Just seen Jims' book in Practical Motorhome magazine (1 Viewer)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
IMG_0526.JPG
Jims book used in an excellent article on Motorhome security!!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It certainly is a great book. (y) I couldn't afford to buy one, so I stole a copy from our local library. :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A good book indeed.

When were you awarded the BEM, @Jim ? Never knew that. Congratulations in any case

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
A good book indeed.

When were you awarded the BEM, @Jim ? Never knew that. Congratulations in any case
according to one member on here a BEM is one up from getting a badge for skinning badgers.:LOL:

Quote.The whole honours system is a joke. A peerage for giving money to a political party, knighthood for winning medals at the 'lympics or forty years running the local WRVS a BEM - which for those unfamiliar with gongs is the bottom rung of the ladder. One above the Scouts' badge for skinning badgers.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
according to one member on here a BEM is one up from getting a badge for skinning badgers.:LOL:
It is still an honour awarded for something of value though...... and far more "earned" than simple serpents receiving knighthoods for being a jobsworth, sportsmen being awarded high honours for running quickly

Pssst........anyone want to buy some badger skins? I have plenty for sale. All colours......

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Quote.The whole honours system is a joke. A peerage for giving money to a political party, knighthood for winning medals at the 'lympics or forty years running the local WRVS a BEM - which for those unfamiliar with gongs is the bottom rung of the ladder. One above the Scouts' badge for skinning badgers.
You cant say that! Bl**dy hell man, if your awarded the BEM, then it is a great personnel honour, and nothing to be derided about. If Jim was awarded the BEM, then you can rest assured it was firmly earned, and not obtained lightly. (y)(y)(y)

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Can we still buy it in hard copy? I am not into e-books but would like a copy.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You cant say that! Bl**dy hell man, if your awarded the BEM, then it is a great personnel honour, and nothing to be derided about. If Jim was awarded the BEM, then you can rest assured it was firmly earned, and not obtained lightly. (y)(y)(y)
Creep

But right....

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
It is still an honour awarded for something of value though...... and far more "earned" than simple serpents receiving knighthoods for being a jobsworth, sportsmen being awarded high honours for running quickly

Pssst........anyone want to buy some badger skins? I have plenty for sale. All colours......
it was when jim got his in the milatry,now its only awaded to civvies
i think toots you missed the point,and you give the guy i quoted a like when he posted it in the medals thread,i posted in the medal thread that an old school mate of mine got a BEM now put 2x2 together and you will get jim.(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Creep

But right....
We had guys in The Army who were awarded the BEM for actions that warranted no ordinary decoration. Mostly, they were men who had been involved in stuff that could never see the light of day, or they had served in someone else's Army with great distinction. One chap I met was awarded it for saving some Sultans life in Oman. Heavy heavy, and never to be sneered at.(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
it was when jim got his in the milatry,now its only awaded to civvies

i think toots you missed the point,and you give the guy i quoted a like when he posted it in the medals thread,i posted in the medal thread that an old school mate of mine got a BEM now put 2x2 together and you will get jim.(y)
Sorry Chris, I did miss your point. And I understand about skinning badgers. Jim skinned me today. :confused:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
We had guys in The Army who were awarded the BEM for actions that warranted no ordinary decoration. Mostly, they were men who had been involved in stuff that could never see the light of day, or they had served in someone else's Army with great distinction. One chap I met was awarded it for saving some Sultans life in Oman. Heavy heavy, and never to be sneered at.(y)
jim got his while in the army,but thats up to him tell why he got it.(y)
and i agree not to be sneered at(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
(y)(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nothing so special in my case. I got it after a 2 year tour in NI spent following an Explosives search dog called Runo. Pictures of me n Runo have been on the forum before, he should have got the medal not me.
Like you Jim they probably couldn't catch up with Runo to pin the medal on him .... :imoutahere:;)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Nothing so special in my case. I got it after a 2 year tour in NI spent following an Explosives search dog called Runo. Pictures of me n Runo have been on the forum before, he should have got the medal not me.
Deepest Respect. (y)(y) Always had that for the Felix guys based at Palace, (in those far off days). They had guts we never had, and so many paid the ultimate price. The 'Red Paw' guys were the icing on the cake, as were their dogs. (y)(y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The Red Paw of Ulster, it united members from lots of different regiments worn to the left of their regular cap badge. We lost 6 arms/explosives search guys in NI, the last as late as 91, he was my good mate Terry O'Neill. We've lost a few more since in recent conflicts because these days their job necessitates them being up front at the sharp end when on patrol.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Well said Toots!!

BEM letter 001.jpg

I was awarded the BEM in 1982 when I was in the Royal Navy and I am not ashamed of it!! The other guy on the same scheme was an officer and he got a MBE (I was a Chief Petty Officer)

Then when John Major was Prime Minister he discontinued the BEM and decreed that as the "qualification" for both awards were identical from then on anyone worthy of the order should be awarded the MBE regardless of rank or social status as to him that seemed a fairer system - Ref:-

- After a 1993 review of the British honours system, the government decided that the distinction between the BEM and MBE had "become increasingly tenuous" and the Prime Minister, John Major, expressed a view that he wanted more local people to receive their awards from the Queen herself.

Then from Eton along comes David Cameron who was appalled that any member of the "lower classes" such as as a member of the Armed Forces "Other Ranks" or "local people" such as a Nurse or Postman should be given the same recognition as a Military Officer or a civilian member of the somewhat more upper class such as a Minister of religion or a Doctor! so he once again changed the system Ref:-

In 2011 Prime Minister David Cameron announced that the BEM would once again be awarded in the United Kingdom, although only in the civil division. This would start beginning in 2012, to coincide with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.[6] In the 2012 Birthday Honours, released on 16 June 2012, the BEM was awarded to 293 people.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ole Charlie's been in a couple of magazines....

In his younger days......
For the wrong reasons...
Answers on a postcard.
No dirty ones please :D2:D2:D2

Mayfair or penthouse ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries