Just Bought a Motorhome!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sulli_Clan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Sulli_Clan

Sulli_Clan Read Only Funster

Decided to get a motorhome a few weeks back, and we have looked at a few of varying quality.
    Saw one on Fleebay that didn't get any bids (we figure because it was a rubbish ad), contacted them, viewed and all was good so we managed to get a real good deal.
    It's a LHD Fiat Ducato Granduco, 1999 model, 5 berth - picked it up after work last night, and we go to Dover today after packing it, to get on the ferry.
    First time we've ever had a MH, first time driving LHD apart from last night, which was easy - it's going to be an adventure, particularly for the kids who are 2, 5 and 7!!
    There will be many questions fom us probably during the next week, when we can't work out various aspects of the MH, but hopefully that's part of the fun.....

• Like Like x 3
  2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Welcome on board and all the best for your trip......

3. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Hiding ?

Location = "ghost town"....Why ? :Cool:

4. Sulli_Clan

Specials....

• Like Like x 1
  5. artona

artona

Ah constable country :BigGrin::BigGrin:

Take care over the water and have a great time

stew

6. tonywolst

tonywolst Read Only Funster

:welcomefunster:Hi and Welcome

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

That's the spirit.

We get folk on here "we've been researching MHs for 17 years now, can you help us, we don't know which one to buy, is FIAT good ?"

Not only that "Dover...ferry".

Another change from "We've just picked up our MH, we're not sure about it yet, how do you use the toilet and where can we go not more than 250 yards from home with hook up ?"

We don't need to wish you luck, The Right Stuff, just go enjoy La Belle France.

• Like Like x 2
  8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhhSBgd3KI[/ame]

9. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi and welcome i liek your spirit just pick it up and go i thought we were mad buying ours 6days before ferry but you beat that.

10. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the site, going straight abroad without taking time to get to know the van is fraught with problems. I do wish you welll you are a braver man than I. I do hope you have breakdown recovery insurance.
    most people have a local trip or two or even camp on the drive for a few days to make sure you have everything you need and learn where all the switches are, how to empty the cassette etc before having to cope abroad.
    I trust you have all of the requirements for travelling in France to save you getting fined.
    Triangle
    flourecent vests one for each person accessable from the cab
    first aid kit
    replacement bulb kit
    spare glasses if you wear them
    speed stickers (3 off) for the rear of the van if you are over 3.5t
    health insurance not required by law but could cost a fortune if you don't have it.
    Spare wheel (not often supplied)
    overseas touring insurance to include replacement windscreen.
    Axel weights are also an issue thes days as they are being checked more often and you will not be allowed to continue if you are overweight.
    board with red diagonal lines fitted to outside of bikes if you carry them on a bikerack.
    and lastly sufficient payload to bring back loads of beer and wine, you could always leave one of the kids behind.:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gran & Rog

Gran & Rog Funster

welcome and good luck

12. FULLMOON

FULLMOON Read Only Funster

TOO MUCH TOO YOUNG :Smile:

13. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi and :welcomefunster::welcomefunster::thumb:

14. staging lady

staging lady Funster

HI and welcome! Most motorhomers are very willing to help if you are on site, so just go and enjoy. We got our first van off fleabay too and our first trip out to Stratford was a steep learning curve but helped by many funsters. Remember, Paul, Nikki,Mark,Tina Glen? You all helped us get the thing working!
    Enjoy!
    Lucille

15. toledo

toledo Funster Life Member

hi

:thumb: hi and walcome to the fun :thumb:

16. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Hi and welcome.
    No messing about, just do it...love it!

17. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

That's what i like, someone with spirit! See it, buy it, on the ferry with it. Good 'on ya!
    Much better than dithering around, what if? what if?

Good luck!

Craig

18. Sulli_Clan

Well we did it. Broke down 1 mile from the house.......

Managed to sort it though as it was just me not realising the fuel guage being on the first indicator from empty with it being a diesel means trouble, got to petrol station after conking out 6 or 7 mtimes, filled up and all good - phew :Doh:
    Got to ferry, went to the Vendee, camped rough for 4 nights and 5 nights on sites, had the best time ever - kids loved it, met some nice people who thought we were mental not checking things out first before leaving - had to explain that that's part of the fun.

Couple of problems with the MH we found, hot water heater does not seem to work, although we are not sure if we're doing things right. It has a Truma heater that works fine, and also a hot water heater that has a switch panel with a red light and 3 settings: 50, off and 70. Apparently if you switch it on, to either 50 or 70 (according to the manual) the light will only come on if there's a problem, which it hasn't. But we haven't managed to get any hot water - don't know if it works off the 12v, hook up, gas or solar panel???? I think we tried all combinations, but not sure, I think we'll have it looked at unless anyone else can shed some light? There is also a removable panel outside over what I think is the water heater/boiler vent - should this be off for boiler to work?

A couple of locks broke when we were away, and also a couple of bullet hinges so I will be getting some more now we're back.

Also, the fridge is intermittent on gas, but works fine on 12v when we're driving and hook up - I think it needs a service.

We're still not sure what all the electrics and indicators on the panel mean, but managed to get by sorting out waste, water etc.

All in all a great time had by all, and we are hooked.

I would appreciate any recommendations as to good servicing places for the above in Coventry or Midlands, and any tips that might help me.

Cheers :thumb:

19. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Glad to hear you all had a good time.

I could not get water heater to work on our Hymer (when we bought it OH, being technically minded, listened to all the technical stuff) It was def. something I did wrong--but never found out what!

If you are now back in the UK maybe you could go to one of the Fun meets as there'd be dozens of people who'd be able to tell you what's what and how it works.

I've just been to look at another van but too big for me on my own so back to the small ads :Sad:

20. lunarman

lunarman Funster

If the cover looks like this then the boiler will not work on gas unless it is removed

Lunarman

Attached Files: