Just joined! looking for 1st motorhome. (1 Viewer)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
image.jpeg
A - class before and after picture

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
One other thing I should have mentioned is payload.

If you are serious about LHD then look on
Link Removed[/QUOTE]

Thanks, very useful and another site to look at.
Yes, it seems that the 3500kg limit, only gives you minimum payload. A lot of the European A class homes have large garages and enhanced payloads, which as you say all adds up.
thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Has anyone any info on the ADRIA SONIC? Think its made in slovenia.
Just that it looks a nice van and within the sort of price range, im looking at.
Most of the manufacturers are using same al-ko chassis with fiat, so engines,gearboxes, brakes, etc will be virtually the same. Ive noticed some have air suspension.
They all seem to use the same companies for cookers, toilets, heating etc. Cometic/ TEC tower/Alde/Truma/Thetford.
thanks

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Some c class motorhomes are very well insulated, some even have double floors. Don't discount anything until you have seen it in the flesh. Our is partially double floored and the tanks are insulated. We have no intentions of camping in the deep snow though.

climateguardian

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Manningtree UK
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
10yr
My thoughts are that you should really think about a wish and need list, and how are you intending to use it . If you go wild camping and like driving and enjoying the scenery, the overall size is important ans parking is car-parks can be an issue and getting into narrow streets and towns. WE have a 6m long c class hymer 522 with solar power and electric cycle on the rear. we can get everywhere , and nice to be able to park in most places anything large maybe a problem. How often do you use an oven? we have a cobb cooker instead, a large fridge is a must.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Canopus, great advice. So an A class then? Compromises! I don't really want to spend more than 50K, so it will be a 2nd hand one
We will be Europe most of the time, so maybe buying a LHD? Lots of questions!
That Mercedes based Carthago above is a beast.
We have a 2 year old Weimerarner, a German manufacturer, but built in Britain. Ha ha
Cheers
Some good used motorhomes about for £50K, everybody will have a different suggestion and favourite style and layout but only you can decide what is best for you, start with small enough to use but big enough to live in, or the other way round even.

Martin

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
My thoughts are that you should really think about a wish and need list, and how are you intending to use it . If you go wild camping and like driving and enjoying the scenery, the overall size is important ans parking is car-parks can be an issue and getting into narrow streets and towns. WE have a 6m long c class hymer 522 with solar power and electric cycle on the rear. we can get everywhere , and nice to be able to park in most places anything large maybe a problem. How often do you use an oven? we have a cobb cooker instead, a large fridge is a must.

Thanks for that, Exactly what we are doing at the moment. Looking at the list it will a 4 bed detached house, with a Rolls Royce engine aero engine.:LOL:

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Thanks Spanda. Good advice. Out of all the vans you must have seen. What made you get the Swift? I know budget is the main thing, but there are soo many that are similar prices for the same type. I have looked at yours on-line, and it seems to have a good kitchen lay out with a lot of worktop space and a nice size lounge. If you put all the things you want into the mix, you end up with 150 grand concorde or something.
Is buying a motorhome all about comprises?
cheers

We chose the Swift mainly for the layout. We decided early on that we wouldn't compromise on layout, but we did compromise on price by upping the budget a bit so we could get our ideal layout on a MH that wasn't too old, or with too many miles. That, and the fact that it has air-con - a absolute necessity to us.

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Thanks Spanda. Good advice. Out of all the vans you must have seen. What made you get the Swift? I know budget is the main thing, but there are soo many that are similar prices for the same type. I have looked at yours on-line, and it seems to have a good kitchen lay out with a lot of worktop space and a nice size lounge. If you put all the things you want into the mix, you end up with 150 grand concorde or something.
Is buying a motorhome all about comprises?
cheers

Buying our motorhome involved a number of compromises. The big one was the budget. We stretched it upwards a bit so we could get a few more things we think we need (air-con, reversing camera, 3-way fridge). Other compromises we made were that it is a manual whereas I prefer auto (autos are as rare as hen's teeth), and the fact that it is on a Fiat base and I would have preferred a Sprinter base (again a bit unusual). The things we wouldn't compromise on were the layout and the perceived level of comfort. As you said, to get everything you want would cost the earth, so it seemed to us that it is very much a case of deciding what is vital and stick to it, what are nice-to-haves and getting them if you can, and then the bells and whistles which may have to be sacrificed to keep the budget vaguely sensible.

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
We chose the Swift mainly for the layout. We decided early on that we wouldn't compromise on layout, but we did compromise on price by upping the budget a bit so we could get our ideal layout on a MH that wasn't too old, or with too many miles. That, and the fact that it has air-con - a absolute necessity to us.
Lovely home, hope you enjoy it for many years. thanks for your advice

Mickrik

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi There and ....................:welcome4:

Don't be shy of going inside a few motor homes at dealers, you need to get in there and get a feel of the layouts. Better still get to a show where you will see loads of varieties. But do not be scared of getting in there and having a poke around, just mind you don't break anything:)

Mick

Last edited:
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Hi Jezza and a big :pink: from Portugal,what a lovely pup you have!
Enjoy the forum.
Thank you Bald eagle. I'm biased, but she is the Carlsberg dog. Probably the best dog in the world.If you have the time to train and be with a Weimerarner, they are the most loyal intelligent dogs you could ever own. My kids have grown up now, so I have a new baby. I never knew you could love an animal like I love my dog. This is one of the reasons for travelling Europe in a motorhome. I can take my dog!!!

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
:hiya2::welcome3: You need to visit as many Motorhome dealers as you can,and look
in as many motorhomes as you can to see what layout suits you sir!!:):):)

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
:hiya2::welcome3: You need to visit as many Motorhome dealers as you can,and look
in as many motorhomes as you can to see what layout suits you sir!!:):):)

thanks Jo, i have found it is a bit addictive looking at the mo. I've looked at makers I've never heard of Laika, Rapido, Adria.
The problem is they all look great on the internet. Cant wait for the NEC. But even there, we are going to find, the latest, super duper models that cost the earth. The problem like many is. Champagne tastes, light ale money! :crying1:
Cheers Jezza

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
thanks Jo, i have found it is a bit addictive looking at the mo. I've looked at makers I've never heard of Laika, Rapido, Adria.
The problem is they all look great on the internet. Cant wait for the NEC. But even there, we are going to find, the latest, super duper models that cost the earth. The problem like many is. Champagne tastes, light ale money! :crying1:
Cheers Jezza

You are right Jezza,the NEC is a good place to look round but it can be disheartening to see the lovely motorhomes but they are just too expensive.
You would be better of going round some big dealers to look at a good range of models.(y)

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
You are right Jezza,the NEC is a good place to look round but it can be disheartening to see the lovely motorhomes but they are just too expensive.
You would be better of going round some big dealers to look at a good range of models.(y)
Thanks Jo. There aren't many dealers near me and I didn't realise how many companies out there who make A class models.
Most use the fiat/Al-ko chassis and engines.So the show will help with the layouts and the quality build of the different firms.
Cheers Jezza

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back