Just wanted to drop by and say Goodbye ! (1 Viewer)

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Sorry to read the mrs Buckets out there have got to you :cry:

We were recently on the Ile De Re on a trip in france (cheaper fuel, cheap aries :Smile:) and got chatting to a brit when i said E16 was a bit expensive on the toll bridge he replied with a serious expresion on his chops "it keeps the riff raff off the island" ! I said "well im here so they failed did`nt they" !
Thats the only snob ive come accross most are down to earth with a good sense of humour.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
so sorry to her that i have experienced it first hand to but i rise above them i remember you a witbye our first ever meet in our old van every on made us welcome ples ples don't let the cc c&cc w........ to distroy you fun i can never under stand the snobbery that exist
when i had my converted van we went round Europe bumped in to sumone on the ferry on the way back who sad wat a wreck i bet it isent even insured properly and we were giving the British a bad name on the way out ware was his van on the way back on a recovery truck my van got there and back under it's own power my wife had to remind me the she culdent drive the van if i got locked up but advised the guy to f.............off before he got hurt
most older van are beater looked after than the snobs vans beaus most of the snobs cul-dent recognise a fault if it jumped up and bit them in the bum don't go:cry::cry:
cheers bill lyn jay

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
You dont need a Motorhome to have Fun, enjoy your camping life and if your ever up our way your Welcome to call in on US,even with chiefton tank ,so again it does not matter what you have most important its who you ARE!,Let the snobs keep in there on circle,have fun what ever cheers Alf.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't go just because you are currently tugging, their are many other members who tug, tent, or are just looking for something.
Although my van is newish, I find a lot of Brits abroad don't speak to anyone, don't know why, the French and Germans speak to everyone, as do most of the Dutch. It may just be diffidence rather than snobbery.
The Le Sharo is a brilliant design, and although I've never driven one, I would expect it would be great to drive.
I am looking to try to get a half share in a caravan as well as keeping the motorhome, as there are some places where a caravan is more convenient than a motorhome (I would put most of the UK in this category)

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
i can relate to this post,mate of mine lived in an ex council house with a 40 grand motorhome stood on the drive,his wife loved to tell everyone how much they paid for it,he was a bit more down to earth,and would shoot her down in flames every time the subject cropped up,"dont forget its on a huge hp payment" :RollEyes:
that motorhome never went far as he was always working, and got repossessed when he ran out of work:RollEyes:
i often ask her why she sold the motorhome:roflmto::roflmto:

I live in an ex council house and have a nearly new motorhome on the drive, both paid for through hard graft. Does that make any of you better than me just because I live on a council estate.

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Some people talk some don't, on a lot of sites I've noticed a lot of people keep themselves to themselves not really wanting to talk.if someone wants a chat all well and good if not so what. Snobbery who gives a monkeys I don't nor should anyone else really. If you enjoy being a member of this forum why leave, every ones opinion is always welcome on here some funny some serious some bloody good advice as well, people on here with a common cause enjoying what you've got while you've got it, and who actually cares what it is.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You shouldn't let the comments of idiots put you off. We have owned a Fendt caravan for the last five years, (now sadly going), and I was sat outside one lovely evening. A couple were on the night time 'walkabout', but didn't see me. Wife says "What's that Jim"? Jim replied "Its a Itinerant van, they shouldn't let them join the CC, scumbags......"
I stood up, walked around the corner and said "yes, and I'm going to steal YOUR battery tonight"

Two red faces as they walked away fast.:thumb::thumb:

Dont just leave, keep in touch.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I've never experienced that from the Caravan Club as on all there sites yoy go round the site and pick your own pitch Bill

unless you in a rely old conversion have experienced it a few times threatened to s...... on the toilet step when i was told i wasent getting a key as my van was i bit orffffffff
eventually they were told by the cc HQ to apologies and give us a beater pitch we wer told we could stay on the house for as long as we wanted so wee stayed fore week's much to his dismay of the owner we striped down a old washing macheen with the feral kids as he refer to them just for the hell off it:ROFLMAO:
think we must have aged him ten years in the fore weeks we stayed there :RollEyes:
were not rely bad people or any thing but wat a grate time we had winding him up
bill

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Please don`t go, no need to, we were in the CC 20 odd years ago,when we had our first caravan, an old Eldiss, we went to help a couple struggling with a trailer tent in the wind, folks in their posh new caravans sat in their windows with drinks in their hands watching, this couple had been struggling for hours and not one offer of help, we left the CC there and then, now members of the C&CC club,

My little MH is 11 years old, far better made than newer ones, jmo on build quality, we also have a caravan, which I would sell tomorrow, love tHe ease and quickness of setting up with MH , caravaned for decades, now have seen te light:ROFLMAO: just got to convince Hubby.

When on a site this year we came across snobishness, ours is a new caravan but that is not the point, we wouldn`t have a new one unless our old one hadn`t been written off in the hail storm last year, insurance would only pay out peanuts if we didn`t buy new as we had new for old policy.
The snobbines , we had was from large new MHs, older ones were friendly, I have found MH / Caravaners who use to be tenters are the friendliest. snobs in all areas of life, ignore them, it`s people that matter not material things.:thumb:

Please come back.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I live in an ex council house and have a nearly new motorhome on the drive, both paid for through hard graft. [HI]Does that make any of you better than me just because I live on a council estate[/HI].
Not because you live on a council estate, why would it.?
My referance was to those who delight in using their posh motorhome as a status symbol while away from their normal life. The reason that I referred to a council house as an example was simply that when purchased under the right to buy it would normally leave access to a large amount of equity in the property early on. This would not be the case when purchasing without any right to buy discount where there would be little chance of getting additional mortgage funding.:thumb:

