just found this

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by 2bob, Jul 4, 2016.

1. 2bob

2bob Funster

2. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

We managed to swing away from that bridge in the 5th pic down, if it is the same one we headed 200 metres along a bus lane before getting away. Rouen is now blocked on my satnav. :LOL:

3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we go via Rouen but come off at first exit after long tunnel, turn left, follow other side of Seine go though Pont de L'Arche, nice free aire, problem solved (y)

but have also now also discovered La Mailleraye sur Seine, come off even earlier :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I do love it when people try to break the height limit, I guess they think it's a little like the speed limit: a few inches over won't hurt? :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. wasp

wasp Funster

We nearly got caught there, although I think there is a dangling chain height warning as you approach, they aren't the first and probably won't be the last

6. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

We always avoid Rouen by going via Yvetot & down to La Mailleraye or St Nicolas de Bliquetuit aires.

• Like Like x 2
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

We've done the chain thing:whistle: just following sat nav :( but luckily not much traffic about and reversed out ok(y)

• Like Like x 2
  8. travelbunyip

travelbunyip Funster

Ouch !! That's one way to spoil a holiday. I felt really bad when I damaged my rear bumper. Don't know how I would cope if this happened to us. A lesson to be learned read the signs and know the height of your motorhome.

9. Onemanandhisdog

Onemanandhisdog Funster

Saw this one on Corsica, some underpasses beneath roundabouts as you leave the port to let the cars get away. If you ever scalp you're motorhome like this, do as he did and unroll your awning to try and waterproof it, thunderstorms were imminent!

[​IMG]

10. WillH

WillH Funster

Been avoiding Rouen for a long time. Got caught out last year at a shopping centre in Arnhem followed the signs to the car park and after the barrier there was a hard right into an underground car park. Managed to turn and get out but it was a bit shirt stuck to the back. Wife never uttered a word.

• Like Like x 1
  11. movan

movan Funster Life Member

That's cos she had passed out ... ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  12. PhilG

PhilG Funster

We went through there last year , in our 7.5 tonner, cant understand how anyone can be that stupid(well i can with some folk). But yes , we did the long way round on the way back .

We were in Frankfurt on the Autobahn , and as we approached the airport there is a low bridge, loads of warning chevrons on it but no height.. we thought we were 4m, and at the point i saw it (was raining bad) i had no choice but to go under , still no idea how tall it was , but it didnt take the dish off. 3 days later in Karlsruhe we got under 3.95 with my lad looking out of the roof vent LOL.

• Like Like x 3
  13. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Some would drive off Beachy Head if their satnav told them to ... There are signs saying 'no vehicles over XXX height', then numerous height signs leading up to the tunnel - and then there it is in front of them, and they still drive on - at speed, it would appear, judging by the damage .... We travel via Rouen regularly - have done for years - and have yet to find this tunnel. Not that I've gone out of my way looking for it... Apart from the obvious, like roundabouts & speed limits, and a couple of traffic lights, we always sail straight through (over Pont Mathilde). :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Bart

Bart Funster

Wow what a way to ruin a holiday :(

15. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Feel very sorry for them ... Hope their insurance people are understanding

Whilst we had the conversion van it was Bastille celebrations and routes were being diverted the "police" turned us to the right from our route unexpectedly and we came face to face with that same bridge/ underpass ... I saw the height sign yelled and shrunk down into my seat and closed my eyes thinking I was about to be decaptitated , think hubby did the same but kept his eyes open thankfully..we were ok just.. There was no time to stop or alter as it is a fast moving location

We do our best to avoid Rouen but our new Tomtom seems to have a good route that bypasses it now ..whew

Kath

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jimbohorlicks

Jimbohorlicks Funster

I hope it wasn't a funster -there is a bright yellow sticker on the back that i cant quite make out:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  17. kcy

kcy Funster

Rouen was nearly the ruin of us too. But thanks too two bril French lads we shuffled round and got out.

18. kcy

kcy Funster

It must be great to be perfect:reel:

• Like Like x 1
  19. sedge

sedge Funster

Ages ago now when we had the Bessie, we were in Le Havre and heading in the Honfleur direction though not actually going there that time. Prior to that, for quite a number of years, So'ton-Le Havre had been our crossing of choice when going motorbike touring - or we'd been in a car. I said to Pete - Now - don't forget today - we're not on a motorbike so don't go down any of the tunnels in the middle lane of this road! He laughed and said Yes, he'd already remembered that!

Hell, takes you a lot longer with all those side junctions, traffic lights and roundabouts.

Never got in much of a mess round Rouen (been some 'scenic' ways sometimes and some boring ones, which I thought looked interesting LOL) except when the bridge was shut and there were diversions but once the 'Voie Rapide' was open again, there we were after the tunnel de Grandmare, soon out on the old 'Stella Artois' road (as we called it, there was a bar on the LHS on a level crossing, with the advert for Stella Act-a-Twat painted on the brickwork on the side of it - that I remember being there in 1976 the first time I ever saw it and it was old then. B'stards have demolished it now, though) through the industrial area, as we were supposed to be - the road leading on to the roundabout with the cows which we always enjoy reaching - brill, we're out of that lot, now! And, we quite like the cows!

20. nekarsulm

nekarsulm Funster

I have printed the m/h's height (plus a few inches) in both feet/inches and metric on the underside of the top bunk overhang, directly in my line of vision. A glance upwards now confirms my height if coming to something like a bridge/barrier.
    Thank Good those people hadn't a teenager up in the top bunk at the time......