Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi
Thinking of taking the van to Switzerland and catching a train up on the jungfrau railway to view the eiger from the top viewing station . Anybody made this trip and have any tips or advice eg route, campsites, tickets, my van is 3850 lb can i just access all roads or do i have to buy a special box,do i have to book the railway
Regards
Wanderer

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,
You are talking of one of my favourite destinations, would recommend the lovely village of Lungern. http://www.obsee.ch/
Not the closest of stops to Jungfrau but the site on the shores of the lake is fantastic and the village with bakery, bars, shops etc.and train station is only a few minutes walk away.
You could purchase Swiss Rail travel passes and tour over a wide area and as you would expect the bus services are excellent.
Enjoy :thumb:

yoshi

Free Member
Feb 22, 2010
Gloucester
Funster No
Exp
6 months
Hi
Thinking of taking the van to Switzerland and catching a train up on the jungfrau railway to view the eiger from the top viewing station . Anybody made this trip and have any tips or advice eg route, campsites, tickets, my van is 3850 lb can i just access all roads or do i have to buy a special box,do i have to book the railway
Regards
Wanderer

Hi we went up the Jungfrau on the train nearly two years ago it is worth every penny of the £75 each it cost us i will find out the site we stayed at and let you know its only a short walk to the station from the site

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
We went up about more than 25 years ago, it seemed expensive then at about £40 now its nearer £100. You spend quite a bit of time in a tunnel in the Eiger. Just one word of advice try and arrange a day when you can actually see something at the summit we unfortunately picked a cloudy day! I do remember being very conscious of the thin air at the summit! Well worth the trip.

yoshi

Free Member
Feb 22, 2010
Gloucester
Funster No
Exp
6 months
We went up about more than 25 years ago, it seemed expensive then at about £40 now its nearer £100. You spend quite a bit of time in a tunnel in the Eiger. Just one word of advice try and arrange a day when you can actually see something at the summit we unfortunately picked a cloudy day! I do remember being very conscious of the thin air at the summit! Well worth the trip.

Your right about the weather we were there five days and waited till we got up one morning when the sun was shining and up we went :thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi
Regards
Wanderer
I went about ten years ago. It really is an unforgettable experience with absolutely stunning scenery. We were lucky and the weather was perfect all day and I spent most of the afternoon sitting at the (very popular and busy!) cafe at Kleine Scheidegg, gazing at the Eiger.

Not cheap......but it's money well spent! We went from Lauterbrunnen and there is a huge campsite just up the road from the station. You don't need to book the railway but do plan your day carefully according to the weather. Also plan to depart early am, around 8 or 8.30 in order to return around 5 or 6pm.

http://www.camping-jungfrau.ch/ (GPS N 46.58789° E 7.9103°)

Link Removed

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We stayed at Lauterbrunnen, Camping Jungfrau, for a week 3 years ago The site was in a beautiful place, but a bit expensive, and noisy because of a helicopter pad just across the river with helicopters coming and going from 8am to 6.30pm. But you could walk to Lauterbrunnen station.

The weekly rail pass seems expensive but gives you unlimited travel on most trains and cable cars. We thought it well worth it. It gives you a 50% dicount on the Jungfrau mountain railway. The whole experience was stunning, magnificent scenery.

Last edited:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Hi.
You will not go far wrong with lauterbrunnen we stopped there about fifteen years ago never went up the mounain but what scenery , also trumblebach falls not to be missed, the area can be seen in various James Bond films.
Happy travells.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

yoshi

Free Member
Feb 22, 2010
Gloucester
Funster No
Exp
6 months
Theres also the Shilthorn worth it if only for the cable car ride unless you feel energetic and want to walk up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: ctc
OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for all the info , anybody know anything about the toll system in Switzerland
Wanderer

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We went to Lautenbrau campsite about 5 years ago, agree about the helicopter noise, but its a big site. Try to ask for a pitch away from that area.

We went up on the Jungfrau railway from there, it you get up extra early I think we caught the 6am or somethinglike that and it was at least 20% cheaper. Plus you get up there before everyone else.

On the way back down we stopped at Grimvauld (or something like that).

Switzerland is expensive, but it was one excursion that is a must.

