Just bought a MacBook Pro (1 Viewer)

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well after lots of thinking about it, I have finally got a Mac. Also bought Parallels Desktop 6 so I can run my Web Design software on it, and it seems to work very well. Not used a Mac since 1995 when I taught Photoshop and Filemaker pro. How things have changed!!!

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Well after lots of thinking about it, I have finally got a Mac. Also bought Parallels Desktop 6 so I can run my Web Design software on it, and it seems to work very well. Not used a Mac since 1995 when I taught Photoshop and Filemaker pro. How things have changed!!!

scarey prices when compared to microsift
but a lot less hassel i have found
getting used to mine now its just hard
not thinking m/soft:thumb::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Dave

It's unusual for a Mac user to go back to windoze... you won't regret coming back :thumb:

I made a fatal mistake of giving windoze a second chance .. bought a 12" Sony TZN in 2007, primarily for travel .. cost £1200. I should have known better :Doh:
It was a short honeymoon.. should have bought another Mac .. but heh ho, we live and learn.. I'm still using a 14" iBook bought in 2004 .. and a 17" Powerbook circa 2005 .. love em to bits. :thumb:

ohh and the £1200 Sony... Chaz uses it for chatting, about all it's good for .. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

A

Addie

Deleted User
The 'Webdesign Software' available for Mac is far superior to that available for PC, I would stick with the Mac based software available such as Dreamweaver which for me always seems to work better in Mac form than PC.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You spent £1200 on a laptop Jim!! and it was just for travelling, and your a Scotsman!!!!! you seriously need some help mate. ::bigsmile:

Ian

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
You will never want to go back to the "Dark Ages" of PC's

Love my Macs. They just work. Bad news is there are probably new models due out on Thursday, but you probably got a good price.
Suggest you look on the following sites: 9to5mac.com macrumors.com and buyersguide.macrumors.com
Regards
1Oll

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I like the look and feel of the mac and I am sure its a good system,
but I Just could not justify it, my windows laptop cost around me £1300 and my desktop (a self build) twice that, so its not the hardware cost, its the software. My investment in Windows software runs into many thousands. (mostly Adobe) I know you can get a windows emulator but what's the point. A windows 7 Pc with an i7 processor, 16gb of ram and a decent graphics card flys, I doubt a mac could touch it for performance. Why should I change? Convince me:Smile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
IMHO the difference between Mac and Microsoft is that the Operating System on a Mac says to you, "It's your machine so use it however you like, if you do get silly with me, I'll step in, to save you from doing any lasting damage":Smile:

Where as the Microsoft Operating System, says " You will do exactly as I say, or I will spit out my dummy and then you'll be sorry!!!!":Eeek:

Pete:Cool:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I considered a mac but in the end I bought a Toshiba laptop. I7 processor and I only have 4gig RAM but it is very very fast. I will add more RAM eventually. Thing is to buy an equivalent Mac would have cost me 3 times the price for no real gain. Apple is a rip of trading on the logo. :Angry:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Well you won't be spitting much longer Jim, :Smile: as I understand it, apple will cease production of computers to concentrate on the much more lucrative Ipod/Iphone market.

Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well you won't be spitting much longer Jim, :Smile: as I understand it, apple will cease production of computers to concentrate on the much more lucrative Ipod/Iphone market.

Ian

Really... where did you read this Ian... the Mail ? :roflmto:

but not an issue .. my Mac will probably see me out .. :Sad:

and can pass it on to Chaz ::bigsmile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I considered a mac but in the end I bought a Toshiba laptop. I7 processor and I only have 4gig RAM but it is very very fast. I will add more RAM eventually. Thing is to buy an equivalent Mac would have cost me 3 times the price for no real gain. Apple is a rip of trading on the logo. :Angry:

That's a bit like comparing a Kia with a BMW and then accusing BMW of being a rip off company trading on a logo.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
OK so if you open up a Mac and a PC, what is there in the Mac that costs so much more? :Doh:

If you open the bonnet on a Kia and a BMW you see similar parts ie engine, gearbox etc, they both have the same bits in them.

However the BMW uses high quality parts exclusively manufactured for them and then the the whole thing is fine tuned so that all those parts work properly together, unlike the Kia, hence the price.

That's the difference between a Mac and a Windows PC. Though to be fair, you can find high spec PC's, at a premium price, (similar to what you would pay for a Mac) but as yet no one has managed to fine tune those parts to make the Windows OS as smooth and efficient as Mac OS.

So, at the end of the day, you get what you pay for, be that Mac / PC or BMW / Kia.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
So you are saying rather than use Intel ar AMD processors and something like Western Digital hard drives that Apple make their own? I don't think so. My Windows machines run as smooth as silk BTW. ::bigsmile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Macs same bits as a PC he he

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 17
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you open the bonnet on a Kia and a BMW you see similar parts ie engine, gearbox etc, they both have the same bits in them.
However the BMW uses high quality parts exclusively manufactured for them and then the the whole thing is fine tuned so that all those parts work properly together, unlike the Kia, hence the price.
That's the difference between a Mac and a Windows PC. Though to be fair, you can find high spec PC's, at a premium price, (similar to what you would pay for a Mac) but as yet no one has managed to fine tune those parts to make the Windows OS as smooth and efficient as Mac OS.
So, at the end of the day, you get what you pay for, be that Mac / PC or BMW / Kia. Pete:Cool:
BMW drivers stand out like a sore thumb. What about Mac users.:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So you are saying rather than use Intel ar AMD processors and something like Western Digital hard drives that Apple make their own? I don't think so.

Wiki:
Production of the Mac is based on a vertical integration model in that Apple facilitates all aspects of its hardware and creates its own operating system that is pre-installed on all Mac computers.
This is in contrast to most IBM PC compatibles, where multiple sellers create and integrate hardware intended to run another company's operating software. Apple exclusively produces Mac hardware, choosing internal systems, designs, and prices.

Apple does use third party components, however, such as graphics subsystems from nVidia and ATi. Current Mac CPUs use Intel's x86 architecture; the earliest models (1984–1994) used Motorola's 68k and models from 1994–2006 used the AIM alliance's PowerPC. Apple also develops the operating system for the Mac, currently Mac OS X version 10.6 "Snow Leopard".
The modern Mac, like other personal computers, is capable of running alternative operating systems such as Linux, FreeBSD, and, in the case of Intel-based Macs, Microsoft Windows. However, Apple does not license Mac OS X for use on non-Apple computers.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
So we get to the nitty gritty you are paying hundreds of pounds more for a different operating system in a modern Mac.
If the processor is the same, the Graphics is the same, the hard drive is the same There is really only the software that is different. :ROFLMAO:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
So you are saying rather than use Intel ar AMD processors and something like Western Digital hard drives that Apple make their own? I don't think so. My Windows machines run as smooth as silk BTW. ::bigsmile:

I didn't say that. The parts that Mac uses, are built by the same manufacturers such as Intel but they are built to a higher spec. provided by Mac design engineers.

Hence the higher cost.

BMW have parts made for them by manufactures who also make parts for cheaper brands but the spec is very different.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I didn't say that. The parts that Mac uses, are built by the same manufacturers such as Intel but they are built to a higher spec. provided by Mac design engineers.

Hence the higher cost.

BMW have parts made for them by manufactures who also make parts for cheaper brands but the spec is very different.

Sorry I don't believe that. An Intel i7 is the same processor at the same spec in a Mac or a PC. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back