Last edited:

MadMerv

Free Member
Jun 23, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Tw×*s

Not attended a Fun rally yet due to some health issues, hope to next year...but in talking and viewing the forums you all appear to be a friendly bunch. When I turn up in my old a class put me where you like you won't upset me i'm glad for every day I get and won't give it a second thought!!! You want a cupper and a chat fine, if not fine!!
I would have painted your old van bright Orange just to piss them off more :Angry: if we meet up come and have cupper and a chat, that applies to all. :thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Not because you live on a council estate, why would it.?
My referance was to those who delight in using their posh motorhome as a status symbol while away from their normal life. The reason that I referred to a council house as an example was simply that when purchased under the right to buy it would normally leave access to a large amount of equity in the property early on. This would not be the case when purchasing without any right to buy discount where there would be little chance of getting additional mortgage funding.:thumb:
i like this and it's trew
The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.
nice saying that's us:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We had an old G reg Pilote A class, must admit we had a few sideways looks when we pulled up on a site, but still got on with all in sundry.

However having said that the only true "holier than thou" snobbery we came across, was when we rallied with the CC Devon and Cornwall Centre, we stuck the clique behavoir for a couple of years, then decided we would leave them alone. We continued Rallying with the CC&C MCS and the odd DA and found them to be a more congenial crowd

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Not attended a Fun rally yet due to some health issues, hope to next year...but in talking and viewing the forums you all appear to be a friendly bunch. When I turn up in my old a class put me where you like you won't upset me i'm glad for every day I get and won't give it a second thought!!! You want a cupper and a chat fine, if not fine!!
I would have painted your old van bright Orange just to piss them off more :Angry: if we meet up come and have cupper and a chat, that applies to all. :thumb:

Get WELL SOON and HAVE FUN:thumb::thumb:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
i like this and it's trew
[HI]The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.[/HI]
nice saying that's us:thumb:

This, I agree with.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have seen this snobbery many times over the years but i pity the snobs. in their perfect imaginary world everyone is well off and capable of purchasing the latest and greatest whatever

we have been dirt poor and the only way we could afford a holiday for us and our daughter was first in a tent. over the years we scrimped and saved our money and went from tent to trailer tent to ancient caravan newer caravan to homebuild camper vans. eventually we could afford a nearly new caravan and following coming into an unexpected windfall we bought our first and only new motorhome. since then we have had several nearly new motorhomes and a decent caravan.

as you can see from the above, we've been there ourselves, so would never look down our noses at anybody else's camping unit. we have also generally found those who have had to struggle to buy an older van are some of the most genuine and nice people you could wish to meet

the old keeping up appearances brigade are worried so much of what others think of them they forget to enjoy the lifestyle. they also forget that they were not born middle aged comfortable and opinionated

back to the op i don't think that the camping unit has any bearing on membership of motorhomefun. don't lose touch with the friends you've made in this club because of a few small minded bigots. you are as equally valued as our millionaire members. camping is a great leveler.... no matter how rich or poor you all still crap on a plastic toilet and have to empty it at an elsan point. rv owners with porcelain bogs and tanks still have to handle shitty hoses, so no difference before some smart arse says points it out:thumb:

OP
OP
Madmark62

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
Thanks everyone, as I said last night, everyone we have met through Fun have been fantastic.
I am pretty sure I wont be leaving Fun for ever !
When we were in Whitby last year , the van was a bloody mess outside, as we were still in the process of doing it up. We took a lot longer to finish it than I expected, because we were using it most weekends, which is more than can be said for some of the new mh, the ones that never bloody move except for 2 weeks in August.

I am sure we will meet up with you all again at some point.:Smile:

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
the van was a bloody mess outside ... because we were using it most weekends

We didn't wash ours until over a year and 6000+ miles since buying it! They aren't bought (at least, by us, ours wasn't) to show off. It's for using, enjoying and relaxing in. I would think, and hope that most people are the same. The more I read this thread and the contributions to it, the more I am astounded by the behaviour of some MH owners. I've been on many car forums over the years and there are always the guys who try SO hard to confirm for acceptance, it is weird and usually when you meet them in person, they are weird!

Like everyone else said, don't sweat it. They ain't right in the head :p

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've noticed the 'we've got more money than you' attitude at some shows....particularly with some RV clubs. (not RVOC i might add....same attitude and principles as motorhomefun.)

No, it always appears the newer £150,000 plus RV gin palaces get pole position, while the older sub £25000 RV's get shoved to the back out of sight.

i for one wouldnt want to be associated with such a club.

good luck with your caravan and you're always welcome at any fun meet or rally.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks everyone, as I said last night, everyone we have met through Fun have been fantastic.
I am pretty sure I wont be leaving Fun for ever !
When we were in Whitby last year , the van was a bloody mess outside, as we were still in the process of doing it up. We took a lot longer to finish it than I expected, because we were using it most weekends, which is more than can be said for some of the new mh, the ones that never bloody move except for 2 weeks in August.
I am sure we will meet up with you all again at some point.:Smile:
Just noticed where you are from Mm62 could explane a lot:roflmto: we dont have these issues in the south east, we are all upper crust.:winky:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
A sad state of affairs when some people swank away with their new number plate or latest whatever..

Most probably bought on the never never and certainly not built as well as your Classic Winnebago.
Personally we don`t care how much money a person has, it`s a sure indication of how shallow they are if they think possessions and a wallet will impress another.

Good luck with your new caravan. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back