Just turning up at Campsites

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by gazza280, Mar 2, 2013.

1. gazza280

gazza280 Read Only Funster

Hi Guys

Just a quick query.
    I am spending a few days away next week but I will need to stay at camp sites. I have booked sites before but always given a few days notice, but this time I won't be able to book in advance because I don't have a particular route to follow and I will need EHU.
    How common is it to just phone a site giving a few hours notice. I was told that a lot of sites will accommodate if there is space but I'm not sure so I thought I would ask the people who will know.
    I don't want to wild camp if I can help it so your advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Guys:Doh:

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

at this time of year i wouldnt worry about just arriving, i would worry about if the site is open
    if it is open they should welcome you with open arms. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

just turning up

Just curious, why do you need EHU? what van do you have?

S

4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Never a problem really. If they have space, they will let you in, like all business's they need the money.

Good if you can phone before you go though just to save a wasted journey. Of course do remember that most CL's CS's or Caravan Club sites will expect you to show a card and be a member so if your not a member of the two big clubs, make sure you point that out before arrival.

As PappaJohn says, this time of year should pose no problems. Come easter fortnight when the road hoggers come out to play, you can expect many sites to be quite booked up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Even in the height of season when sites are full, just turning up can often magic up a pitch that would not be found had you phoned. Sometimes it might mean juggling a pitch, here tonight there tomorrow! That's an issue for a tugger but easy for us motorhomers.

Best practice meant my ugly head would stay hidden in the van, while Sian would go in with a big smile, even the most miserable of wardens have succumbed to it and her plees for a tiny corner, anywhere, thanks ever so much.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mavis

Mavis Funster

We just turn up no problems this time of year.
    Sue it is hard to go to a site and not have hook up. They all seem to charge for electric and dont have pitches without.

7. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

Make sure the Camp site is open, many are not this time of year, and being a member of one of the Clubs would be an advantage.

I joined the Caravan Club a couple of weeks ago and on my first UK trip, we have always gone to France before, went to two CC sites.

The first accepted CC members only - but didn't ask for proof of Membership and also charged more than the price in the CC Sites directory.

The second accepted both CC Members and non-members - but CC members were charged less.

Both sites had EHU, water and waste facilities included in the price but, on the much bigger site, things like shop, food outlet and swimming pool were not open or available.

It is highly unlikely that any sites are full at this time of year but having hard standing may be an advantage as grassed areas in most of the country are still recovering from the rain and snow of the past few months.

:france::france::france:

8. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Read Only Funster

Never normally bother booking and rarely have a problem even in summer.The only times we have booked have been to get on to the site at the CC Site at York as you need to book well in advance to get on there! (we got a cancelation two days before going!)The problem with booking is that it puts you on a scedule and the whole point of motorhoming for us is to not be on a schedule and wake up in the morning able to go where we want.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. WillH

WillH Funster

Like Johnstey above, we never bother booking at this time of year and only book in the summer if we are visiting a very popular area. Off to Keswick next week, maybe, if the weather holds, if not we'll go somewhere else.

Rgds
    Bill

10. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Never book sites home or abroad these days after booking some and they ended up terrible or we never made it for some reason or another.
    never not been able to get on site (almost all are EHU even if you don't use it) even in the height of season.
    Make sure you use an ACSI card to get a good discount if you are going out of season.

11. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

We welcome all visitors, including those who just turn up, and to date have never had to turn people away. Those who require a particular type of pitch, such as our full service pitches, are well advised to book in peak periods, though, as these are in demand, and without a firm booking backed by a small deposit we cannot guarantee a pitch.
    Bob
    www.parcverger.com

12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

no one booked at our place for the last two years, they just turn up, not turned anyone away yet. Have a booking for this year though, Funsters of course:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

As an owner of a campsite we welcome those who book and those that just turn up and as Jim said a smile goes a long way !
    Lots of our customers just turn up and never book other regulars book because they want a certain pitch. So go your merry way I'm sure you will find a pitch without a problem :thumb:

15. The Lobster

The Lobster Funster

How do you find them?

May seem like a stupid question to those who do it, but if you just turn up, how do you find a likely camp site? Do you have peferred guides you take with you - in which case which do you recommend? The reason I ask is that we've booked a rental MH from a company in central England to try out some MH'ing for the first time and were pondering where to take it and to what extent we should pre-book as we are novices.

--Andrew

16. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

17. scousebird

scousebird Funster

The directory was printed for 2012 & 2013 and the site prices have increased this year (along with everything else!), their prices are on the website. A 2 year book keeps membership cost down. :Smile:

18. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Iv`e been a member of the c+cc for over a year now.
    Only ever needed to show the number once in about 25 various sites.
    They now want £40 to rejoin-- -do i need them ?:Eeek: