Free Member
May 20, 2012
Mid-Surrey
Funster No
MH
Planning a Sprinter conve
Exp
New to it
I'm in the process of designing a motorhome since there's nothing out there anywhere near what I wanted, so I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions. If I could have bought what I wanted, I'd be gone now!

The design has settled down now and has everything I wanted from a MH and now I'm trying to pin down the equipment for it and find someone to do the conversion - I'm not doing it myself, I want it done properly :)

OK, I'll find some threads and start asking. See you around.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Good luck with it.

I would join here and also the self builders club.

I say the self builders club because there are parts of each self build that the owner won't do themselves. You may be able to project manage a complete build using the best suppliers for each bit or even find a good overall supplier/tradesman via that site.

They were a wealth of information for me and helped me through 2 vehicles self builds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bam

Free Member
May 20, 2012
Mid-Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
New to it
Thanks for the welcome!

Gromett, is the self-builders club you mentioned the SBMCC?

I'd found that before but passed on when the forum was members only (members' area I can understand, but not all of the forum posts apart from intros) and the web site was about 5 very amateurish-looking pages, but if that's the one and you found it useful, I'll give it another go.

Or were you talking about another one?

Cheers!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Bam, there are plenty of self-builders here, welcome to the Fun :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Just got here....

You're late !

But very interesting, so get get on with it now that you are here. Quite a lot of expertise here, many home builds. Though "many" is relative, it's pretty uncommon.

I'm meeting you half way and indeed you may well consider changing your plans, we bought a Burstner, found things we did not like and changed them. If you can find a close match in a good used vehicle it may be easier to re-engineer than start from scratch.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hello and Welcome!

You should contact Terry.... He is one of the funsters who converted his van ... Brilliant!
Go on his profile , I think there's a link to the convertion ... not sure though

Have fun!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

ps: on the front page tool bar click on "community"then click on "member list" then look for Terry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the welcome!

Gromett, is the self-builders club you mentioned the SBMCC?

I'd found that before but passed on when the forum was members only (members' area I can understand, but not all of the forum posts apart from intros) and the web site was about 5 very amateurish-looking pages, but if that's the one and you found it useful, I'll give it another go.

Or were you talking about another one?

Cheers!

Yup that's the one.

I would recommend joining both here and there. Both places have been incredibly helpful to me over the last 3 years and when spending the thousands you are going to for the conversion two forum memberships is small change and you will save that much very quickly.

Good luck with the conversion and please post regular updates here. I am always interested in seeing other conversions :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome to MHF

Welcome to MHF

While I can understand that some want to have the perfect build (in there mind) I would be surprised that there is not an as near as situation out there. As said I am sure you could change the parts you feel do not fit your dream. It is a case of changing the tyre not reinventing the wheel.

If you have not used a motor home for very long in the past then you are bound even in a self build to find you have to make changes. I have have owned Motor homes and RV's for over 25 years now. never had the perfect vehicle. But for me I want to use it.. not have it as a project sitting in a work shop for ever.

Wish you luck.. but for me I would do a bit more looking, how often have I read of members that cannot decide as there is so many different layouts and designs for them to chose.

I know it took me nearly 2 years to find my present RV... and that does not seem to be unusual.. a lot of people spend time looking about. Plus a motor home that s a self build will not retain it's value as well as a factory produced name that everyone knows. Perhaps that is not important, only you know.

Think you need to shell out a few £ and join a few forums and ask the questions... the £10 for this site will be the best investment you can make... so many people with information for free.

Anyway good luck and welcome to the MHF

Bob

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Couple of good points from Bob and HillDweller...

My first selfbuild was a Bus, I rebuilt it 3 times to get the layout that worked for me. Doing a self build is not as straight forward as you would guess even if someone else does the actual work for you.

You will live in it for a couple of weeks and find some things that don't work for you. This I can pretty much guarantee...

As Bob and Hilldweller say it may be an idea to get one that is as close to your layout as you can find. Live with it for a month or so and then get the modifications made. It could well be cheaper as well.

Also, before buying any vehicle get someone experienced with selfbuilding to look at it and see if the layout/changes you want are even possible,

Little things like location of water tanks and waste tanks can be affected by wheel arches and stuff under the van. For example I had to move my waste tanks because the emptying point interfered with the handbrake cables...

