Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Dear All,

I'm starting a new thread so these details don't get lost.

Eddie's wife Smitta says they are sorting out funeral arrangements today and it's likely to be sometime the week after next. I'll update this when I get the date.

She also said the family is planning to set up a Just Giving page towards Melanoma UK, who gave him help and advice in his last couple of weeks, so maybe that should be where we all contribute once it's set up.

She also said they are overwhelmed with the number of messages and support on the forum - her son's been looking at them and she will when she can.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thank you for that . We will donate when it's all up and running .our thoughts are with his family and glad the comments on the forum mean so much to them at this sad time.

@Charlie

Thank you for the link... I will donate when the fund is set up. I share the thoughts that contributing towards maybe one day ridding us all of these horrible diseases is so important.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
When up and running will contribute to help tackle this disease which shows no mercy to anyone

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That sounds like a very sensible option, I didn't want to bother Smitta for a few days thanks for making contact.

OP
OP
Hughman
Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
That sounds like a very sensible option, I didn't want to bother Smitta for a few days thanks for making contact.

You're absolutely right Lenny - I just wanted her to know how much people were concerned and also to try and make sure everyone's desire to contribute went the right way.

It's very tricky to get the right balance. ..........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes - good.

Sorry - but can I just tell anyone who might be interested that Melanoma and breast cancer are definitely connected. I read something the other day which said that when there's a 'genetic' (BRAC) element to the breast (or indeed ovarian cancer) then there's a link - but my sister had breast cancer - with no known 'genetic' element which was successfully treated and subsequently had a melanoma which they removed. She was told then of the link - but she lived in Australia not here and they see a lot more melanoma generally there anyway for obvious reasons and therefore generally seem to know a lot more about it.

Despite being signed off 'recovered' from both - some years later another lump appeared and metastasis was by that time rife throughout. She died 12 months ago in a terrible state since although hospice space was pre-arranged and so was everything else subsequent to that, whilst she could still choose - very practical my sis - she refused point blank to go so it wasn't until she had lost it completely my BiL could get her there.

Yes it's horrible and we don't really want to even think about it - but I'm determined to tell as many people as I can to just be warned, whether they want to know or not.

I don't know what links exist for men, sorry. But you can bet your sweet bippy they will be there.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I'm very sorry to hear this sad news and my thoughts are with Eddie's family and friends.
RIP Eddie. It has been a pleasure!

OP
OP
Hughman
Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Bump, so we don't lose it.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
thank you for this info....

I wish to donate as and when apropreate.

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
Thank you for the update, it will be nice to be able to donate in memory of Eddie, it made me appreciate how powerful the forum actually is, and how close we feel to people we have never met. I am pleased Eddies son has been on the forum and read how well thought of his dad is, and I hope one day his wife is strong enough to read his posts and find some comfort there.

RIP Eddie

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I had never met Eddie, only spoke via pm messages and found him to be a real nice helpfull genuine guy, it seems really strange not having him here - I never met him, never knew him yet its strange to say i miss him... Personally i am still a little numb about his passing...RIP The Judge !

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Yes - good.

Sorry - but can I just tell anyone who might be interested that Melanoma and breast cancer are definitely connected. I read something the other day which said that when there's a 'genetic' (BRAC) element to the breast (or indeed ovarian cancer) then there's a link - but my sister had breast cancer - with no known 'genetic' element which was successfully treated and subsequently had a melanoma which they removed. She was told then of the link - but she lived in Australia not here and they see a lot more melanoma generally there anyway for obvious reasons and therefore generally seem to know a lot more about it.

Despite being signed off 'recovered' from both - some years later another lump appeared and metastasis was by that time rife throughout. She died 12 months ago in a terrible state since although hospice space was pre-arranged and so was everything else subsequent to that, whilst she could still choose - very practical my sis - she refused point blank to go so it wasn't until she had lost it completely my BiL could get her there.

Yes it's horrible and we don't really want to even think about it - but I'm determined to tell as many people as I can to just be warned, whether they want to know or not.

I don't know what links exist for men, sorry. But you can bet your sweet bippy they will be there.

I think Eddie said his didn't have the BRAC element to it, so he was unable to have a specific treatment.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I was just pointing out that should you have another cancer without a BRAC element - then you are still more liable to get melanoma than if you hadn't had any cancer and didn't carry the BRAC genes..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a reminder that both women and MEN can get breast cancer (nothing to do with man-boobs either!)- so if either men or women find changes to that area of their bodies they should seek medical attention to check it out as soon as possible and not just assume it's normal.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to add a 'lightener' to this thread in a way that I'm sure Eddie would appreciate ... and agree with!

As many of you will recall shortly after Eddie sold his camper he bought a new Smart ForTwo car - he bombarded me with loads of questions about them prior to doing so (I did threaten to emigrate! :D) and after researching stuff for him (I'm sure he thought I was his personal assistant) when he finally got one (thank goodness!) he was as pleased as punch with it and really enjoyed using it for trips out and the thrill of being able to park for free - it was so small he could get it into places other cars couldn't!

However, I'm sure that he'd be chastising himself now for being so wasteful with his money ... not on the car itself of course but the fact that he was paying £15 a month for a 3 year service plan ... as I understood from Eddie his family weren't keen on the car he'd be really annoyed at the waste of that £15 a month!!!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks @Hughman
Eddie was a very strong presence on here and he is being missed - we were lucky enough to meet him at Bagwell last year - we'll be sure to raise a glass to him during this years meet.
Glad to hear that his family are aware of how highly Eddie was thought of.
Will keep a watch out for the Just Giving page.
X

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It still hasn't sunk in yet.. I keep expecting to see the Judge post .. :(

Eddie and I locked horns a few times.. which is not unusual between two people who hold strong opinions, .. but it was never personal and I always respected his viewpoint, his knowledge and input to a thread.. He was a mine of information on many aspects of motorhoming, leccy bikes and importing..

When we were looking to purchase a PVC, it was Eddie who suggested we consider importing a Possl van.. and supplied a lot of information .. we almost bought one..

The forum has lost a valuable and respected member and will always be remembered..

we miss you Eddie.. thanks.

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back