Just dipping my toe in (1 Viewer)

luddingtonhall

Free Member
Jun 30, 2010
Funster No
Hi there,

I'm Elaine and although currently living in the Netherlands, home is the UK. I'm in the middle of doing my research before getting a motorhome. I travel lots with work (home for about 2 months a year) and I find rentals and hotels a hassle especialy with my dogs.

So, I thought I'd get me a home on wheels that can go wherever work takes me. I'm a bit tied at the moment as I am limited to 3.5tonnes with my licence but I'm also looking at getting a C licence to widen my options a bit, just have to wait until I return to the UK.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Welcome Elaine.....

You are at the right place for advice on a prospective purchase.

Friendly bunch here....Just ask away.
:thumb:

PS Good luck with the research.
:Cool:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Welcome to MH Fun Elaine:thumb:

You have found a good place for info., lots of helpful people on here

Best of luck.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So, I thought I'd get me a home on wheels that can go wherever work takes me.

Could be a BIG problem depending on just *where* work takes you. If you were working in a city there's little chance of parking up safely.

Even in rural areas there are problems.

On campsites the savings over hotel/B&B can be slim.

It's not easy.

Then there's the services problem - waste dump and water.

Obelix67

Free Member
Aug 31, 2009
Switzerland
Funster No
Exp
I got an L reg VW in 1983
I am in a similar position, I have been mulling over this for far far too long, I left Scotland in 87, and started contracting around europe in 94.

Due to some of the locations I work insulation in a motorhome is "key" to living through the winter, whilst I am away from home. Which is why I have decided on Triple E which has the reputation of being one of the best winter useable canadien RV's.

However I have based myself in Switzerland since 2002 I consider it to be home now rather than the UK however they changed the finance options available to contractors in 2008. So now I need to get a 50% deposit for the RV of my choice and my next full time contract currently doesnt start until August.

How big are your dogs ? As that might affect what you buy so they have room to move, mine are Great Pyrenees.

The reason I ask is I am looking at the Crufts flat folding cages for bedtime, with a fold table rather than dinette area in the RV. I can be away from "home" for up to 6 months at a time and the pups can come with me as they sleep from 8-9pm (if they get a toilet break around 11pm) until around 8am, which is cool especially if I am working nightshift. I am also not looking at towing but rather using a hydralift to haul my motorbike with me so whatever commute from a campsite isnt a major issue.

Good luck on what you decide on, hope it works out well for you.

OP
OP
L

luddingtonhall

Free Member
Jun 30, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for all the welcomes.

The *where* that I work is normally on the outskirts of a town/ or villages as the contracts are in very speciallised construction, and there's just not the room in most cities for the projects, but I get what you say about the availability of sites. The services is something I'm gonna need to look into, thanks. I can be in one spot from about 6 weeks to 9 months although its usually 3-4 months. Of course the van would have to be moved regularly. Its not the cost of hotels or renting a flat that bothers me, its that finding somewhere that takes dogs can be a nightmare, especially at the short notice (often just a few days) I have of joining a site. Thanks for the thoughts hilldweller.

Obelix67, I have two mini Schnauzers, so nice and small - not entirely sure where I would put a Pyrennes in a MH! I know that Crofts do crates that fold flat and you can also get grooming table tops that fit them - I'm sure a minor modification could turn that into a 'normal' table.

I'll look into the Triple E - don't think I've heard of them, although one onf my criteria is fully winterised.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome
i wish you every success in your search for over here if you should join one or both of the big clubs there is a very good network of cl/cs 5 van sites which are cheaper than the big sites, some are on farms some are even in towns/outskirts of towns where someone has a large garden and they have turned part of it into a cl/cs. usually dogs are accepted as long as controlled and not allowed to annoy any livestock

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Hi Elaine welcome to fun
One thing to consider is wether you want a left hand or right hand drive, if you do most of your travelling on the continent then the former may be a better option for you.
Good luck in your search
Bill :Smile:

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Hi and welcome !!:Smile: we went to see lots of motorhomes we drew up a list and then a nice salesman said to us you will get a feel for the yours, when you walk in, and we did unfortunately we did not get a "feel for a motorhome at his place" :Doh:
we have now been on the road for a month and love it...::bigsmile:

Good luck in your search and let us know what you find :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi and welcome to Fun a great forum, have you thought of going around some of the camp sites in the area's you would want to be camping, have a chat to people with Motorhomes on the site's, you will soon get a idea of the facilities and costs to you, then if possible go to one of the Motorhomes shows were you will see many different options and what will work for you.
Many motorhomes today are winterised so should not be a problem. Good Luck on your search. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back