Pat

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks for all the info , anybody know anything about the toll system in Switzerland
Wanderer
Hi Wanderer,
This is the site you may want, http://www.stc.co.uk/
The vignette which is mandatory on Swiss motorways can be purchased on-line ( £27 )
plus plenty of other info.
As I mentioned earlier the Swiss Rail Pass is well worth considering if you plan to tour around, quite a few private operators also give a discount on production of a pass.

suntorfan

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Compass 2 berth
Exp
since March 09
Have been staying in this area regularly for years - my tip would be not the site at Lauterbrunnen as down in the valley it can be a bit sunless at times. I would stay at the site in Grindelwald near the Church - there is a lot more going on there and Uncle Tom's Cabin is great for Pizza.

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Wanderer

As your 'van is 3850 kg (I'm sure you didn't mean lb :RollEyes:), you will need to buy paperwork at the border that applies to all vehicles over 3500kg, and unlike the vignette, which is required for motorway use only, is required on ALL roads.

Don't panic, we found it a relatively easy transaction at the border (customs/immigration), credit card was taken, AND, unless you are there for a long time it will work out cheaper than a vignette.

I beleive there are two options, purchase a number of consecutive days at a price per day (though there is a minimum price, so it is worthwhile buying at least that number of days) or you can buy a set of 'slots' which need to be filled in with the date before you go on the road for a day. We were only offered the former, but it suited us.

As for campsites, I would echo the use of one in Grindelwald, which is higher but somewhat more open than Lauterbrunnen, and keeps the sun longer.

We used the Eigernordwand site some years ago, with a magnificent view of the Eiger North Face. Just as important was that it is a short walk to Grindelwald Grund station for the trip up the Jungfrau.

Aim for a clear day, many people go up and down quickly, but if it is clear (and it's really only worth going if it is - given the price) you can spend quite a bit of time there. A walk to the Munchsjochhutte for a bowl of soup is a good outing.

DON'T forget the sunglasses - it's all snow and painful on the eyes when bright.

Also, when we were there, the first couple of trains in the day were cheaper, and this really worked for us.

keithfal

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
Worcester area
Funster No
MH
C class Ducato LP
Exp
36 months
Jungfrau train

I agree with all the posts above! However beware coming down on the last train from the Jungfraujoch - an elderly member of our party was jostled and almost trampled by a a herd of japenese tourists trying to get onto the train. Another reason for going up early? Dont forget its about as high as you can go in Europe and take plenty of warm clothing - surprising that you see people in shorts and sandals up there on the ice.:thumb:
Keith

yoshi

Free Member
Feb 22, 2010
Gloucester
Funster No
Exp
6 months
I agree with all the posts above! However beware coming down on the last train from the Jungfraujoch - an elderly member of our party was jostled and almost trampled by a a herd of japenese tourists trying to get onto the train. Another reason for going up early? Dont forget its about as high as you can go in Europe and take plenty of warm clothing - surprising that you see people in shorts and sandals up there on the ice.:thumb:
Keith

Ah i forgot to mention the Japanese a rugby scrum springs to mind but don't let that put you off as everyone says pick the right day and you won't regret going up:thumb:

Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68
Anyone been recently? Looks like it is nearly £400 for the two of us!

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We went to Switzerland for our honeymoon and did the Jungfrau trip. Take some suncream with you. I got sunburn under my chin from the reflection from the snow! Also don't overdo things while you are up there. It's high and the air is thinner. We got a bit light headed. Enjoy the trip and don't forget to post. We are thinking of going back with the motorhome sometime soon.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Not surprised at all as the previous figure of £100 each was posted in 2010. There are other lovely mountain tops around and I personally prefer those by cable car rather than train in a tunnel.
Whatever you choose, make sure you stay nearby for the first trip up in the morning to beat the coach parties, check the weather forecast as well so you don’t end up in a cloud.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It’s a great trip up to the top we did it many years ago back in late seventies early eighties the sun shone and the ski slopes at the top were open well worth the effort, we were based at Interlaken😊

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Of the base locations we much prefer Grindelwald vs Lauterbrunnen. There is a nice experience avoiding the expensive train just by taking the regular CFR from Grindelwald up to Kleine Schiedegg (same train then continues to Lauterbrunnen) from Kleine Scheidegg you can then walk to Mannlichen (maybe about 90mins) beautiful walk but be aware they will still be snow in May, can mean wet feet whlist in shorts and a t-shirt. From Mannlichen you can then take the ski-lift back down to Grindelwald.

