Jez & Lin

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jez and Lin, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

Hi all, joined the site a little while ago but just invested the Tenner for full access. (I am a Yorkshireman therefore you can imagine how much deliberation that one took!!) We have a selfbuilt Van conversion on a 2001 Fiat Ducato & a lovely thing it is too. We have had a wonderful 2011 in it & looking forward to getting away sometime soon. Plans include a trip to the Dordogne in September with our young Labrador, this would be my first venture abroad so any pointers would be welcome especially experiences of Eurotunnel & the journey down which I would like to do over a couple of days & possibly use Aires on the stopovers. all advice would be most welcome. Anyway I look forward to chatting with you & soaking up your combined wealth of knowledge & experience.

• Like Like x 1
  2. f6c

f6c Funster

welcome

Welcome aboard:Wink:

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

:welcomefunster:

The tunnel is the best way to take a dog, making sure the dog has a passport (PETS scheme) of course as they just travel with you in the van and won't get stressed.

If you use a satnav just set it to avoid tolls and get a POI file of aires.

Using my pre-satnav scheme just head south and when you feel you want to stop just look for the signs. Booking sites is unnecessary and inconvenient as the places you find by accident are usually much nicer than your planned destination. Everywhere is open in September and it is out of the peak holiday season. If you are planning on using any sites it is worth getting the ACSI book and card as you can save a packet.

Popular aires can get full if you leave it too late before you stop, I usually aim for early afternoon as it gives me a few hours to look round the town/village in a leisurely fashion, particularly to locate a baker for my pre-breakfast walk the next morning:Smile:

4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Just noticed your interest is Beer. The French only do lager so you may need to take some of your favourite with you.:thumb:

5. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Hallo & :welcome:

Peter & Caroline

6. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Hi Jez and Lin and welcome. We aren't too far from you and I know of at least another 3 Funsters in the Wakefield area. This is the place for the books you will need. 'All the Aires in France' is a great book, as is the ACSI book and card. We haven't used the tunnel yet since we don't shop at Tesco. All those who do get club points and go over cheaper. At the moment, we usually do the DFDS crossing from Dover to Dunkirk and Ellie, our dog, is fine in the van for a couple of hours, although I hate leaving her. When you are coming home, try to get a vet further down the country since they are more expensive the nearer to the port you get. Happy travels. :BigGrin:

Ivy

7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome, sounds as if you will fit in well here.:welcomefunster:

8. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome

Most yorkshire men realise the value of the site and its content pretty quick usually

France is a doddle, great to look around, main things to remember is 2 triangles (incase of breakdown) spare glasses (if you wear them), reflective jackets (accessible before leaving vehicle at side of road), first aid kit, spare bulb kit, and the new breathalyzer kit

9. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Hello from all of us , just down the road in Wrenthorpe :thumb:

10. aba

aba

hello and welcome to the nut house:Rofl1:
    you will see what i mean as you read the posts:thumb: