Jumpstarting Fiat Ducato (1 Viewer)

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
Please forgive what is probably a dumb question; I understand there is a "point or terminal" under the bonnet for clamping your jump lead (positive I guess) on to when you need to jump start (which could be more frequent than many as they seem to flatten vehicle battery very quickly..apparantly 3 weeks is regarded as normal). I know it's a tricky one to describe but I would certainly like to be ready (always carry jump leads) but not always easy to get to the battery.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Think its on nearside back end of engine compartment, just look for a thick battery lead and follow it. Could have a cover on it

Peter

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
On the newer Ducatos there is a positive connection & an earth clip under the bonnet which you use instead of conectinfg to the battery which is under the passenger floor.
This facility was not on my 2001 Ducato.
I will get some photos tomorrow unless anyone else comes up with some :Smile:

OP
OP
C

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
On the newer Ducatos there is a positive connection & an earth clip under the bonnet which you use instead of conectinfg to the battery which is under the passenger floor.
This facility was not on my 2001 Ducato.
I will get some photos tomorrow unless anyone else comes up with some :Smile:
Fantastic really usefull for others also I guess

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Please forgive what is probably a dumb question; I understand there is a "point or terminal" under the bonnet for clamping your jump lead (positive I guess) on to when you need to jump start (which could be more frequent than many as they seem to flatten vehicle battery very quickly..apparantly 3 weeks is regarded as normal). I know it's a tricky one to describe but I would certainly like to be ready (always carry jump leads) but not always easy to get to the battery.

I believe you are getting the pics for the location of the placement for jump leads.

I will tell you somethink an RAC guy said to me, connect the leads correctly and leave them connected for about ten minutes with the donor engine going. This will give enough time to put some charge into flat battery. Before trying to start it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chewy

Free Member
Apr 11, 2009
Funster No
I believe you are getting the pics for the location of the placement for jump leads.

I will tell you somethink an RAC guy said to me, connect the leads correctly and leave them connected for about ten minutes with the donor engine going. This will give enough time to put some charge into flat battery.
Thanks Sand I've just been reading thread about buying jump leads ..it seems these modern vehicles are pretty damm fragile.. all these snippets of info are helpfull

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Its also recommended to switch on all of your 12volt systems in the hab area to prevent the possibility of spiking the ECU. Dont know how true that is, but it couldn't do any harm.:Smile:
(I will post some photos tomorrow - chewy)

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Couldn't get to the motorhome today as Brownhills have the builders in doing remedial work on the carpark & storage access.
In the Ducato manual it shows the positive connection to be found under a cover on the front of the engine compartment fuse box. Then connect the negative to the ground point at the front of the engine compartment. Then start the engine. Disconnect by reversing the fitting order.:Smile:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Just read an item in Practical Motorhome inthe Smiths Reading rooms.
The item was about how to jump start your motorhome safely and the consensus seemed to be that it was a good idea to switch on as many 12v facilities as possible. e.g. headlights, radio etc.
Apparently the alternator will supply the equipment that is already switched on and the remaining current will therefore not damage the Engine Management System.
The article then went on to give the "Correct" method for of connection for a jump start. -
1. Connect the negative lead from the donor vehicle to the motorhome engine block
2. Connect the positive lead to the motorhome positive battery terminal or jump start point.
3. Connect the positive lead to the donor vehicle positive terminal.
4. Start the engine of the donor & run at tick over for several minutes to put some charge into the flat battery.
5. Start the motorhome engine.
6. Disconnect in reverse order.

Is this the method that other motorhomers deem as being correct, because it seems to be the opposite of that recommended in the Fiat Manual ?

SJM

Free Member
Aug 17, 2009
Funster No
The positive terminal is indeed on the right hand side of the vehicle (as you look with the bonnet open) its located under a plastic flap. The negative terminal is a bolt threaded through the top of the front panel, although I usually fix to the top of the engine.

If its any consolation, my 07 x250 battery lasted 15 months before it went capput, Fiat wouldn't replace it unless I left the van with them for 24-48 hours (this is my works van so that was not an option) so I went and bought one from Partco, which cost about ÂŁ50, and its been fine since.

Stu

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
The positive terminal is indeed on the right hand side of the vehicle (as you look with the bonnet open) its located under a plastic flap. The negative terminal is a bolt threaded through the top of the front panel, although I usually fix to the top of the engine.

If its any consolation, my 07 x250 battery lasted 15 months before it went capput, Fiat wouldn't replace it unless I left the van with them for 24-48 hours (this is my works van so that was not an option) so I went and bought one from Partco, which cost about ÂŁ50, and its been fine since.

Stu

What Stu says is correct, standing in front of you Motorhome, the + POSITIVE TERMINAL is on the right hand side quite close to the top and has a black plastic flip cover with the + sign on top........the - negative is also on the right-hand side has you open the bonnet catch it will be along the front panel on the top it is a metal threaded stud sticking outwards (not into the engine bay) and pressed into the metal is the earth sign (coated in white paint same as the wing) used in electrical installation,and Diagrams (one horizontal line with three vertical lines getting smaller in the shape of a triangle) but any good earth, engine, as Stu has said should be ok,....this is for the new shape Fiat 2007 onwards.....Just had the same problem left the immobilizer on while stood over Christmas 2 months...total flat battery:thumb:

Mel

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Managed to get a couple of shots of the positive connection on the fuse box.
For the life of me, I couldn't find a dedicated negative connection, but there were plenty of suitable tabs & brackets on the engine. :Smile:

Attachments

• jump-point1.jpg
    jump-point1.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 771
  • jump-point2.jpg
    jump-point2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 757

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Does anyone use a battery isolating switch so there can't be any drain on the battery when the vehicle is not in use? It's also a useful anti-theft device. I've fitted one on various pre WW2 cars, as the Senior Partner reminds me, and of course compeittion cars also have isolating switches.

This once caused a diplomatic incident when some Froggie fireman ( a truly Pompous Sapper) tried to use cutters after we were hit by a Froggie terrorist ( complete with bombs). Luckily I got the message through, and at least that wasn't something we had to replace!

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
The pictues above show the positive connection the negative connection is a few inches infront, a bit of treaded bolt should be marked with a small decal next to it.
when fully removing the starter battery under the cab floor are there any special tip/hints so that no vehicle memory/ecu funtions are lost.
Or can you just take out the normal way.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Does anyone use a battery isolating switch so there can't be any drain on the battery when the vehicle is not in use? It's also a useful anti-theft device. I've fitted one on various pre WW2 cars, as the Senior Partner reminds me, and of course compeittion cars also have isolating switches. !

There is a battery isolation switch fitted as standard on my CI Mizar under the passenger seat. Will have to check if it's for the Leisure or engine battery :Smile:

I will have to look harder for the negative jump point. Old eyes aren't what they used to be. ::bigsmile:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
when fully removing the starter battery under the cab floor are there any special tip/hints so that no vehicle memory/ecu funtions are lost.
Or can you just take out the normal way.

I have disconnected and reconnected the battery on my 2009 Citroen Relay 120 without any problems (just had to re set the radio stations and clock, that was all)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back