Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As a fellow trade member I think its a great idea and I might even join in occasionally if you don't mind Eddie:winky:. As some wil know our "motorhome" is a self build Iveco Turbo Daily and th kit inside is to a large part stuff we sell/install but there have been changes along the way and some things I'm less than impressed with. In short if doing nother conversion there are items I would not use again.

We are constantly asked to advise motorhomers on the best way to charge batteries, save gas, save fuel etc. this is a trader who is a motorhomer first and foremost (as am I) offering to give "insider information" on the reasoning behind choosing which bits of kit to fit nd which to leave behind.

An eample of making the right choice for you and the thought processes behind it: in our camper I originally fitted a Sterling B2B charger unit becuase we mainly camp withou hookup (mostly at outdoor shows). When CTEK launched their B2B I replaced the Sterling with one, why?

For a couple of reasons:
1/ Before I recommend a product I like to know that it works and is reliable, the Sterling had proved to be just so but, and its a big but, my vehicle's lternator is only rated at 55 Amps max so the Sterling unit, while it was undoubtedly capable of recharging my leisure battery bank (3X110AH Elecsols) quickly would be giving my alternator a proper battering. Running any machine close to its limits will always reduce its lifespan.

So I swapped it for a CTEK B2B that charges the leisure batts at 20 Amps max, they still get recharged albeit slower but my alternator is less likely to curl up its toes!

Go for it Eddie, I for one will read your report/thoughts with interest, one is never too old to learn.:thumb:

D.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Perhaps if it is going to be contentious, I'll stick to rugby threads and donating raffle prizes on demand! :winky:

Eddie

Eddie, please don't stick to your rugby predictions- you are crap at that. ::bigsmile:

Please keep us updated on your add ons. That way we can make a choice.

The cynics amongst us can also make a choice:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Any free advice is worth having especially from trusted and knowledgable members whether traders or not.

Does it matter if Eddie talks about a particular item, does not mean you have to buy it from him, most of the items he will discuss are available natonwide anyway in the same was if I mention say Fiamma.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I will be interested

I would be interested in your choices and views ........don't have to read it if its crap:ROFLMAO:. like any other post on this excellent forum read if I'm interested ignore if not.:thumb: Do not think I could afford much of the gear but nice to Know whats available and good

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
(jury is out on that one due to the changes regarding Astra1N)

What's that about please? I know it is used to carry Freesat, but was just being nosy and wanted to know more, as had not heard about it ...... :Smile:

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Could I ask just one simple question. Apart from the news, which could be had from a million other sources. What do you find to watch that is so interesting and would warrant such expenditure while you are away in your van. A simple DVD player will give you all the entertainment you could possibly want. Sorry I no understand. :Doh:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Then you lack understanding Buttons. ::bigsmile: It might not be my choice, although it is, but I understand why other people might want to watch tv. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Apr 1, 2012
Sarratt, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since 2012
As a newbie I would welcome any information relating to Motorhomes. The experience and knowledge of all forum users (including traders) makes MHF an interesting and entertaining forum.

I know I have a lot to learn but MHF is a great place to start!!

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
(jury is out on that one due to the changes regarding Astra1N)

What's that about please? I know it is used to carry Freesat, but was just being nosy and wanted to know more, as had not heard about it ...... :Smile:

Thanks!

Hi Astra1N seems to be a very narrow beam. There are conflicting reports about the footprint.

KVH are conducting trials and will publish soon (they have a man driving around with a selection of satellites on his roof:winky:)

Eddie

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Could I ask just one simple question. Apart from the news, which could be had from a million other sources. What do you find to watch that is so interesting and would warrant such expenditure while you are away in your van. A simple DVD player will give you all the entertainment you could possibly want. Sorry I no understand. :Doh:

No need to be sorry Buttons, people can not understand everything, I don't understand how Jet Engines work, but just understand we are all different.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
No need to be sorry Buttons, people can not understand everything, I don't understand how Jet Engines work, but just understand we are all different.
We are indeed Carol and some a lot more different than others. I have a comprehensive understanding of how jet engines work. You only need to ask.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are indeed Carol and some a lot more different than others. I have a comprehensive understanding of how jet engines work. You only need to ask.

Thank you Buttons thats a very kind offer but to understand it I would have to have a interest in Jet Engines, where as if it was flower arranging, or about bits and bobs for my motorhome indeed anything apart from the engine of the motorhome then I become interested, as we agree we are all different.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Then you lack understanding Buttons. ::bigsmile: It might not be my choice, although it is, but I understand why other people might want to watch tv. ::bigsmile:

Ivy
Go on give us a clue, what is it that is so interesting on real time telly when you are sitting on a sunny camp site in Spain. :Cool: You are correct I have a lack of understanding.:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I know it is all about choice,and I know lots of people waste lots of money on things they do not need.:Eeek: Now needing and wanting are two very different things ::bigsmile::thumb:For me the need is the key.:thumb:Where do I draw the line ?I know I do not need screen covers but find that I do need them ::bigsmile: Not saying do without stuff like that but such things as Daves (Newels) 3 x 110 amp hr Lb bank and no mention ofa SOLAR pan set is what I am getting at if you follow my drift.Does he have a need for S/P ? or does he manage fine without ?Is Eddie fitting the S/P because he already knows he is power hungry or JUST IN CASE? or simply because he has the means to fit all the toys? This interests me more-the need - not just fitting them to say I have them :Doh: Why fit two S/P if one does the job?or indeed do you need any ?:winky:Not attacking S/P just questioning why? Come on Eddie give it a try :thumb: Do without until you need ::bigsmile: Then I will be even more interested why/what you fit ::bigsmile:
terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thank you Buttons thats a very kind offer but to understand it I would have to have a interest in Jet Engines, where as if it was flower arranging, or about bits and bobs for my motorhome indeed anything apart from the engine of the motorhome then I become interested, as we agree we are all different.
Do you think that that TV in the van could be a gender thing then, for Flower arranging or bits and bobs in the motorhome are not really male activities. Now if you are suggesting that the two sexes are different then who am I to disagree.:winky:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001

Actually, I was just interested in the changes to Astra - just hadn't heard about them - I don't have satellite in my van either .... and I am sorry I cannot answer your simple question.

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Do you think that that TV in the van could be a gender thing then, for Flower arranging or bits and bobs in the motorhome are not really male activities. Now if you are suggesting that the two sexes are different then who am I to disagree.:winky:

I do think it goes some way to explain it, but then it comes to choice my Hubby likes Moto GP and the Grand Prix so when we are away for extended times he likes to keep up with them, I like Corrie and Nature and Adventure programmes so if its a winters evening when you loose the light early, its nice to have the choice to watch something.

Sometimes the TV may not be switched on for a week but the saterlight is on the top out of the way just there if we choose.

PS, Saterlite Saterlight the correct spelling will not come into my head :Doh:

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

I don't understand why your worried how other people spend their money or how they relax!

I simply like to have all the comforts of home whilst I am away. If we fancy laying on the settee, with a bottle of wine, watching a film, whilst it is horrid weather outside, we can.

I cant understand why people spend hundreds of pounds on DVD's, how do you warrant the expense?

Eddie

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
::bigsmile: OK Eddie creature comforts are acceptable :thumb:Do us a list of what is in the new van and what/why you are fitting
TV, SAT DISH OR ARIEL ?
INTERNAL /EXTERNAL SCREENS ?no need for them ?
GAS TANKS ?
Battery bank ?
etc etc

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I don't understand why your worried how other people spend their money or how they relax!

I simply like to have all the comforts of home whilst I am away. If we fancy laying on the settee, with a bottle of wine, watching a film, whilst it is horrid weather outside, we can.

[HI]I cant understand why people spend hundreds of pounds on DVD's, how do you warrant the expense?
[/HI]
Eddie
I don't know that either Eddie, why carry DVDs when you can fit so many films and music onto a mem stick ipod, ipad Xoom laptop or whatever.

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don't know that either Eddie, why carry DVDs when you can fit so many films and music onto a mem stick ipod, ipad Xoom laptop or whatever.

:winky:Still costs money though! Unless you steal the film/book/music

Motorhomes are like religion. What I believe doesn't make me right or wrong, it may be different to what you believe, that doesn't make you right or wrong.

In the future I may change my mind, I may not, it still remains, what I believe.:Eeek:

Any way, I need to watch the rugby! :thumb:

I will make a list of what I intend to do and why and where the equipment can be bought, send it to Jim and he can decide what to do with it. I think I fancy it being put in his new magazine and then no one has to even see it unless they want to.

