essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
while updating;

Changes to the law in France
From 4 January 2012 a new law in France makes it illegal to be warned about the location of speed cameras while you are driving. If you have the TomTom Speed Camera service on your device, you are breaking the law if you continue to receive the speed camera warnings and you risk getting a fine.
How to stay within the law
There are two things that you should do:
  1. Disable Speed Camera alerts for France on your device. [ show me how... ]
  2. Update your device with the latest Speed Cameras. This will remove the Speed Cameras for France from your device. [ show me how... ] Note: If you manage your device using TomTom HOME and if you don't have a subscription to Speed Cameras, you need to manually remove the Speed Cameras for France. [ show me how... ]
We are working on a new service for France that warns you about danger zones instead of speed cameras. To keep up-to-date with the latest news about this new service, subscribe to this page by clicking the Notify me link at the end of the page. We'll send you a mail when more information is available.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
What a bloody stupid law, the whole object surely of speed cameras is to keep speeds within sensible/legal limits.

The majority of people caught speeding is because they did not see the sign or were distracted and went over the limit unintentionally.

An audible warning is an extra notice that a limit is in force and surely leads to more safety.

I use the speed limiter on my car.

Peter

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
so all tomtom are doing is changing the file name and format from 'speed cameras' to 'danger zones'.......nice one :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Same in Spain and I can see it happening elsewhere..
This really does show the lie up of the 'they are not revenue raisers, they are safety camera'

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
so all tomtom are doing is changing the file name and format from 'speed cameras' to 'danger zones'.......nice one :thumb:

Have you ever been confronted by Frog cops. I have, they don't look folk who appreciate smart-arse trickery.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You can look at it two ways..

those who use speed camera warnings as genuine way of being reminded..

and those who use them in order to speed when the know there are no cameras..

on balance I agree with the French position.. and in any case, if you are not paying attention to speed limits AND adhering to them you deserve to be caught and fined.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Darklord. I couldn't find the notify me at the end of the pages, but would be most grateful if you would.. Thanks for the heads up. Mitch and Jenny.

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I was caught speeding recently,...34 in a 30. Those who think speed cameras are cash machines will be delighted to know that i was given the option of copping the three points, or going on a speed awareness course...at a cost of £100, which you "could" say is legalised bribery, a friend of mine caught at twice that was not given the option, who needs it more, you decude.

The speed awareness course reinforced the fact that hitting a pedestrian at 40 will probably kill them, but at thirty it might not, a child at 30 will probably die, at 20, might not, and as I dont want to kill anyone, i try to keep my speed appropriate.
The probelm is, I need to know WHERE the speed should be lower, or where there is a school, or accident blackspot. More signs, bigger signs, a flashing matrix showing my speed, or a speed camera I find acceptable, or a bleep from a unit in my motor.
The french making illegal a means of making you adhere to the laws on speeding, yet encouraging you to buy a breath tester to keep you legal on drinking, is beyond the intelligence of this poor soul.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I need to know WHERE the speed should be lower, or where there is a school, or accident blackspot. More signs, bigger signs, a flashing matrix showing my speed, or a speed camera I find acceptable,or a bleep from a unit in my motor.

you can set TT to beep when you exceed the speed limit ... granted not 100% accurate as it depends on having the latest mapping data installed... so I wouldn't depend on it..

As for signage, if you are caught speeding and the speed limit sign is hidden or indeed missing that can be a legal defence.

On our local bypass, the A12 at Woodbridge, the speed changes from 70 to 50 then 40mph .. with a flashing matrix saying SLOW DOWN when it sees a speeding vehicle.. There are also camera warning signs but many, I assume locals, don't bother as they know there are no cameras and carry on regardless.. and there is nothing more annoying and dangerous than being tailgated when doing the legal limit .. I pray for the day a mobile camera bags a few ..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Far be it from me to be sceptical of anything good being offered, and I am pleased they offered you the speed awareness course as it is well worth attending no matter what, but 34 in a 30 ?

I would have appealed it and had it thrown out any way.. ( Whilst ACPO only SUGGEST 10% plus 2 mph it is generally accepted.. It only takes a pot hole in the wrong place to change your speed momentarily.. Or a speedo that is slow to react.. )
Where as the older guns ( radar ) required a short time to register accurately, laser ones are effectively instantaneous taking maybe a 100 readings a second and have caused some extreme aberrations to say the least !! ( Esp the LTi 20-20 things )

But yes, I am of the school that says 20mph is 20mph, 30 is 30, 40 is 40, even 50 is 50.. But above that ? Nahhhhh The road is mine ! ! LOL !! ( this from a loke who is so tight I drive everyone nuts by doing an indicated 55 ish max in the van ! )

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
What a bloody stupid law, the whole object surely of speed cameras is to keep speeds within sensible/legal limits.

The majority of people caught speeding is because they did not see the sign or were distracted and went over the limit unintentionally.

An audible warning is an extra notice that a limit is in force and surely leads to more safety.

I use the speed limiter on my car.

Peter
what speed limiter? dont know if i have one apart from my right foot:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I am glad Tom Tom are on top odf this, but I have a Garmin Dezl.

Can you turn the speed camera warning for France off on these?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes Bob.. Its on the menu... Turn off 'Proximity Alerts'

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I could well be wrong here,but,I understood that what was illegal was a device that warned you of mobile speed cameras and not fixed ones.
I do ,however,disable any camera alerts on my Garmin when I leave Dover.
As has been said-speed limits are speed limits and we should be fined if we exceed them.I take pride in getting a 'smiley face' as I enter a town or village in France.Why the hell don't we have those signs over here !!

Mike.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The Garmin, if you have updated it recently, has already had the speed camera gubbins removed for France, when in Spain there is no icon to get to it either so in that respect it is all within the law. Jane

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I could well be wrong here,but,I understood that what was illegal was a device that warned you of mobile speed cameras and not fixed ones.
I do ,however,disable any camera alerts on my Garmin when I leave Dover.
As has been said-speed limits are speed limits and we should be fined if we exceed them.I take pride in getting a 'smiley face' as I enter a town or village in France.Why the hell don't we have those signs over here !!

Mike.

Ok.. years ago the units in question were legal.. then a case came up in Scotland and suddenly they were illigal..
Then some clever bugger said whooo ! Illegal in Scotland but ok in the UK
That was ok for about 2 years then the England govt caught up and they became illegal in England too

But.................

That is not what is being spoken of here..

In some European countries not only are detectors illegal but GPS units with the location of speed detectors are illegal.. Spain is the best known but now it looks like France is to follow.

A GPS with camera ( fixed or mobile ) locations in them is perfectly legal to use here in the UK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back