just how good should my 2.8 fiat pull?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by friar tuck, Dec 12, 2015.

1. friar tuck

friar tuck Funster

ok i know this is like how long is a piece f string. i have a 2000 year autotrail tag axle cheiftan,its fitted with a fiat 2.8 td engine no ecu or fancy electronics just a turbo.
    i am pleased with the economy as last summer on a trip through france towing a small trailer and motorcycle i averagered 25mpg,however it does seem to struggle on very slight long motorway inclines even more so if theres a head wind and i feel im using 4 th gear far more than i should.i believe there are two 5 th gear ratios available as my van but as i have no rev counter im taking a guess that i have the long legged 5th as theres quite a gap between 4 th and 5th.im now pulling a bigger trailer with a 4x4 quad on it and i feel as if 5th gear is for downhill or tailwind situations only. has anyone else had experience with this engine,when in use my motorhome is weighing approx 4000kilo and the quad and trailer weigh 600kilo.the bike and trailer only weighed 250 kilo.
    thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

To be honest you're pulling a heavy beast of a MH on an 'old' engine, so it's never gonna fly! Are you guessing at the real weight of your MH and trailer or have you actually taken the unit to a weighbridge? We used to have a 1.9td of around the same vintage on a 3,500kg Elddis and it wasn't bad but wasn't great either, however it was a lot better than the non-turbo 2.8 we changed it for!

Out of interest what's the top speed you get without a trailer at all?

3. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

We have the "newer" 2.8jtd and I think we have the same 5th gear as you, if we hit a hill doing 65-70 I will have to drop to 4th gear. We don't tow anything and are under 3.5t. So with your weight I'd say dropping to 4th gear is normal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Im in the same position, a late registered 2002 fiat cab on 4500 chassis.
    Brought here home through storm desmond, literally hated the bloody thing by time we got home.
    Much better out of the wind but still find myself changing down to 4th on long hills, even with no kit on board.
    Was worried that I bought myself a lemon but its probably just how they are.
    There is a low ratio upgrade kit available and I also considered a tunit box, but I may just hold off a while for now

5. friar tuck

friar tuck Funster

minxy girl i would say top speed is about 80-85 but only with a tailwind the weight is weighbridge for the motorhome in holiday mode and guessing the quad and trailer the quad specs say 350kilo . im guessing the trailer at 250 as its a caravan chassis and aluminium bodywork.i think the tunit box is for the later ecu controlled engines.as i understand it the early ones like i have all you can do is tweak the injector pumps.sadly it seems i have all shes got to give.
    maybee just got to save my pennies for a 3.0 engined later model. i do hope they are better?????

6. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Yep had the same on my Hymer, so I had her tweaked a little:xwink: much better now:xThumb:

7. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Any tips for what works?

9. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I had my 2006 3.9t fiat remapped by wow as it was very sluggish.
    Made a huge difference in overtaking, much more spritly, and a new fifth gear, 60mph at 2000 revs rather than 40mph.

10. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

It sounds about right, my Iveco Daily camper has the same engine albeit without an intercooler so only 100BHP but it pulls my 1500KG trailer well enough. Camper weighs in around 3700-3800KGs and on the flat its fine, it would almost certainly be capable of exceeding the national motorway speed limit with the trailer on the back but I stick to 50MPH cruising when towing. Show it a hill and it runs out of breath though, coming up the Ironbridge bypass its down to 3rd gear and working hard to get up. Yours should have the intercooler as well so I think is about 110BHP but it is a 15 year old motor now.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

12. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

We haven't had her that long and I had noticed on our tour of France this year that on the Motorways she struggled on every incline and having to come out of cruise to change down was a pain, so when we got back I did a little research and found out there was actually a guy in the village who did remaps so I told him what the problem was and he gave her a little tickle to give her a little more oomph :xThumb:

13. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

How much did you pay for the new 5th gear?

14. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

We had the Burstner tag with 2.8jtd. Bought the lower 5th gear set for £150 and had it fitted by local gearbox garage for further £ 150. Made it run along at 45mph very happy and made hills a lot better to climb. Also fitted a chip to boost bhp by 30 bhp. This made it a different van to drive. Also got another 2mpg out of it. This is the best 2 mods to do.

15. Figaro

Figaro Funster

May I ask what the tweak was and how much it cost please ?

16. f6c

f6c Funster

Frier Tuck get the engine re-mapped. Works wonders;)

17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

He hasn't got an ecu to 'remap':)

18. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

My Adria has the 2.8 idtd engine ( 5.8 metres ). Pulls well in all gears but on very steep motorway hills, will have to drop back to 4th every now and then.

19. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

I'd suggest fitting a bigger performance intercooler & having the injection pump tweaked. I always did this to my TDI Land Rovers to aid motorway performance on long climbs whilst towing our caravan or horse trailer. Its about the only way you'll squeeze more out of an old school Turbo diesel while these engines will never be a ball of fire, it can certainly take the hard work out of motorway driving.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  20. Spade

Spade Funster

I also have a 2.8 idtd engine
    Can I just ask do you find that the engine in fourth gear is revving loudly enough to change up to fifth at too low an actual speed for the van not to labour when in fifth.my van sound ready to change at about 65 kph but needs to be at 80 kph so as not to labour.
    I normally drive at 70 to 90 kph so am changing between fourth an fifth a lot