Just Realised We'll Be In France On June 6th............................. (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We're crossing over on the 4th and although I've been here before on the D-Day anniversary I'd like to do it again.
Last time we were tugging so it was easy to stay on a site (Bayeux) and just drive. This time it will be in the MH so we must be on top of any ceremonies etc.
Any ideas on aires or sites close to the beaches will be most welcome, main concern is will they be full up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We didn't have any problems finding some where to stop last year & it was the 70th anniversary, there were thousands of Camping Cars about, don't know about sites, we don't do sites.

At Arromarche they open up a field for Camping Cars on top of the cliffs on the east side of town, over 300 vans their last year, Sainte-Mere-Eglise is another town that opens up a field, Carentan opens up several parking areas for Camping cars.

We have been the last two years and will be there again this year, the only area that can be a bit difficult is around Juno beach.

Carentan has a Liberation ball last year it was on Sat 5th so assume it will be on the 6th this year, great time if you are into dressing up & dancing (jiving & lindy hop) we staggered out of there at 1:30 am last year defiantly will be there this year, entrance only €5, beer & wine €2, last year two British bands & a French band playing, a great night.
Some photos from the last two years in my gallery link in my signature.

Edit:
Arromarche also open up a field on the west side of town mainly for cars you will see a lot of vans there, but its on a steep slope the one on top of the cliffs is much better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Thanks for the replies, I feel a little more confident in getting a place now. I'll now do more research on Port en Bessin and Arromanches although perhaps the US beaches may have fewer motorhomes.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We were over there a few years ago and left it too late to find an aire anywhere; tried loads of them. We ended up well away from any of the celebrations.

I would suggest that you try to get there on the day of arrival and stay put for a few days and not leave it until the 6th like we did!

Denise

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We were over there a few years ago and left it too late to find an aire anywhere; tried loads of them. We ended up well away from any of the celebrations.

I would suggest that you try to get there on the day of arrival and stay put for a few days and not leave it until the 6th like we did!

Denise
Sound advice, thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Denise

Not necessary we were there last year one of the busiest years ever no problem finding somewhere to stop, like I said the French open up fields, one town they turned a pay & display car park into Free camping for Camping Cars. You would never see that in Rip off Britain.:)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Maybe it was just because it was the year Obama was visiting! All the laybys were closed as well with breakdown trucks in them ready to rescue anyone who needed to be moved.

There were armed police on all the flyovers as well.

Denise

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Maybe it was just because it was the year Obama was visiting! All the laybys were closed as well with breakdown trucks in them ready to rescue anyone who needed to be moved.

There were armed police on all the flyovers as well.

Denise
Obama & the Queen were there last year I even saw Kate, no problems at all. They said there was going to be a total shut down on all the roads in the area and you would need a permit for a vehicle. We applied for a permit didn't get one didn't have any problem driving about only closed the roads while the Royal visits were on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back