Just found a photo of our first camper van (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Looking through the loft for something, I came across this photo of our first van, a blue VW Camper 2 berth with a Devon conversion.
We loved the van ( I had a VW Beetle at the same time) and travelled extensively through France, it never let us down and we sold it on very easily before we bought our 4 berth pop top.
This was taken around 1987 on the west coast of Brittany ( Pointe de Raz, I think) as Mrs A is getting the plastic stopper out of the cheap plonk while preparing lunch.
I also remember this was there place with the smelliest toilet I have ever been in.........
VW Camper.jpg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Looking through the loft for something, I came across this photo of our first van, a blue VW Camper 2 berth with a Devon conversion.
We loved the van ( I had a VW Beetle at the same time) and travelled extensively through France, it never let us down and we sold it on very easily before we bought our 4 berth pop top.
This was taken around 1987 on the west coast of Brittany ( Pointe de Raz, I think) as Mrs A is getting the plastic stopper out of the cheap plonk while preparing lunch.
I also remember this was there place with the smelliest toilet I have ever been in.........
View attachment 92462
The classics are so iconic aren't they? Bet you had lovely trips in her and although basic they were luxurious compared to a tent! My aunt and uncle had a pale blue Bay and used it a lot he made us a tea once and it tasted of petrol ! He had used his spare petrol can instead of his water can to fill the tank! Needless to say I never use our tank for drinking water!:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ah the old ones are the best arn't they. Lovely photo. Was in town today in a car park and there was a brilliant old Austin car there in British racing green.. I so wanted to photo it to put on here but thought the owners might think I was a weirdo gushing over it so much. :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Ah the old ones are the best arn't they. Lovely photo. Was in town today in a car park and there was a brilliant old Austin car there in British racing green.. I so wanted to photo it to put on here but thought the owners might think I was a weirdo gushing over it so much. :)
I find that most owners are pleased and proud when we show an interest so gush away Joy!!:)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
SNAP.

Our first camper van was this blue & white '75 Devon conversion, photographed on the west coast of Brittany (Penhors) c.1999. Happy days.

Broken Link Removed

@Allanm, you say "..Pointe du Raz (I think).." - looks very similar to the headland at Pointe de la Torche to me.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Our second one was a yellow VW van, with 2 fold out bunks in the roof. It also had yellow headlights!
My youngest daughter, now 24, still remembers spending most of the summer falling out of the bunk and worrying where we were going to spend the night. We never bothered, even in the height of summer on the coast, there were plenty of spaces in Municipal sites.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Not really a camper van as we had to sleep in a tent but this little van took us over 7,000 k across through UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Lichtenstein, Italy and down to Sicily on a 2 month trip in 2014
Albert_alpine_pass.jpg

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I find that most owners are pleased and proud when we show an interest so gush away Joy!!:)
The owner of the van on my sign in pic* was delighted at our interest. Some recognition and recompense for the hours he had obviously spent working on it.

*What do you call those pics - avatars, signatures, sign ins?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Avatars! Love yours have seen them converted into coffee ,
cafe stalls

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
View attachment 93822 My first camper was a VW type 2 bay window but our first family one when I was a kid was a converted mini bus.
I never liked those Commers even in the day but that one looks fab.
My uncle used to convert those, and their contemporaries, as just one side of his business, mostly as coachbuilts.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
My uncle used to convert those, and their contemporaries, as just one side of his business, mostly as coachbuilts.

My first thought was that it was a Commer too but it has an Austin badge on the front. Cracking looking campervan whatever it is :happy:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
You people with your big VW vans. My first was a Daihatsu 55 (it's top speed was 55mph with a 2 cylinder 550cc engine) in 1982. It had a self-built cooker unit operated from outside under the rear tailgate. To sleep the roof was raised and the bed pushed out so a gap was created to allow access to it. Half the bed (my side) was therefore hanging over the outside of the van and my wife was convinced that we would one day topple over.

First van.jpg

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
200365_24261111.jpg

Here is a photo (Courtesy of Leodis.net) It shows, not only in the background, the place where I started my working life (Dad's bakehouse), but in the foreground,was the vehicle, a 1965 Austin Cambridge that started my driving life. I passed my test in it. Its predesessor a 1961 Morris Oxford had Swish curtain rail fitting around all the windows. Dad and Mum slept in the back and I slept on the bench seat at the front. Spent many a happy weekend on Scarborough pier

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My first thought was that it was a Commer too but it has an Austin badge on the front. Cracking looking campervan whatever it is :happy:

Yes it's an Austin J2. I think Morris badged them up too when marque loyalty meant something.
My Dad converted it, it was his works van during the week and our camper at weekends and holidays.
This is the Thames we had next, very nice it was too!
image.jpg

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
200365_24261111.jpg

Here is a photo (Courtesy of Leodis.net) It shows, not only in the background, the place where I started my working life (Dad's bakehouse), but in the foreground,was the vehicle, a 1965 Austin Cambridge that started my driving life. I passed my test in it. Its predesessor a 1961 Morris Oxford had Swish curtain rail fitting around all the windows. Dad and Mum slept in the back and I slept on the bench seat at the front. Spent many a happy weekend on Scarborough pier
OMG. That is just the same as my first car! Austin Cambridge estate, 1500cc, full leather interior, valve radio, haha top car in it's day was that! (y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
OMG. That is just the same as my first car! Austin Cambridge estate, 1500cc, full leather interior, valve radio, haha top car in it's day was that! (y)

1622cc if you don't mind. No power steering and as comfy as your favourite armchair.
I had to do a bodge job on the floor before Dad P/Exed it at 4yrs old. Swear to God it was made from KitKat wrappers

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Austin J type, nice looking vans, Austin / Morris made some great looking vans in those days. We used Commer vans when I worked for BT. I remember one of my staff tried a handbrake turn in his, and tipped it over, the handbrake worked on the front brakes!
That was an interesting time filling out the accident report......
I've found a couple more pics of my other older vans and will post them as soon as I can get the scanner working.....

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Isn't that one of the new versions ?
Yes a Danbury , bought it off e bay , modern version tho with a lot of the " quirks " of the old ! I.e you didn't change gear you threw it into gear !
Had some proper adventures in that I can tell ya !

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Yes a Danbury , bought it off e bay , modern version tho with a lot of the " quirks " of the old ! I.e you didn't change gear you threw it into gear !
Had some proper adventures in that I can tell ya !

Fancied one of them myself but felt that they were just to expensive.
Tight Yorkshire git that I am ;)

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Fancied one of them myself but felt that they were just to expensive.
Tight Yorkshire git that I am ;)

I had the original supplied from new invoice from Danbury .......... £40K !
Suffice to say I paid nowhere near that and part X'ed it for a good price too , still miss it tho !

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
upload_2016-2-17_19-48-59.jpeg

My first moho, I converted in from a works minibus,got the roof put on for me up at dartford,
previously borrowed my dad's VW
upload_2016-2-17_19-51-47.jpeg

a few years later progressed to a new VW
upload_2016-2-17_19-52-9.jpeg

now on my 10th moho

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-17_19-52-54.jpeg
    upload_2016-2-17_19-52-54.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 30

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun