Just had my brakes fail (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i cant believe watt has happened I have just had the brakes fail on the van I serviced the disc’s and drum’s just over two weeks ago replacing one of the slave cylinder’s
Checked all the pipes and lines flushed thought with new fluid and the master cylinder has s………t it’s shelf

Wondering if I did something wrong
:cry::Doh:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
wow bill, you ok? did you press the one in the middle? if you done that mate, then it's nothing you done wrong :winky:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
No nothing of technical stuff
just hope you are Ok and theres no damage
Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I doubt it Bill...probably coincidence and would have failed anyway.

just a thought though.....you did use the correct spec fluid ?

it should be DOT 4

the wrong spec can affect seals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
wow bill, you ok? did you press the one in the middle? if you done that mate, then it's nothing you done wrong :winky:
Yes mate we just got recovered home had to change the under where it happened near thirsk on the A19 we were just going up to Scotland to see the grandkids so disappointed
:Sad:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I doubt it Bill...probably coincidence and would have failed anyway.

just a thought though.....you did use the correct spec fluid ?

the wrong spec can affect seals.

yes used the right speck fluid frome fieat think your dright coincidence :Eeek:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
master cylinders can sometimes fail after brake overhauls /fluid change due to the way the system was bled ! pumping the pedal to the floor to push the fluid through can damage the seal [which was ok when it was only being subjected to minimal movement ] but the extended range that bleeding puts on it can see it off ! i always like to use a pressure bleeder so that no pressing of the pedal is required untill the system is closed up . regards garry

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
master cylinders can sometimes fail after brake overhauls /fluid change due to the way the system was bled ! pumping the pedal to the floor to push the fluid through can damage the seal [which was ok when it was only being subjected to minimal movement ] but the extended range that bleeding puts on it can see it off ! i always like to use a pressure bleeder so that no pressing of the pedal is required untill the system is closed up . regards garry
thanks greyman i only ever use pressure bleeder i have dune for years think it is just coincidence will have her back fighting fit in a few days I hope :pray:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

I second that!

It is common for an old master cylinder bore to wear over a short stroke. When you bleed the system, the cylinder piston passes over the wear steps previously created. This cuts the feathered edge of the seals and causes internal leakage and the ability for the master cylinder to recuperate. The result is that your pedal goes to the floor!

Glad nobody was hurt Bill!:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Only happened to me once in a car I just bought going down hill pedal to the floor oh well pull the handbrake on NOTHING :Eeek: the kind owner before me had "repaired" the rear brakes single system in those days and not put the little clips that holds the brake shoe on to the post, piston goes behind shoes and pops out no brakes:shout:.
not nice when going downhill rubbing your tyres against the kerb and changing down in an attempt to stop before the sharp bend at the bottom of the hill.
Now you know why seats were always brown in those days:ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
quick hone out and a new piston and seals kit should cure it . every few years its worth not just changing fluid but doing a brake service . m,cyl caliperts and wheel cylinder kits . saves a fortune in the long run .

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
quick hone out and a new piston and seals kit should cure it . every few years its worth not just changing fluid but doing a brake service . m,cyl caliperts and wheel cylinder kits . saves a fortune in the long run .
new kit in job dune:thumb:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just comeback from my friends garage put it on brake tester thingamabob spot on says the man back on the road
::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back