, that'll be us :whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

@Howard H - a few years ago we got caught up in a fuel shortage for a few days. We stuck it out at an aire until deliveries restarted. The only advice I can offer is to make sure you have access to the internet while you're away. That way you can find out what is going on. We were fortunate that the local shop owner wanted to practice his English so kept us informed!
    P.S. The French for strike is "la grève" - just in case you need it!
    P.P.S. we didn't let the problem spoil our holiday - just get over there and have fun!

• Like Like x 2
  8. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

You should try it with a 10m RV. I have to pull in the mirrors, to get past the fire doors. Easy peasy. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Arrived a Port Grimaud from Genoa yesterday. Filled up on French side with diesel and LPG without any problems, except was asked for the first time by a young till girl what the LPG was for? Car, yes engine but you have camper. A guy came and looked and as I have my filler under the diesel filler he gave me thumbs up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. chaser

chaser Funster

W
    when we went a couple of weeks ago there was a coach driver in front of us made a right pigs ear of getting on , must have been 15 mins shunting back and forth, maybe his first trip or something but others just sail on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Fuel shortage????
    What fuel shortage?

We are now at Gruissan (near Narbonne) and haven't had any problems filling up over the last two weeks.
    There has been a local problem in the north I think but we have travelled from the centre of the country to the south and not seen any problems.
    Don't worry about problems that don't exist, keep the tank topped up rather than let it run low and just enjoy your trip.

Richard.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. chaser

chaser Funster

We always tend to fill up as soon as we half empty, costs no more well actually cheaper because you can choose a services that is cheap instead of emergency filling on a mway or something.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Clarky

Clarky Funster

There is plenty of room to get onto the train. The loading ramps are quite long so drive well across the ramp, then turn sharply so that the rear is in line and drive in straight and level.
    Easy peasy!

Richard.

14. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Well well well indeed we also have an Apache, small world, this trip we will be in a VW Golf estate, the shuttle is so easy and convenient you`ll wonder why you haven`t used it before.

We will look out for you but if we don`t find you have a safe journey, we are driving through France to italy taking 5 weeks to just chill out and enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steve and Kat

Steve and Kat Funster

and we have a VW Golf too :LOL: ......

16. Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour Read Only Funster

Just and fill up a little more often ie at half rather than wait for empty.

• Like Like x 1
  17. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    If you happen to be in the North or Brittany I can assure you there is a 'local' problem and the problem does exist unless the closed fuel stations and lack of diesel is all just a bad dream or I have slipped through a wormhole into an alternative reality:)

My advice, as others have said ship over with a full tank, fill up when possible and keep abreast of the situation.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lynne Steele

Lynne Steele Funster

I have just changed my crossing, now going to St Malo and if no fuel available at least I can have a lovely holiday in Brittany as long as we leave with full tank, we were heading for Arcachon but love Brittany and loads of lovely places to visit there,

• Like Like x 3
  19. Howard H

Just another thought ,are there any regulations on how much extra fuel in Jerry can you can take in the tunnel to France ?

20. Howard H

Just to answer my own question and it might be of interest to someone ,you are allowed to take 3x10 lt plastic containers or 1 x20lt metal container .