It's not a simple job doing a self build design.. A modification of an existing one would be much easier in theory..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bam and welcome :thumb: The link below will take you to ours :thumb:
Link Removed
There is a company at Carlton -Barnsley sports homes-Ask for Gary-(He does not know me but buys in the soft furnishings from Julie,across the road from me) that will convert what you want and make a good job of the vans I have seen.:thumb:
COPIED AND PASTED FROM A EARLIER POST:winky:
Or there are a few converters advertise on ebay that will do the job for you - you buy the van and they charge you for what you want putting into it,-that could get you a newer van for not a lot of money,but remember they will charge you the same to convert a old van as a new one so look at a newer van if possible.The same applies if you convert one yourself,say 4/5 yr old van at the right money then conversion -good luck on whatever you decide and just ask away for anything you are unsure on.

Lots of layouts to choose from so take your time to choose what suites you especially if you are paying somebody to convert the van for you.:winky:The layout is the most important thing that is why we did our own so we could have what we wanted :thumb: Even after nearly 6 yrs there is not a lot I would change.:Smile:
terry

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I'm in the process of designing a motorhome since there's nothing out there anywhere near what I wanted

Wow! I'm fascinated to know just what your ideal motorhome would be like. There's a few minor changes I would make to my own van but nothing much. :Smile:

OP
OP
B

Bam

Free Member
May 20, 2012
Mid-Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
New to it
>> Just got here....

You're late !

But very interesting, so get get on with it now that you are here. Quite a lot of expertise here, many home builds. Though "many" is relative, it's pretty uncommon.

I'm meeting you half way and indeed you may well consider changing your plans, we bought a Burstner, found things we did not like and changed them. If you can find a close match in a good used vehicle it may be easier to re-engineer than start from scratch.

Yeah, sorry, I got held up.

I have quite specific requirements (aka wishes) which are, forgetting the ordinary desires like 'converted tardis'

I need to have two single beds (I expect to travelling with friends who I don't want to roll over and meet at night).

I want to be able to create a double bed (you never know your luck) but not at the same time as the two singles.

I need a semi-permanent work area (for my computer setup and for writing - travel writing and screenplays).

I need to be able to be off-grid for as long as I can manage (I prefer independence, and there are times when it is necessary to be ready, say, for a 5am sunrise photo).

I also want to be able to have a fair amount of belted passengers as there's a bit of money to be made from airport runs from where I used to live in Spain and will no-doubt return to for chunks of time.

I need an automatic (gammy leg)

The list goes on.

I've come up with a design which does all of this, is extremely flexible, and can, if I want, be sold on as a family van (double and 2 bunk beds) or have two singles and a work area, or can have 6 bunks. It can definitely have 7 belted passengers and maybe up to 10 if the ideas I have are legal and possible - and all in an Extra Long WB, super-high-roof Sprinter.

So, brand new Sprinter (319 or may have to be the 519 - (5 tonne rather than 3.5)) and then get it fitted out.

I had a chat to one lot of converters at Peterborough and left them the plans, my email and phone but got no reply. Emailed them a week later - 'what?'. Then, 'oh yeah, we'll get back to you'. Haven't done so so far.

I need to find someone who actually wants the work! But early days yet.

Thanks for the response.

Bam

OP
OP
B

Bam

Free Member
May 20, 2012
Mid-Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
New to it
Wow! I'm fascinated to know just what your ideal motorhome would be like. There's a few minor changes I would make to my own van but nothing much. :Smile:

Hi Maz,

You want the whole list? :Smile:

If you say 'yes' I'll post what my current design/van options are. And then everyone will Know I'm mad.

Never stopped me before ::bigsmile:

Go for it, I say. I've done some really stupid things in my life but never regretted a single one, just one or two of the things I didn't do.

Bam

OP
OP
B

Bam

Free Member
May 20, 2012
Mid-Surrey
Funster No
MH
Exp
New to it
Hi Bam and welcome

Hi Terry,

12 weeks is impressive!

I'll keep those guys on record. It's going to be a while before anything gets going - I don't know what the lag time on ordering a Sprinter is, but it has to be months rather than weeks, and I have to get the house sale completed first (no chain in either direction, so no real problem there apart from the solicitors - there's a quote from Dick the Butcher in Henry IV part II that has been in my mind since the beginning of January 'First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers'. :thumb:

Apart from 'To be, or not to be' (also pretty apt) it's probably the only Shakespeare I know, but it stuck :Smile:

Bam

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back