Just Bought A Hymer B544, 1990 (1 Viewer)

brainiac

Free Member
Jun 8, 2015
scotland
Funster No
MH
HYMER B544 Peugeot, 1990
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi.

I have just bought a smashing HYMER B544 on a Peugeot chassis - and it looks and runs great! Only 56,000KM on the clock since new.

Still getting to grips with the operation of the various equipment and have identified a few head-schratching things.

No water from bathroom sink/shower tap - kitchen tap ok and toilet flush works fine. Strangely, after flushing the toilet, I get a few seconds of water from the tap, then nothing. Fresh water tank half filled.

Boiler switch turns red light after a few seconds. No sound of gas 'kicking in'.

Nothing at all from gas heater. Knob just turns and pushes down. No pilot light and no clicks or sparks. Gas hob working fine. Gas taps under kitchen sink all seem to be in on position.

12V electricity to living area is on.

Very grateful for any tips! Probably much more to come :) Cheers!

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi from East Sussex and :welc:
I'm not a very experienced motorhomer and someone else will be along shortly to give advice but for what it's worth:-
You may have an air lock in the system or air getting in through a leak. I would check all connections on the water pipes to make sure they are tight.
On my old AT Tracker I had a cover on the flu and the gas heater wouldn't work with it in place.
Good luck, hope you are sorted soon (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Firstly...

Congratulations on your new van.

Secondly, I don't think any of the problems are too tricky. Can you do the stuff your self?

Bath room water needs the pipework checking. Is it a pressure switched system or micro switched one? (Does the pump come on when you turn on the tap?)

My Hymer water heater (boiler) needs a decent voltage to operate the gas solenoid and keep it open. The obvious first question is, do you have its gas tap turned on... I am sure you do... and does it have water in the system? The water heater won't do anything if it is "dry".

The gas heater might just need a new battery/batteries in its igniter (if it is a AA battery operated one).

Of course there are many other possible solutions. Can you contact the former owner?

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Hi.

I have just bought a smashing HYMER B544 on a Peugeot chassis - and it looks and runs great! Only 56,000KM on the clock since new.

Still getting to grips with the operation of the various equipment and have identified a few head-schratching things.

No water from bathroom sink/shower tap - kitchen tap ok and toilet flush works fine. Strangely, after flushing the toilet, I get a few seconds of water from the tap, then nothing. Fresh water tank half filled.

Boiler switch turns red light after a few seconds. No sound of gas 'kicking in'.

Nothing at all from gas heater. Knob just turns and pushes down. No pilot light and no clicks or sparks. Gas hob working fine. Gas taps under kitchen sink all seem to be in on position.

12V electricity to living area is on.

Very grateful for any tips! Probably much more to come :) Cheers!

If the Truma boiler switch goes red it is probably not getting gas. Have you checked the valve on the manifold is open? Mine takes a few seconds to change from red to green. I never hear any 'clicking' from the ignition system. My heater is off the same electrical circuit as the 'fridge ignition.

If the heater ignition system is not clicking I would change the battery which is located in a plastic box at the bottom inside the casing. I seem to have to change mine regularly.

Hope you solve the problems.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
The gas problem will more than likely be the burner has rotted and the central pipe is no longer in situ.
Actually easily repaired if you have the gear or replacement of burner will fix it.
I can repair if you want to post it, it's quite small item.
Other items could be multiple of things, toilet and fresh water not linked (don't think so anyway !).
Could be micro switches in taps. Gas could be different items.
Sorry I'm so vague, but all repairable.
Good van, enjoy.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Brainiac, welcome to the fun, keep asking away, I'm sure between us you'll be sorted soon. (y)

OP
OP
brainiac

brainiac

Free Member
Jun 8, 2015
scotland
Funster No
MH
HYMER B544 Peugeot, 1990
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the swift responses folks!

"Is it a pressure switched system or micro switched one? (Does the pump come on when you turn on the tap?)"
- Don't know! But the pump doesn't kick in with the bathroom tap, does with kitchen tap.

"...and does it have water in the system? The water heater won't do anything if it is "dry".
- there is plenty water in the tank beneath the rear seating. Is this what you mean?

"The gas heater might just need a new battery."
- sounds plausible. Where would I find the battery?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The gas heater battery is located in a plastic box at the bottom inside the casing.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Does water flow through the hot tap in the kitchen?

If no water flows through the hot tap then it is likely there is no water in the boiler itself and then no gas will flow or ignite.

Just having some marmite sandwiches but afterwards I will take a photo of my heater igniter (if it is the same as yours. Some igniters are wired into the van electrics.)

JJ :cool:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Might be talking crap cos I don't know your MH but maybe there is an outside flue cover that needs taking off for the boiler to work. Welcome to fun btw.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back