Just been to the Weighbridge (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Filled the van with a fairly representative load, 3/4 of a tank of fuel, full fresh water, empty waste, awning, food and my wife and me.

Gross: 3070 kg
Front: 1500 kg
Rear: 1570 kg

I can now estimate weights for additional payload, as it is added, taking into account how it will affect each axle.

I then looked at the plates under the bonnet, and am confused, as the Fiat and Autotrail figures differ by quite a lot.

I appreciate that makes no difference to tyre pressures, which I can now determine from the
Continental Tyre Pressure table, but which plate applies to the legal amount that I can load the front and rear axles?

WP_20160525_002.jpg WP_20160525_001.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Interesting, but I wonder why? Fiat designed the suspension and chassis.

And Autotrail may have downrated it for a reason.

You use whichever one you choose but you asked a question and that's the answer (y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Because Autotrail have already loaded '10 ton' of contents when they converted it into a Moho, so you only get whats left!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
don't matter what AutoTrail fitted, that only affects the payload , not the MAM

What does your V5 say .. or doesn't it say ?

whatever it says is the legal MAM

typical V5.. Revenue Weight>>>

IMG_2332.jpg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'd take the Autotrail sticker. Keep you legal and safe. While fiat make and plated it, they probably didn't forecast which chassis ends up becoming a motorhome.

Is it an Alko chassis, as then it would be different from the fiat plate, as the fiat chassis would have been removed during conversion :)

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Without trying to open a can of worms I suggest you could speak to SVTech who should be able to advise if the weight can be increased just by a paper exercise. However, it is just possible the converter fitted lower rated spring to improve the ride quality.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why not just ask autotrail it might just be a mistake .

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Does the rear chassis have springs for suspension, if so its a standard chassis.

Alko Chassis rear.
image.jpeg

Standard leaf springs.
image.jpeg

Hope it helps :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Best bet is to ring Autotrail first and ask them - it seems weird that they have down rated it to 3300kg rather than leave it at 3500kg - it doesn't make sense for them to do this as there is no licence, road tax etc difference whether it's 3300kg or 3500kg. Unless they have modified the original Fiat base running gear, chassis, springs etc to reduce their capacity for the higher weight I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get it put back up to 3500kg as a paper exercise yourself with the DVLA (or whatever it's called now!) without having to use SVTech or the 'cheaper' chap I used.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
might need anything at all . just ask then scrap the autotrail sticker . the fiat one will do. if dvla havnt got it on the log book bet they dont know anything . be interesting to hear what autotrail say.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not sure of this is relevant but the hand book for our Chausson (10 plate and on a FIAT base) says 3300 but both the FIAT and Chausson plates say 3500. It would be very interesting to find out what Autotrail say ...... did they ask FIAT and be told 3300 for some reason?

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Thanks for all the replies. It is definitely a Fiat Chassis. I will contact Autotrail, and post when I get a reply.
John

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
My Fiat plate says max laden weight 3650kg, but the Benimar plate says max weight 3500kg.
The Benimar plate is for me as I'm over 70years and restricted to 3500kg max.

If your driving licence allows, Benimar give a free upgrade to 3650kg when ordering.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
why not just ask autotrail it might just be a mistake .
Just phoned Autotrail. Apparently, the Excel 600 range were Type Approved with a chassis rated at 3300kg. However ...... it seems they had some Vehicles with a Chassis rated at the more common 3500 kg, and built some Excels on those. He said that in my case therefore, the Fiat plate is correct. He even suggested I remove the Stick-on Autotrail plate, as mentioned by some on here.

I don't think I will need to utilise the extra weight capacity, but it is a comfort to know that I can if I have to.

Deleted User
think you will find even 3,500kg is hardly enough . a trip abroad and you soon find you need a bit more payload.

??.............430k payload left on gross.

350k left on front axle

430k left on rear axle

How much payload do you need, that's a lot of wine and beer:)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no thats not alot . 3 cans beer a litre of beer a day for 6 months well call it 200ltr thats 200kg . never mind the second diesel tank . thats another 200litre plus its own weight. oh and a few solera brandy for them chilly nights . plus you never know what you might buy.
i have about 2ton payload its enough.

Deleted User
Doubt that most motorhomes would have the space to carry that much beer and wine, 26 cartons of 24 and still have 230k spare.
Second diesel tank....don't think many have one of those:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just phoned Autotrail. Apparently, the Excel 600 range were Type Approved with a chassis rated at 3300kg. However ...... it seems they had some Vehicles with a Chassis rated at the more common 3500 kg, and built some Excels on those. He said that in my case therefore, the Fiat plate is correct. He even suggested I remove the Stick-on Autotrail plate, as mentioned by some on here.

I don't think I will need to utilise the extra weight capacity, but it is a comfort to know that I can if I have to.
I'd follow their advice & remove it as if you get a pull on the side of the road they won't believe a word you say & will assume the lower weight plate is correct "Otherwise why would it be
there ? "
I can hear it now.:cautious:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Doubt that most motorhomes would have the space to carry that much beer and wine, 26 cartons of 24 and still have 230k spare.
Second diesel tank....don't think many have one of those:)

this year lidl were doing a special on the 18 can packs 3.95 just about all winter . that was just under 50p a litre . dont buy beer in uk.
mind thats why i dont drive a motor home . as it is i use 8.1 ton trainweight. but could go higher if needed.
the trucks trainweight is 9.8ton . i lowered the trailers weight voluntarily to make it a living van. better options then .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I'll bet you've got a set of sack trucks to move the stuff as well Alan :LOL:(y)
no but it does take a few visits to stores as they run out of things when we hit them.
they do let us use the warehouse trolleys in some stores .
there could be three of us all looking to stock up. its fun .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back