Like this you can sit more or less under the Eiger (nice cafe just 100m from the train station) and avoid the overpriced Eiger train where you’ll freeze your nuts off at the top….. (maybe I’m just nesh but it was minus 25 when we went up so time outside was rather short).

And as said at +3.5t you need to pay the daily rate for C1, pretty sure there’s an app for this now though.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I know this is an old thread but it brought back some happy memories of when I was 8 or 9 and went to Switzerland by 🚆 train. Overnight through France :)

I may still have my Grindelwald First badge somewhere.

Jun 6, 2021
Dunoon, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1994
That's because the £ has gradually become worthless against the Swiss Franc.
In 1999 one pound bought 2.4 francs. By the financial crash it had dropped to, if I remember correctly, 2.2 francs. Today a pound buys 1.1 francs.
We have been researching the cost of another visit to the Swiss mountains and recon we'll need a mortgage to ride the cable cars and mountain railways for three weeks.

You can buy a half fare card from the Swiss tourist office in London, £110 I think. Half fare on Swiss trains and most cable cars and mountain railways. Not sure if it includes the section of Jungfrau beyond Kline Scheidegg but last time we were there it covered everything else.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We did in many years ago with our "Swiss family" friends, we drove from Basel in our sports cars of the day, had a wonderful day all in all.
I don't know if its still relevant, but as there were 6 of us, we managed to obtain a discount "Club Card" which as we in Renault A110's we called it The Alpine Club.
Confession: I have no idea how much the train to the top was as our Swiss friends always made sure they beat us to the paying booths, I think they felt sorry for their poor English cousins.
It was a memory of a lifetime, watching the Skiers, in bright sunlight, from the decks of the most expensive bar in the world, and that was just for Chocolate or Coffee.
Take your sunglasses and binoculars, but however hard I looked I never did spot Clint Eastwood climbing the rock face;):cool::giggle:
Eiger Sanction...great film of its day.
Would love to do the same in our MH, but would need to save hard for the privilege.
LES

Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68
Of the base locations we much prefer Grindelwald vs Lauterbrunnen. There is a nice experience avoiding the expensive train just by taking the regular CFR from Grindelwald up to Kleine Schiedegg (same train then continues to Lauterbrunnen) from Kleine Scheidegg you can then walk to Mannlichen (maybe about 90mins) beautiful walk but be aware they will still be snow in May, can mean wet feet whlist in shorts and a t-shirt. From Mannlichen you can then take the ski-lift back down to Grindelwald.

Like this you can sit more or less under the Eiger (nice cafe just 100m from the train station) and avoid the overpriced Eiger train where you’ll freeze your nuts off at the top….. (maybe I’m just nesh but it was minus 25 when we went up so time outside was rather short).

And as said at +3.5t you need to pay the daily rate for C1, pretty sure there’s an app for this now though.
Sorry didn’t understand the +3.5t. We are are Rapido v68 just under 3.5t, other than vignettes is there something else I need to pay?

Mike

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
That's because the £ has gradually become worthless against the Swiss Franc.
In 1999 one pound bought 2.4 francs. By the financial crash it had dropped to, if I remember correctly, 2.2 francs. Today a pound buys 1.1 francs.
We have been researching the cost of another visit to the Swiss mountains and recon we'll need a mortgage to ride the cable cars and mountain railways for three weeks.

You can buy a half fare card from the Swiss tourist office in London, £110 I think. Half fare on Swiss trains and most cable cars and mountain railways. Not sure if it includes the section of Jungfrau beyond Kline Scheidegg but last time we were there it covered everything else.

The “Demi tariff” is now £150 but still excellent value (if you use it enough).

And as i keep saying, Switzerland is now cheap vs the UK these days🫣 thought I’d ordered the entire chip shop when back in the UK last summer and the lady asked me £25 for 3 fish, 4 chips and all the bits that go with it…

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back