Just Planning My Little Adventure (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Safely at circuit in the sunshine

Not only free to camp. We also get free Wi-Fi

And the bogs and showers are hotel standard. Miles better than at UK circuits. Even the new wing at Silverstone.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
First day done safely.By 'ell it's a bit of a bugger to learn. Some of the corners are blind and hard to judge quite right. Hard to commit when you are only 80% confident where edge of track is. No chance of run off as it's just sand - not grippy Broken Link Removed

Back in the LMH supping cold lager Broken Link Removed

Oh, one lad binned it first lap of the day on cold tyres and broke his collar bone. Maybe the costliest lap in the history of trackdays Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Well, day 2 was much better. Applied some settings to frony forks that Colin from 100% gave me and bike turned much more. Much more neutral.

Yesterday I was fighting the bike and track, but today it all came together.

It's about half and half. Some corners are great and give you a giggle. Some corners, you just sort of get through. No fun, just in the way.

The fast group is fast. My mate said that Hodgy and Steve Plater went to play and as amazingly as good as they were, there were some fast last who were making them go a bit.

In the pits there is a huge artic trailer thing from Bosnia champion racing team.

This isn't a novice Mallory Park day Broken Link Removed

But we are still having fun Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Yesterday wasn't as good as day 2. I wasn't riding well and bike was losing power. Was about 15mph down on the long straight. But was still better than working ;D

Decided to call it a draw after 3 days on track and quite glad as its raining today.

Gonna take a leisurely drive to Malaga where Nookie flies home tmrw at 10:00

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We had a leisurely drive from the track to Torremolinos.
It was actually a nice place when I expected it to be loads of English bars.

While there were loads of restaurants on the front, there was only 1 bar. We did our bit to help the local economy
rofl.gif

Dropped Nookie off at Malaga airport this morning and I had a nice drive to where we are now, just near Cadiz.

I saw Gibraltar but no signs to it at all. As though the Spanish deny all knowledge of the place.

We are at a lovely campsite right by the beach :)

Only 12 Euros a night. And only a short drive to Cadiz tmrw for the ferry

The ferry sails tmrw at 17:00 and is a 31 hour crossing so we'll arrive in Lanzarote abiout midnight Wednesday :)
I can go and see Elvis a few times a day, but have a letter from my vewet asking if I could see him and walk him every couple of hours. That will reduce the boredom for both of us :)

The thermometer shows a nice 22c at the moment yet some locals are walking about in coats and hats. I've got me shirt off to get a tan
rofl.gif

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Had a leisurely drive to Cadiz and found a lovely campsite a few miles north. Lovely beaches for Elvis to run about.
On the site there was even a lad from New South Wales according to his reg plate. It was just a blue Ute with a white box on the back LOL

Got to the ferry 4 hours before sailing as I do tend to panic and it was a crap weather day anyway.
Loading took 3 hours as they just piss about so much. We were moved to one holding bay. Then another. Then through searches by Guardia Civile. They just try to intimidate folk.
Anyway, I was waved through but they searched most others. It would have taken ages to search mine with all the gear in. And how would I have explained a bike with dodgy reg. plate

Then they let 2 vehicles on at a time and we sailed 90 minutes late.
Got Elvis settled and found that I had a lovely 4 man cabin to myself :)

They were only selling cans of beer at the bar, so I snuck down to the van and got the same brand of beer from my fridge LOL
Took Elvis for walk before bed.

Had a good sleep and up early to see my boy. He seemed calm and and had troughed all the food in his bowl. Nowt spoils his appetite. Dogs can be walked on the starboard side of the deck above the kennels. He has made some new pals.
After lunch when the sun comes round, I'm gonna take book and sit in the sun with him.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Sorry. Been having too much of a good time to report on what I’m doing.

Having great time in Lanzarote and been lovely weather since we’ve been here

Had amazing bike ride and already put pics up

In between having fun, I did some looking around to plan for when Penny arrived on Xmas Eve. Also went to see a few estate agents to put some feelers out and get us on their mailing lists

Picking her up at the airport was very emotional and Elvis was obviously chuffed to see his mummy. We had an amazing Christmas Eve all dressed up and having a giggle. Most folk were dressed up and the whole place was buzzing.

Christmas day was just as good and we had pizza for dinner LOL. Well it was right on the beach and £1.20 a pint.

We spent 3 days in Playa Blanca as this is one of the resorts we are considering to live in. It’s not as friendly as Costa Teguise, but definitely somewhere to have a great day out. It’s mainly built for tourists and no real central area. There are groups of bars and restaurants, but too far apart to have a wander about at night.

We had 2 amazing BBQs by the lighthouse and Elvis could wander about quite safely J We were so laid back we almost fell over LOL

But when we come next year, we will live there for a month to get a reet good idea of how it is laid out.

Our pals from Leeds arrived on Sunday and we have been having a ball with them. They have gone all inclusive and have sneaked us in a couple of times for free beer and nosh LOL. And we took them up the north end of the island for the stunning views. I took Penny on the bike and they went in their hire car. Great day out.

Saw another estate agent this morning and suddenly our heads are turned. We may buy out here a year earlier than planned. Buying an apartment to rent out is the way to go. Very good return on investments. We can get a much better return than in the UK and will free up some more funds.

So much to think about. But good to have so many great choices.