I will now bow out of this thread as were now arguing about TV:ROFLMAO:

Eddie

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

We don't all want to watch "VW Campervans Through The Ages" , volumes 1 - 10, on a dark rainy night :winky:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Go on give us a clue, what is it that is so interesting on real time telly when you are sitting on a sunny camp site in Spain. :Cool: You are correct I have a lack of understanding.:Smile:

OK - when we were in Marjal, I particularly enjoyed my early morning cup of tea with a look at the news. Can you just tell me what you'd rather I was doing, or what you would be doing? Not particularly in the morning, maybe the evening. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have to work out much the budgets allows

I have to check the budget these days to see what toys I can have.

Bob:Blush:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I know it is all about choice,and I know lots of people waste lots of money on things they do not need.:Eeek: Now needing and wanting are two very different things ::bigsmile::thumb:For me the need is the key.:thumb:Where do I draw the line ?I know I do not need screen covers but find that I do need them ::bigsmile: Not saying do without stuff like that but such things as Daves (Newels) 3 x 110 amp hr Lb bank and no mention ofa SOLAR pan set is what I am getting at if you follow my drift.Does he have a need for S/P ? or does he manage fine without ?Is Eddie fitting the S/P because he already knows he is power hungry or JUST IN CASE? or simply because he has the means to fit all the toys? This interests me more-the need - not just fitting them to say I have them :Doh: Why fit two S/P if one does the job?or indeed do you need any ?:winky:Not attacking S/P just questioning why? Come on Eddie give it a try :thumb: Do without until you need ::bigsmile: Then I will be even more interested why/what you fit ::bigsmile:
terry

I only mentioned the B2B charger as an example as I don't want to pinch Ed's thread. I do have a 160 Watt solar panel as well as the B2B, why? well two reasons really, 1/ I wanted to be able to advise customers based on personal experience and 2/ because our camper was built for doing outdoor shows and originally was our stand with everything on display running from our leisure batteries so I needed to make sure we had plenty of power.

D.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dave did you S/panel up just to be sure or did you need it ?I accept you never ran out of power with it but did you try without it ?
It is very easy for Eddie to walk around the shop and grab stuff off the shelf simply because he wants it :thumb: but would he have needed it ?
I think he has done the best thing by trying to alter his needs a bit with the none tracking panels because he always forgot to turn them on :Doh:::bigsmile:I also understand him needing a tv (with or without DVDS:winky:)got to watch his rugger :thumb: Be interesting which sat dish he fits and why that one or even dare I say it an Ariel ::bigsmile:
terry

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I particularly like this forum over others because of the light hearted nature of the members. I really am interested in what other members fit to their motorhomes whether or not they are traders or not. I am sure that the members who are traders and are motorhome users have probably more knowledge of what alarm, dish or water purifier is the better one etc. for their individual purposes.
If this translates into a form of advertising then I think I am aware enough to see the wood for the trees and can make up my own mind whether it would fit into my lifestyle.
Long may these traders/users keep adding expertise to the forum which I happily read as often as I can.
John

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Well, I am hoping my dome will pick up some of them Dutch channels I have heard about:winky:

Not tried yet::bigsmile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Dave did you S/panel up just to be sure or did you need it ?I accept you never ran out of power with it but did you try without it ?
It is very easy for Eddie to walk around the shop and grab stuff off the shelf simply because he wants it :thumb: but would he have needed it ?
I think he has done the best thing by trying to alter his needs a bit with the none tracking panels because he always forgot to turn them on :Doh:::bigsmile:I also understand him needing a tv (with or without DVDS:winky:)got to watch his rugger :thumb: Be interesting which sat dish he fits and why that one or even dare I say it an Ariel ::bigsmile:
terry

I thought I made it fairly clear, I went for solar and a big battery bank along with B2B charger becuase wewould be power hungry, I didn't mention the 100 lite compressor fridge though. Running the camper as a show stand with a regular drain of around 10 Amps for 8 hours a day and about 3 amps for the rest of the day (roughly averaged figures) would mean I needed some alternative source of charging the batteries along with a deent sized bank in th first place.

D.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Cheers Dave now I see the reasoning behind the need for the Panel-Same as Eddie not putting the tracking bit on this time :thumb:Although if the tracking job creates up to 5x more power does that mean you can have a 5x smaller panel to get the same power ?Not that with the cost of panels falling and the cost of the tracking system I would not think that anyone would do such a thing :Smile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back