Jump Starting (1 Viewer)

R

Ralph

Deleted User
Perhaps you have to use the 4 batteries to power up your mobile phone so you can call the RAC?

:ROFLMAO:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The general idea for connecting the negative of one car to the body of the other is because this would be the final connection and usually produces a spark!
When you consider that highly explosive gas comes out of car batteries this would give you an idea why you wouldn't want a spark near when connecting!
As for the jag!
I would think the guy connected the jump leads the wrong way for i have jump started every kind of vehicle you can think of 12 and 24 volt and have never herd of ECU damage before! (i could be wrong though)

The only thing i have herd on a similar matter was if you bump start cars with catalytic converters it can damage the catalytic converter which is pretty expensive!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Thanks for the tip Ken.:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I suspect that there are two reasons that the AA suggest what they do.

One as George states is that it is idiot proof. And cross connection is probably the case of subsequent electrical faults

Two. once the positive lead is connected, connection of the negative lead onto the chassis would avoid sparks actually at the battery where you are proabably leaning over, without protective googles or have blown away any potential gasses.

Also, Jaguar should know! I agree, they really should :whatthe:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi George

"... a battery when exploding does so with the force of a stick of Dynomite, but as I have always said the stick of dynomite doesnt hit you with lead shrapnel and sulphuric acid........."

I like that, can I pinch your saying and use it as well - very good!

Sorry Jon, I missed this post somehow, yes no problem at all, fill your boots. :Smile:

B

baloothebear

Deleted User
Good post!
How would you J-S a BMW M5 - the latest one with the head up display?
More to the point, would you - LOL

ps - I did eventually when I found out that it was a hire car. Pos to some red thing on top of the battery and neg to the lifting eye on the engine... worked!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back