Joining tent to a campervan... (1 Viewer)

IonaBongo

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
North
Funster No
MH
Bongo
Exp
Hello, I could do with any pointers for ways of joining an existing family tent to a campervan. I can find plenty of tent awnings/porches and plenty of campervan awnings but none which act as a go between the two!! I would like a gutter rail joint that joins to the van then a small porch then a way of joining over the existing tent.... Any ideas...?? Please!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hello, I could do with any pointers for ways of joining an existing family tent to a campervan. I can find plenty of tent awnings/porches and plenty of campervan awnings but none which act as a go between the two!! I would like a gutter rail joint that joins to the van then a small porch then a way of joining over the existing tent.... Any ideas...?? Please!

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/c-section-awning-rail-1-2-m-x-3-pieces.html

Providing your 'tent' has an edge that will slide into the C section, if you do not have a tent try these

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/awning-annexes.html

Discounts are for subscribers only!

Peter

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
could use a caravanstore as the attatchment to the van, add sides or windbreakers nudge tent up to it . You don't say what size or shape tent is. sorry that's the best I can do. Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it depends if you want to be able to detach easily and drive off or not.

basically fit an awning rail to the van and use a caravan porch or driveaway which you pitch door to door and tie down the flysheet over the joint to weatherproof the top. nobody makes a purpose made joint, but a marquee company would be able to make something to fit. look in yellow pages or google companies near you

OP
OP
I

IonaBongo

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
North
Funster No
MH
Bongo
Exp
Thanks for that! My problem is that we have a normal non-drive away tent which we spent a lot on. Now we have camper and would like to 'convert' the tent into something we can link up to the van. If we could find a tent porch which had a campervan gutter skirt on the other side then that would be great. But cant find any!!

OP
OP
I

IonaBongo

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
North
Funster No
MH
Bongo
Exp
it depends if you want to be able to detach easily and drive off or not.

basically fit an awning rail to the van and use a caravan porch or driveaway which you pitch door to door and tie down the flysheet over the joint to weatherproof the top. nobody makes a purpose made joint, but a marquee company would be able to make something to fit. look in yellow pages or google companies near you

I'm thinking this is only option, or just stop being tight a buy a drive away. Just seems such a shame to waste a good tent. Also seem daft no-one has made a simple joint porch as I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with this problem. Gap in the market!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for that! My problem is that we have a normal non-drive away tent which we spent a lot on. Now we have camper and would like to 'convert' the tent into something we can link up to the van. If we could find a tent porch which had a campervan gutter skirt on the other side then that would be great. But cant find any!!

porches need to have a firm connection to the van at the top, hence the advice to fit a C shaped awning channel to the van. it will make it possible and cheaply available. figure of 8 gutter strips wont hold firmly enough

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
its not a gap in the market if they can sell you another awning instead of your tent:winky:

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
The only way I can see to do it is to fit some sort of sun canopy to the van then position the tent doorway under canopy then hold down canopy with guy ropes.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i have the tunnel type drive away awning for use with the vw and to be perfectly honest i dont even bother fixing it to the van anymore ! the theory of having it affixed, is that it should provide a passageway through to the canvas, keeping you out of the elements. the reality is that in high winds the sides rub against the van [keeping you awake ] and when it rains, the top fills with water and becomes a giant waterbomb waiting for the first bleary eyed camper to emerge from the side door!! trying to line it all back up with the van when you return from a trip out can be a right faff as well . my advice would be carry on with the tent you have, it will do exactly the same job. regards garry

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As I said before.. We were in your position.. And we bought a driveaway awning and now keep the tent as a spare for friends and family etc. Or awning worlks very well.. Isn't noisy and doesn't collect water.. And it's huge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back