Just getting our first motorhome

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by RogeTeri, Feb 17, 2013.

1. RogeTeri

RogeTeri Read Only Funster

Would like some advice on solar panels and inverters? What should I be looking for? Will spend a lot of time I hope in Portugal, Spain and Italy:RollEyes:

2. maz

maz Funster

Hi and hope you enjoy your new motorhome. :Smile:

What is it that you plan to run with an inverter? And what size battery bank have you got? A bit more info and one of our 'techies' will probably be able to help you. :Smile:

3. stcyr

stcyr Funster

On our old Merc 608 we had 1 x 80w panel feeding 2 x 110a batteries.
    This was more than adequate for running water pumps, shower, halogen lights, Propex heater, tv etc.

On our Dethleffs we have 2 panels: the old 80w one off the Merc, and a 50w one, feeding one 110a battery (one at the moment, planning on fitting a 2nd battery at some stage) - this runs all the above but we've fitted led lights, although retaining the original halogen lights too which we seldom use, + dual circuit Truma blowers. No probs.

:thumb:

4. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

You may find you don't need an inverter ,they are obviously only needed when camping off hook up,and you can get 12v Tvs,chargers for phones ,laptops,etc.The only thing you may struggle on is a 12 v hair dryer as they are all useless ( apparently )
    I have 2 90 watt pannels and 2 110 batteries bought of eBay and batts are fullycharged every day even in sunny Scotland !
    Tea and toast along with cooking and heating when needed all done on gas.

A warm welcome to you from Vlad and family.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. RogeTeri

Thanks for your advice

Thanks for the advice Have not collected motorhome yet so will have to check this out. Don't expect to run too much though wife will no doubt want hairdryer. Fortunately I don;t have hair! Want to take advantage of sun when I can so that when not hooked up I will still have sufficient power for lighting, tv phones eta.

Roger

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the secret is to work out how much 12v power you may use over a day then buy a panel big enough to supply that amount back into the battery.

dont be fooled by the retailer/sellers claims at to power output, nearly all quote the theoretical maximum but that is just a sales ploy.

in theory an 80w panel will produce around 6.6amps per hour (80w divided by 12v) but in reality it will be nearer to 5amps on a good sunny day due to inefficiencies and losses in the panel, controller and wiring.

most 12v appliances will have a label showing either the amps or watts it will use per hour so it isnt too hard to work out.

7. RogeTeri

Good advice

I think I will need to talk to you again, when I have worked things out!