Jettons, are they all the same? (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
On another topic jettons and their availability came up.
It can be a real hassle trying to find where and when you can buy a jetton when you just want to top up the fresh water tank and go on your way.
Are the jettons for a particular makers bourne's all the same or do they vary for each town/village?
Will my jetton for a Euro Relais borne at Le Mailleraye fit a similar borne in another town?
Is it worth buying a small collection of jettons to keep in the van and use when needed or am I likely to carry them for years and never find a borne that will take them.
What do you do?

Richard.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
So much to learn before our first trip to France in June; will be watching this thread with interest(y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No they are not if you look in all the Aires France book they explain the differences and machines it's sold by Vicarious Books

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
No they are not if you look in all the Aires France book they explain the differences and machines it's sold by Vicarious Books
Yes, we have All the Aires but, although they describe and illustrate the different types and jettons used it isn't clear if the same machines use the same pattern of jetton in all locations.
Most jettons have grooves cut to fit the machine but are those cuts the same for all locations or do they vary from town to town?
It would be simple for the manufacturers to have a slightly different pattern of grooves to fit different machines.

Richard.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
It would be simple for the manufacturers to have a slightly different pattern of grooves to fit different machines.

Yes it would but it would be hell trying to sort them out for the same machine afterwards, the two jettons I have used worked on the same manufacturers machines in different locations.

Another point, I have noticed more Aires have switched to credit card from jettons too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
In our experience, the jetons vary from town to town.
That is what I would expect. :(
Yes it would but it would be hell trying to sort them out for the same machine afterwards, the two jettons I have used worked on the same manufacturers machines in different locations.
That is what I hoped. :D

Richard.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
In our experience the Jetton for one type will fit machines of the same make.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
On another topic jettons and their availability came up.
It can be a real hassle trying to find where and when you can buy a jetton when you just want to top up the fresh water tank and go on your way.
Are the jettons for a particular makers bourne's all the same or do they vary for each town/village?
Will my jetton for a Euro Relais borne at Le Mailleraye fit a similar borne in another town?
Is it worth buying a small collection of jettons to keep in the van and use when needed or am I likely to carry them for years and never find a borne that will take them.
What do you do?

Richard.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...a-chaser-feb-2017.145381/page-16#post-2238694

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Over the past 10 years we've only come across 2 Aires that take jettons. 3 that want C/C and most others are either free or payable via the local Marie or bakers. However, we tend to fill and dump at places that are free and places that charge we don't unless we're desperate. Thinking about it, one of the jettons places was EHU and water was free.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We still have 2 from 2010 not found anywhere else to use them .

We also have a couple in the ashtrain from a trip in 2011 I will use them one day I'm to tight to throw them away :LOL:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I find this too but only when the Bourne manufacturer is different, is that what you mean?
Not sure. We carried one or two around for ages a few years ago (one may still be in the van) but could never find another bourne to accept them. I think they were originally for a EuroRelais bourne.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We've been using the Aires in France for many years, holidays to start with then 3 months & more, last year it got into about 7 months-all told-and I think we've used about 2 Jetons!
Mostly the bournes use money, are free (water inc in Aires fee) or you pay at the Marie.
If you are lucky you'll find free water, we always fill up the tank & water bottles every time we see free water even going slightly out of our way to do so!
We did find they some Aire bournes take your money and don't give you a lot of water. The bournes on Supermarché are usually better!

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
As you see we live in France and before settling here did a lot of aire stop overs. Four years ago we got four jetons from the Maries office and still have them. I think we have only found the aire at La Millerae that that needed them to obtain a 100 litres of water. There will be others I am sure but they are rarely needed and if they are you can get them at the local boulangerie or from the Marie.
As an aside we have always found a watering can more convenientthan a hose for topping up or filling up with

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We have a small collection of Jetons which are used quire often, there is nothing worse than arriving at an aire in the evening to find that all the places selling local Jetons are shut. Saying that we have noticed that more and more aires are starting to charge and card payment being the prefered method.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We have a small collection of Jetons which are used quire often, there is nothing worse than arriving at an aire in the evening to find that all the places selling local Jetons are shut. Saying that we have noticed that more and more aires are starting to charge and card payment being the prefered method.
Are you saying Mike that jettons purchased at one town fitted the same make of bourne in another area? If so, that is what I am trying to establish.

We have a box of assorted jettons. Never found one to fit another yet.
Buy only one at a time.
Phil
Phil's reply appears to contradict what @FJmike says.

Confused .com

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
weve done 3 month long trips in france and have never bought a jeton yet we do use a site every 4 days usually for washing machines or to fill up empty outjust do what the french do wait for someone else to pay and rush over to join in

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi @Clarky ,
I have a small collection of Jetons , only been able to find one of said collection to work elsewhere , euro relais , they seem to be the same . but haven't found anywhere for the others , I'm not giving up hope , will take them with me in June & Sept . Must admit that I do my research on aires for free water before we go,& never drive by one without filling up tank+spare 5ltr bottles.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are finding a lot of the free to use services are all turned off, presumably due to cold weather

that would be really annoying though to hunt down the right jeton then find the water turned off, have to hope the seller would be honest enough to tell you

Sancoins could have been one of them I reckon, the Tabac was closed anyway, but the taps had no ends on to give a clue they wouldn't have worked at least

just stopped for lunch now and the water is off at this one as well although wold have been free

Personally I would like to see them take 2€ coins, but guess that leaves them vulnerable to theft

Hope Bonneval has water on, getting a little low now, might just pop in to Marboue on the way in case

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
Don't know if this is of help re Aires switched off but at a couple we've visited this year I've been able to temporarily switch the water back on by searching for a manhole cover in the immediate vicinity of the tap.. The cover measures about 18" x 12" and on one occasion was painted blue which apparently is the International colour for water supply.
Lift the cover, take the water (if free) and turn off again.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
we are finding a lot of the free to use services are all turned off, presumably due to cold weather

that would be really annoying though to hunt down the right jeton then find the water turned off, have to hope the seller would be honest enough to tell you

Sancoins could have been one of them I reckon, the Tabac was closed anyway, but the taps had no ends on to give a clue they wouldn't have worked at least

just stopped for lunch now and the water is off at this one as well although wold have been free

Personally I would like to see them take 2€ coins, but guess that leaves them vulnerable to theft

Hope Bonneval has water on, getting a little low now, might just pop in to Marboue on the way in case
Water was on at Bonneval in mid December as we topped up there.

Richard.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
For the OP.

To the best of my knowledge, all machines from the same manufacturer take the same Jeton.

There is very little if any consistancy amongst Aires as to the manufacture of the Bourne.

Personally, when ever we need to buy Jeton, we buy two, and keep one in reserve, and we also keep 2/3 €2 pieces with them as well. We are in the fortunate position of not having to be to concerned about the odd €2 here and there and would sooner have them available as and when they're needed.

Malcolm

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have a small collection of Jetons which are used quire often, there is nothing worse than arriving at an aire in the evening to find that all the places selling local Jetons are shut. .

Same here. Whenever I need to buy one I always get a spare or two to add to the collection.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back