Just flipped an old dear off her buggy

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Terry, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Terry

Terry Funster

Not in the M/H BUT IN MY PICK UP :Eeek:just called at cash machine at ASDA ,as I started to reverse out(less than half length of van ) -checking my mirrors for kids (bad for them hanging around car park)an old dear came from nowhere into the rear of my truck :Eeek:I was probably doing less than 2 mph and as soon as I touched her I stopped.It flipped her off her seat onto car park floor but the buggy did not go over and remained upright.All this happened in front of a cop getting sarnies :Doh: She claimed she was alright and wanted to get up and continue her shopping on her buggy but the copper insisted she have a ambulance to check her over :thumb: No marks on her buggy or truck but she has a very slight graze on her elbow :Sad: main thing is she is OK.:thumb:paramedics came to check her out while plod checked vehicle,ins,and licence then gave me a breath test :BigGrin:All OK :thumb:
    Do I get charged for paramedic/ambulance ?I know I have to notify my ins just in case she makes a claim but she was insistent she did not want or need ambulance.All happened on a private car park (asda) so will I have to pay ambulance fee?
    terry

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

No mate.. apart from anything else you never called them, the woman did not want them either.

But, having been a passenger TWICE when something similar happened, I can say that no one got a bill at all

3. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

I don't want to cause you alarm Terry but my understanding is that places such as Asda car park are regarded the same as the public highway. It is an area designated for public use and the same laws apply. Sounds as if you will be okay, she was the major contributor to the mishap if she crossed your path while you were in motion and you have a reliable witness. If the copper had any doubts I'm sure he would have charged you if only to cover himself.

Good luck, fingers crossed.

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Thanks for the info guys:thumb: I did not get any witnesses as the copper just asked me to sit in his car straight away -only got chance to see she was OK-never even got to speak to her or anything.She was up and sat in a wheelchair within 1 min,then wheeled off into the office in Asda within a couple of mins for the Paramedic to assess her.A family member rode her buggy home and the Paramedic said he wanted to take her home :thumb:All within ten mins,no doubt the old girl will be back down doing her shopping :Smile:
    I will just wait for the accident claims line blokes now :Doh::cry::Sad:The copper said because I was driving a vehicle it is automatically my fault :Doh::Eek!:but he did see it all and said in his opinion no charges will be brought -but then again it would not surprise me if they were.
    terry

5. davanne

davanne Funster

Hi Terry
    I almost had one on saturday in our morrisons carpark.
    If my reversing sensors hadn't gone bleep I would have gone straight into her.
    I honestly couldn't see her through my rear view mirror ...she was on one of those small folding mobility scooters.....she didn't even stop just went careering into Morrisons scattering shoppers as she went.

6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Mega bucks

I smell mega bucks Terry... Duty of care to those in the car park... Public place... I can smell the notes.... Oh well. ... Good job I am retired now... That would have gone some way to my next cruise:Blush:

Bob

7. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Oh you are lucky Terry, you get double points for old ladies on buggies, only Papajohn would have got you more points.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Goldenoldies

Goldenoldies Funster

always ask if they are injured and require medical assistance three times in front of a witness,that gives the victim a chance to to get over the shock,if they answer NO get the name and address of witness then the victim cannot claim on your insurance.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JJ

JJ Funster

At the risk of upsetting some people I must say that in my teenage days, for knocking an old lady to the ground (causing no damage of course) while reversing would have won you ten "points"... But to do it in front of a copper would get you a 50 "point" bonus...

JJ

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Terry

Terry Funster

Never herd of that one,the copper asked her several times and then insisted a ambulance came to check her over:Smile: but she was a plucky old dear (about 80 ish):thumb:apparently she said she felt a fool and just wanted no fuss and to continue her shopping :Smile:
    It makes a change for me to get one of them,(buggies) I have been run over/knocked down by 3 of them in the past :Doh:I still will not be surprised if I get a call from a ambulance chasing not retired Bob :Doh:pS don't mean you personally Bob :Wink:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  11. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

It never ceases to amaze me how people (abled and disabled) can't see a reversing Vehicle or if they do seenm to want to beat it........I was having this conversation only this morning when I was atempting to reverse and all the people in the car park just walked behind me.......I wouldn't put that much faith in a driver I didn't know :RollEyes:

Hope you hear no more about it.

All the best Rick

• Like Like x 1