"Just become a reluctant solo motorhomer" (1 Viewer)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
So sad news Ray, our hearts go out to you, lots of good information here for you and hope to see you on one of the FUN rallies in the near future.
Josie & Vin

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My thoughts are with you, Ray.... this forum and the people on it will help you through the next months more than you could realise, if you will let us.. Keep posting and know that we care. Joy

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
so sorry to hear of your loss ,its not something that i have experienced,loosing my wife so i do not feel qualified in any way to comment other than there is some fantastic support on here and if i where in your shoes i would like to think that i could rely on funsters for the support and the solution , chin up buddy and get through each day one day at a time ,you never know you might end up having a crazy adventure or two, that will help temper your pain

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
I have no idea how you feel, but you have my deepest sympathy, as others have said don't change anything too quickly, you know the ropes for motorhoming so can probably cope with that. Enjoy your precious memories ..... but embrace what you can in life going forward, dont waste a minute of it, enjoy it for both of you. We have no idea what comes after or how long we have or what joy/crap is ahead make it as good as you can. Good luck and dont feel guilty, its not your fault you are here, its just how it is. :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I have no idea how you feel, but you have my deepest sympathy, as others have said don't change anything too quickly, you know the ropes for motorhoming so can probably cope with that. Enjoy your precious memories ..... but embrace what you can in life going forward, dont waste a minute of it, enjoy it for both of you. We have no idea what comes after or how long we have or what joy/crap is ahead make it as good as you can. Good luck and dont feel guilty, its not your fault you are here, its just how it is. :)

Exactly... Roy

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I have a rearview camera (Ā£12.50) on the underside of my nearside mirror so I can drive with the mirror folded when necessary (it's a tree thing). It plugs into my Garmin satnav but a monitor would only be Ā£20. However, its 120d wide-angle view means that it is only useful to see down the side of the van. I do think that much more expensive CCTV cameras might produce a better result.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a terrible time for you.

My partner was killed in a road accident and the very sensible advice I was given by other widows was not to make any big decisions for 12 months.
It's instinct to try to do something, anything, because we feel we have to change the situation we find ourselves in. You don't have to do anything right now. Perhaps meeting up with just a few other Funsters will be easier to start with.

If it's any help, I managed to drive my motorhome alone in France and the U.K ( it was left hand drive) There was the odd hairy moment as you say without someone in the passenger seat to say go or wait, but I managed and full timed in my motorhome for almost 2 years.

If I can help with any information on help I had in the early days, just message me.

OP
OP
Hydrocell
Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Thank you all for youā€™re kind compassionate thoughts, and thank you for the tip and tricks that some of you use to over come blind spots when driving solo.

I like to think of myself as an optimised not a pessimist always seeing my glass half full, itā€™s good to know there are people out there like youā€™re selves willing to help others.

I know Eileen would wish me to go and enjoy as much life as I can, but to say that itā€™s difficult is an unsettlement not just for me but also here little dog Daisy how sites by the door all day waiting for here to return.

Kindest regards
Ray

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Ray so sorry to hear of your loss, I can't imagine what your going through all though my Dad is going through the exact same just now after losing my mum beginning of January, they had been together about 55years. My dad is struggling to co e to terms with it and we're just trying to keep him busy to take his mind off things. He has booked a holiday with a couple of widowed friends in March after some forceful persuasion and I'm then taking him away in the van to do the NC500. He will get there and I'm sure if you take the time you need you'll get there also.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you all for youā€™re kind compassionate thoughts, and thank you for the tip and tricks that some of you use to over come blind spots when driving solo.

I like to think of myself as an optimised not a pessimist always seeing my glass half full, itā€™s good to know there are people out there like youā€™re selves willing to help others.

I know Eileen would wish me to go and enjoy as much life as I can, but to say that itā€™s difficult is an unsettlement not just for me but also here little dog Daisy how sites by the door all day waiting for here to return.

