Jumper starter

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by nomadic, Oct 25, 2012.

1. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Information request please,

As our motor home is/has been in storage for some time, with no access to EHU, the engine battery is loosing its charge. The solar panels are keeping the leisure batteries well topped up, but the trickle charge to the engine is now insufficient.

My thoughts are to invest in a jumper charger, complete with compressor, battery charger, etc. which is on offer until the 30 October, at Maplins.

It has a 400amp crank strength, and is apparently strong enough to start a “car, boat or motor home” but does not state the size of engine, ours is a 2.7 merc, diesel.

Can anyone please confirm if the 400amp crank is strong enough, or do we need to consider a larger amperage ?

Thanking all in anticipation.

2. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

These are the details of my battery: (2.2 Peugeot)

battery cranking.JPG

Hope that helps.

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Yes it should be OK, best to start the engine every couple of weeks and slightly move the van by a couple of feet to put the tyres in a different postion

Peter

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

why not rig up a jump lead set up off the leisure batteries . ideally with a big red plastic key switch . this could be used for jumping or even charging off the solar power .
    not much cost and if the liesure batteries are full easy work for the solar panels .
    mymate uses a 12v to 24 v battery to battery in the circumstances you quote . if it was 12v to 12v .it would have been so easy . your is so its ideal.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Can anyone please confirm if the 400amp crank is strong enough,

it will be if the engine's a good cold starter.

you do need to recharge the 'booster' on a regular basis, in winter especially.

mine booster got neglected and the battery only lasted one winter season.
    it's one of those items that's rarely used, chucked in the boot or garage and forgotten about until needed and flat.

when i took it apart it had a 17ah motorbike battery.

binned it and now use proper 600amp rated jumper cables if needed.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

As pappajohn says, they do need to be kept charged up as they are lead/acid (sealed) batteries.
    I keep mine in the boot of my car, plugged in to the 12v socket there, which is ignition controlled so gets a charge every time I use the car. The jump start is new so I cannot say whether this is a good idea but it works for my rechargeable torch which is years old and still going strong.

7. pudseykeith

pudseykeith Read Only Funster

A point to remember is if you relie on a boostr battery and the leave the vehicle battery to discharge and stay flat for long periods the acid in the battery will return to water and leave the battery US.
    PK