Happy New Year to you all

Pics here

bike ride

http://s305.photobucket.com/user/Yorick_/library/Lanzarote/Bike ride?sort=2&page=1

Costa Tequise

http://s305.photobucket.com/user/Yorick_/library/Lanzarote/Costa tequise?sort=2&page=1

Playa Blanca

http://s305.photobucket.com/user/Yorick_/library/Lanzarote/Playa Blanca?sort=2&page=1

General island pics

http://s305.photobucket.com/user/Yorick_/library/Lanzarote/general?sort=2&page=1

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Great pics Yorick! Love the one of Elvis resting his head on Penny's feet! Thought it had been unusually cold in the Canary Islands? :xlaugh: Been very cold here with early morning temps of 1ºC and maximum 11ºC. Not used to it!

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Great pics Yorick! Love the one of Elvis resting his head on Penny's feet! Thought it had been unusually cold in the Canary Islands? :xlaugh: Been very cold here with early morning temps of 1ºC and maximum 11ºC. Not used to it!
It hasn't been below 15c at night but a cool breeze needs a jumper sometimes.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Well, that's me done here. Getting the ferry to Cadiz at 1:00

Not gonna do Almeria on the way back as the bike has somehow lost a lot of power. Have done 300 miles on it here, but it doesn't feel right at high revs.

So gonna head up the Portugal coast and see what happens.

Love it here and we're back in July to start the ball rolling properly :)

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Well, after a long drive yesterday from Cadiz, I arrived here in Espiche near Lagos on the Algarve. Staying at Turiscampo camp site which is fantastic :)

I had planned to meet BaldEagle but his phone was switched off. So I walked round and found the sunniest pitch available. The lad opposite came straight over to meet me and asked how long I was staying.

I said summat like “I’m err sort of meeting someone who I don’t really know”

He said “Are you off Motorhome fun and looking for BaldEagle”. He was in the pitch next door LOL. He came straight out and had a giggle at chances of being so close

Had a few drinks with him and his lovely missus Andrea and talked shite about bikes the whole time LOL

B.E. introduced me to a few more of the Brits this morning and all seem very friendly.

Tis a lovely day so gonna take Elvis to the beach when my washing is done

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Fond memories of Lanzarote but not having been there for many years it probably has changed a great deal. Have really enjoyed your postings, thank you Yorick and Elvis :coolest:

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Fond memories of Lanzarote but not having been there for many years it probably has changed a great deal. Have really enjoyed your postings, thank you Yorick and Elvis :coolest:
Yay. It's nice to be appreciated. I don't normally blog stuff, but it's not often that I am lucky enough to do this sort of trip.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Oh, and by the way. BaldEagle's missus has a Canadian accent but she is Yorkshire through and through by her parents and grand parents.
The more we chatted, the more she talked like a proper Yorkshire lass. Bless :)

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Brrr, We're home. About 4,000 miles (including 500 bike miles) in 7 weeks.

After 2 days on great campsite, I went to the beach where you can camp right on the lovely beach :)

I had chatted with Penny and we both agreed it made sense to stay while the sun was out, then set off if the weather was shite.
Had a lovely day on the beach and Elvis made some new pals. And a top BBQ as well :)

Thursday morning was lovely but a crap forecast so we played on the beach till dinner time. Then the rain came so we set off home :(

I knew the first bit of the journey would be hard on shitty roads. Managed 250 miles and hit Badajoz in Spain for tea time :)

Friday was a great day and free motorway all way to France border. Saw snow in middle Spain, but we were 4,000 ft up.
Managed about 480 miles to Biarritz and seeked out the vet to sort out Elvis' pet passport following day. At 6:30 the were still open so we popped in and they sorted him out there and then.
So, as I was feeling good I decided to get out of the town and find somewhere to kip. Well, we hit a free motorway straight away so we got to Bordeaux about 8:30 :) Another 100 or so miles.
Found a nice motorway Aire to kip for free :)
Averaged 60 all day and I wasn't pushing it. 60 - 65 all the way.

As everything was falling into place, I started to foresee a Sunday sailing. But usually crossing France away from toll roads is a slow process.
The Satnav show 11 hours to Calais on Peage. But only 1 more hour off peage.
So had an early night and was on the road at 7:45. Great roads and only a few towns to slow us down. Got to Calais 7:45 and was averaging 50mph on Satnav until last little bit. 500 miles today and was chuffed to be nearly home.

As I had no internet access, I phoned home and asked Penny to book us on the Sunday moring 9:00 ferry and we were home at 1:00

1,500 miles in 72 hours and it was no problem at all. I just drove till I'd had enough.

Getting home a day earlier than expected meant I got to spend the day with Penny. Elvis went mad as usual when he saw his mummy

I was taken out for a Sunday roast and a few beers and caught up with a few pals.

After an afternoon nap we went to our other local and caught up with some more mates.

What a fantastic return :)

Today I took Elv for his usual 4 mile walk and it was bit nippy. Need to find my jeans which are somewhere in the camper

Took 4 hours to empty the LMH today and tidy everything up. So much to do

Made Pen a nice tea to say thanks for yesterday's lovely welcome

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Glad it went well the journey back. I find that 3 days solo is not a problem even on non toll all the way.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Welcome home, now start planning the next trip and find out why the bike has lost its sparkle, but maybe the riders new chilled life has passed to the bike?
I think it's summat electronic. It's under warranty so I'll take it back and let them sort it.

It's not slow, but first 2 days on track was showing 180 on speedo, but only 160 on last day. Still bloody fast, but it lost the berserk, exciting edge.

And it felt as though it may go bang, so I stopped :laughing:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back