Kindest regards
Ray
Oh dear that breaks my heart to hear that Daisy is waiting for her. I hope you can both overcome the sadness and enjoy life again. It will take time but I'm sure you will , take care.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Ray ,after I lost my Kate I admit I was in limbo for a very long time,didn't care too much what happened to me ,then my son suggested that I use my van and do the things we had planned todo ,those first few trips were heartbreak for me ,but I persevered and started to enjoy life again..i can never forget my Kate but it is getting easier to come to terms with the loss ...I. Know only too well that feeling of despair that you are experiencing ,but believe me it will ease ,but never entirely go away...please try to come to one of our rallies/ meets when you feel strong enough ..you will be well looked after...Roy

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Lots of good advice above. Having lost my partner to cancer in Nov. 2014 I have a pretty good idea of how you must be feeling. I was a virtual couch potato for about six months before giving myself the proverbial kick up the backside. I stocked up the van and did a couple of long weekends in UK to ease myself back in - New Forest and Forest of Dean - and although the hurt and sadness were still there life began to pick up. Finally went back to France for a month in Autumn, meeting up with friends from when we used to live there. Also went back for Christmas and New Year. . Having my lab Poppy has also helped. One thing I did which has been really helpful in France has been buying the automatic toll tag for the autoroutes. It is great not having to worry about climbing across seats or getting out at the peage.
Your life will never be the same again but it will get better and there are some great people out there to help you along the way. Finally as a plus I have now got cupboard room for more than a pair of shorts and a couple of T shirts.
Good luck for the future!

Chas

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sad you are alone now mate, but there are many many solo travellers on here so at least in that respect you in good company.

Our first half decent van was a LHD hobby.
I fitted a reversing camera to it but used a 7" multi screen monitor..
I fitted a 2nd camera on the mirror arm so I could see what was coming at junctions when in the uk.
Cheap, simple and it worked very well indeed ( though often drew some inquisitive looks ! )

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I fitted a 2nd camera on the mirror arm so I could see what was coming at junctions when in the uk.
Cheap, simple and it worked very well indeed

I was planning on something similar as I mostly drive alone, but came to the conclusion that the rear view and action cameras were too wide-angle to be useful, I wondered what field of view camera worked well?

Jim

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
So sorry to hear of your sad loss Ray.

The advice given by @Hollyberry is in my opinion spot on - a very good fiend of mine who also lost his much loved wife was adamant that waiting a year before making any major decisions - like moving house or selling the 'van etc. was essential.

He told me that in his case he acted far too soon and made some life changing decisions within a few months of his loss and it was only after at least a year, when he was able to think truly rationally and objectively, that he then realized that the major decisions taken in haste were a mistake!

My best wishes for the future

Tom.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was planning on something similar as I mostly drive alone, but came to the conclusion that the rear view and action cameras were too wide-angle to be useful, I wondered what field of view camera worked well?

Jim
You can use any water proof CCT camera.
I used one from eBay that had a 16mm focal length which I found perfect.
They are sometime hard to find but sooner or later that do come up for sale on there.
I have two on my home security system as well as the one I used on the hobby..... But that one is soon to be going on the current van

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So sorry to hear of your loss.

Someone at the Falkirk Wheel meet last year had a LHD motorhome with a camera on the mirror which solved the problem.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
So terribly sad to hear of your loss. I cannot begin to imagine your pain.

Some very good advice from other posts and hopefully a little time will help you decide how you wish to go forward.

Best wishes

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Really sorry to hear about anyone`s loss of a partner. So best wishes for the future.

When doing LGV. You are taught (well I was) to "square up" to Junctions even if it means nicking someone's "Space"!. "command the road" was what I was told, otherwise you get nowhere as the "lemmings" in their cars are faster off the mark. Just ignore the "Honkers" it`s their lives you could be saving.

Pete

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Ray please accept my condolences, such big decisions ahead but as others say don't do anything to quickly, do make the effort to get out and about in your van and ease yourself into it. You could follow some of the solo funsters travels on here and you will soon realise there are quite a few widows/widowers on here, as well as many solo men and lady travellers and it's from these folk that you will get your ideas and confidence to get out in your van again.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
So sorry for your loss - so much good advice, just take each day as it comes.

Deb.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back